OCCRA
Go to Post In Soviet Russia, FTC support you! - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 07:46 AM
AKA: Gady Huberman
FRC #5654 (PHOENIX)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
gadyh will become famous soon enough
help choosing DS gearbox

hi everyone,
our team is looking for a DS gearbox for using on transmission.
the two gearboxes we are looking at are the Andymark's EVO shifter and the VEX ball shifter.

we have two main requirements for the gearbox:
1. to be easily compatible with kit chassis
2. to be able to mount an encoder easily

what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two?

thank you
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:05 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: help choosing DS gearbox

My team has not run the VEX Ball Shifter (yet), but I have inspected and/or consulted on several robots that used them. Those teams seemed to be generally pretty satisfied, and I have seen no pattern of issues. Others with more direct experience should comment further.

We did run the EVOs in 2017. They are extremely reliable compared with every other gearbox that we have used -- 89 competition matches* so far, with no issues and very limited maintenance. We clean them periodically to remove carpet debris. What sold us on them was ease of use. They come pre-assembled, including both the shift cylinder and the encoder. And of course, the tech support from AndyMark has been outstanding.

------------
*Five regular events and one off-season, AOTW. One more off-season until we retire the 2017 'bot!

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:20 AM
AKA: Gady Huberman
FRC #5654 (PHOENIX)

Rookie Year: 2008
gadyh will become famous soon enough

The bigest drawback of the EVO related to the ball shifter is the price, and since in israel we need to pay an extra of 42% for the import, its even worse.
Is the price difference really worth it?
Also the fact that the the EVO use an unusual pinion gear for the cim motor makes a little problem.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK the only three gearboxes that are out-of-the-box compatible with the AM14U chassis are the TB Mini (i.e. the stock gearbox), the 3CIM4U, and the EVO shifter. Of those, only the EVO is a shifting gearbox. I've heard good things about them, but have no experience personally.

From Vex, none of the gearboxes are out-of-the-box compatible, but they have a guide to using their products with a kit chassis. Pretty much any gearbox can be used, but you'll need to add the proper mounting holes.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Mentor/Drive Coach
AKA: Zach CH
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
StAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud of

If you're looking for ease of compatibility with the kit chassis than the EVO will probably be the way to go.

The vex gearboxes can be mounted by drilling holes to mount them, but it requires a decent amount of precision.

Having used the Vexpro ball shifters and the West Coast Dual Speed gearboxes, I prefer the WC ones because we've experienced some warping with the plastic casing of the ball shifters by the end of the season.
3 RCA's, 1 Regional Finalist, 2017 Houston Chairmans Finalist
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAxis View Post
The vex gearboxes can be mounted by drilling holes to mount them, but it requires a decent amount of precision.
It's actually not that bad. You just take the 3rd stage support plate, press a bearing through both the stage and the AM14U sideplate, then clamp the plate in place. Then you just match drill through both. It's a little work but nothing a decent FRC team can't handle.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadyh View Post
Is the price difference really worth it?
EVOs are more expensive. Comparing at the 2 CIM 2 stage configuration, the difference is about $100. Considering that competitive auton will likely require drive train encoders, adding those to the Ball Shifter will cost about $50, plus whatever you spend to mount them.

For us, the EVO's reliability* and ease of integration is worth the extra $50. Every team has to make that calculation for itself.

--------
*Reliability is worth a lot to us, as I think it will be for any team playing in the district format. Time between matches is short, and a gearbox repair is very likely to mean missing your next match.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: