OCCRA
Go to Post To me it looks like the blue alliance won the match, but lost a game of Simon Says immediately afterward. - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
#0599 (Robo-Dox)

Mr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Van has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Robots Not At Championship, 2012 Edition

We really shouldn't be surprised by great teams not making it to the Championships - especially this year. The 3-team serpentine alliance selection system increases the likelihood that the "3rd best" team will not win. In fact, it assures that at least one of the regional winners will not be among the best robots (if any scouts at the event have done their job). With Coopertition Points re-arranging the ranking so much this year, there is an even greater chance that the "best" teams are not ranked as highly as they might be. They get more evenly distributed and only one alliance gets the win.

The district model seems to help this situation, but most of us are not in districts yet.

- Mr. Van
Robodox
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Coach Drew?!?!
AKA: Drew Disbury
FRC #1251 (TechTigers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
techtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to techtiger1

I'm alittle suprised to see numbers like 188 and 910 not on the CMP list, even without seeing their robots.
2006 Palmetto Regional Winner
2007 Orlando Regional Winner
2008 Orlando Regional Winner
2010 Orlando Regional Winner
2013 South Florida Regional Winner
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Van View Post
We really shouldn't be surprised by great teams not making it to the Championships - especially this year. The 3-team serpentine alliance selection system increases the likelihood that the "3rd best" team will not win. In fact, it assures that at least one of the regional winners will not be among the best robots (if any scouts at the event have done their job). With Coopertition Points re-arranging the ranking so much this year, there is an even greater chance that the "best" teams are not ranked as highly as they might be. They get more evenly distributed and only one alliance gets the win.

The district model seems to help this situation, but most of us are not in districts yet.

- Mr. Van
Robodox
I dont know about that considering that some of the ones people are complaining about are from the District system.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerdjohn View Post
I dont know about that considering that some of the ones people are complaining about are from the District system.
Speaking from Michigan, my primary complaint is not that the district point system is really bad at selecting teams to qualify for the Championship, because I realise that our system is a significant improvement over the regional system in that respect. My primary complaint is that Michigan is allotted spaces based on the number of teams/regionals here 3 years ago. Michigan, based on our number of teams, should be given more slots (~4 regionals for 190 teams) than 18 (3 regionals for 132 teams). I think it would be fair to reduce the number of buy-ins to increase the number of qualifiers. This would mostly alleviate my concerns about really good Michigan teams not making the Championship.
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
“Be excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.”
-Paul Copioli
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM
TBC Trash Belt Expert
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
P.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
Speaking from Michigan, my primary complaint is not that the district point system is really bad at selecting teams to qualify for the Championship, because I realise that our system is a significant improvement over the regional system in that respect. My primary complaint is that Michigan is allotted spaces based on the number of teams/regionals here 3 years ago. Michigan, based on our number of teams, should be given more slots (~4 regionals for 190 teams) than 18 (3 regionals for 132 teams). I think it would be fair to reduce the number of buy-ins to increase the number of qualifiers. This would mostly alleviate my concerns about really good Michigan teams not making the Championship.
I totally agree with this. I think all of the teams that qualified from Michigan deserve it. There is no question that any of them shouldn't be going to championships. The problem is we don't have enough slots to give away.
Team 910-The Foley Freeze -- Student 2007-2010, Mentor 2012-2017
Referee at 45 Regular Season Events, 3 World Championships, 31 Off Season Events, and Counting
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM
1986: It's a team #, not a year.
AKA: Paul Shackelford
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)
Team Role: Alumni

1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future

There's 33 teams from Michigan registered for Championships, which means that 13 had to buy in (since 51 and 67 get automatic bids, they don't count towards the 18). Compare that to Minnesota, which is sending 13 teams total... and they have something like 155 teams this year. Just something to think about.

#52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986titans View Post
There's 33 teams from Michigan registered for Championships, which means that 13 had to buy in (since 51 and 67 get automatic bids, they don't count towards the 18). Compare that to Minnesota, which is sending 13 teams total... and they have something like 155 teams this year. Just something to think about.
It'd be interesting to see the breakdown of which states/regions/countries all the teams are from that are attending champs. I would've believed more Michigan teams are competing. This also makes me curious as to how many CA teams are competing... or Canadian teams.

1675->3928->1296->??
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
Hmm...

Maybe once districts are widespread, FIRST needs to have a "census" to ensure that all areas are properly represented.

Though on a more serious note, we all have to realize that FIRST is going to keep on growing, and the championship probably will not. We are not going to go back to the good ol' days, when everyone could get into championship by open registration. It is only going to get harder to get there. Teams that "deserve" it will not go, because there will be more teams that "deserve it" more. We are in a transition phase, where attending champioinships is moving from a right, to something that is earned. The manner in which it is earned could arguably use some improvement. But no matter how we do it, it isn't going to get any easier to get there.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018: Other projects/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

#54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986titans View Post
When I said "I think it would be fair to reduce the number of buy-ins to increase the number of qualifiers," I was not exempting Michigander buy-ins. Coming from a team that would never go to the Championship if we did not qualify, I would not complain if buying into the Championship were completely eliminated.

I'm not going to tell you that Minnesota teams are over- or under-represented or that Minnesota teams are better or worse, but they can buy their way to the Championship or they can go to regionals and qualify just like anyone else. You can't really specifically distribute spots in the open regional system, but if Minnesota were to have a state district system, they would (almost certainly) receive 155 teams worth of spots at the Championship, just like Michigan and MAR did when they began. However, Michigan is no longer receiving its fair share. Michigan has 190 teams, which is 8.1% (190 of 2343*) of FRC. The Championship has about 260 qualifying spots (400 minus 140 buy-ins*) this year. 8.1% of 260 is about 21. I will rescind my right to complain if FRC gives Michigan 3 more qualifying spots (unless Michigan grows significantly or the number of qualifying spots grows significantly).

The 13 Michigander buy-ins are 9.3%* of the 140 registration spots, which is probably a reflection of the resources many Michigan teams have. The 31 Michigan teams are 7.8%*, which is about right, except that I don't think we should be comparing teams that simply register. Those aren't spots allotted, which is the focus of this discussion, but rather spots open to all teams. I would focus on the fact that Michigan is only 6.9% of qualifying spots.

*Stats from here assuming the Championship is 400 teams.

tl;dr We want more spots and the ideal of equal representation agrees.
-Paul Copioli

Last edited by Basel A : 04-16-2012 at 04:25 PM.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_UPS View Post
It'd be interesting to see the breakdown of which states/regions/countries all the teams are from that are attending champs. I would've believed more Michigan teams are competing. This also makes me curious as to how many CA teams are competing... or Canadian teams.
If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to put together a graph tonight (no promises; finals week and all).
-Paul Copioli
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2001
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the totals (as of noon today 386 teams) by country:

1 ----- Australia
2 ----- Brazil
20 ---- Canada
5 ----- Israel
3 ----- Mexico
1 ----- Taiwan
354 --- USA

-----------------------
By Country/State/Province

# ------ % ----- Country/State
42 --- 10.9% ----- CA
33 ---- 8.5% ----- MI
29 ---- 7.5% ----- NY
20 ---- 5.2% ----- TX
17 ---- 4.4% ----- WA
16 ---- 4.1% ----- FL
14 ---- 3.6% ----- Canada-ON
13 ---- 3.4% ----- MN
12 ---- 3.1% ----- IN
11 ---- 2.8% ----- CT
11 ---- 2.8% ----- MO
11 ---- 2.8% ----- OH
10 ---- 2.6% ----- WI
9 ----- 2.3% ----- AZ
9 ----- 2.3% ----- MA
9 ----- 2.3% ----- NJ
9 ----- 2.3% ----- PA
8 ----- 2.1% ----- IL
7 ----- 1.8% ----- HI
7 ----- 1.8% ----- VA
6 ----- 1.6% ----- GA
6 ----- 1.6% ----- MD
6 ----- 1.6% ----- NC
6 ----- 1.6% ----- OR
6 ----- 1.6% ----- SC
5 ----- 1.3% ----- Canada-QC
5 ----- 1.3% ----- Israel
5 ----- 1.3% ----- NH
5 ----- 1.3% ----- OK
4 ----- 1.0% ----- ID
3 ----- 0.8% ----- AR
3 ----- 0.8% ----- CO
3 ----- 0.8% ----- KS
3 ----- 0.8% ----- ME
3 ----- 0.8% ----- Mexico
2 ----- 0.5% ----- Brazil
2 ----- 0.5% ----- LA
2 ----- 0.5% ----- RI
2 ----- 0.5% ----- UT
1 ----- 0.3% ----- AK
1 ----- 0.3% ----- Australia
1 ----- 0.3% ----- Canada-AB
1 ----- 0.3% ----- DC
1 ----- 0.3% ----- DE
1 ----- 0.3% ----- IA
1 ----- 0.3% ----- KY
1 ----- 0.3% ----- NV
1 ----- 0.3% ----- Taiwan
1 ----- 0.3% ----- TN
1 ----- 0.3% ----- WV
1 ----- 0.3% ----- WY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP-by-Country.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	12618  Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP-by-State.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	12620  

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 04-16-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Got locked out for a while
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Taylor1023

217 - I was shocked to not see their name on the list of Michigan teams going to the Championship. They have done so well each year and for members of my teams who have been to the Championship it will probably be weird not seeing them there.

2137 - Our team is very good friends with TORC and discovering that they weren't going was heartbreaking for many of the members on my team. They are the 5th alternate for Michigan. TORC was picked by the 3rd seed alliance in the 3rd round and actually beat our team and advanced to the semifinals. They might have been ranked higher if they had made it to the finals. They were also competing for Chairman's and recieved high praise from many people at the MSC. I expected them to get in one way or another.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
Here are the totals (as of noon today 386 teams) by country:

1 ----- Australia
2 ----- Brazil
20 ---- Canada
5 ----- Israel
3 ----- Mexico
1 ----- Taiwan
354 --- USA
FIRST should release a translational dictionary of a few of the game terms ("Basket" "Ball" "bridge" "balance" "fender" etc) each year if were going to keep adding different countries. That way we can cooperate better.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Pockets
AKA: Samuel Lijin
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

slijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
357*

*Has a ticket to but isn't attending CMP.
Schrodinger's cat seems like it really should've won RAS as well - #4 seed and an innovative new drive system in a team's rookie year really should warrant a ticket to CMP.

2010-12 CT Chairman's
2011 Galileo 5th seed
2010 NY Regional Winners
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM
AKA: Eric O'Brien
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2000
Eric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond reputeEric O has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eric O Send a message via Yahoo to Eric O

I haven't seen all the teams in FIRST this year, but do know there are a lot of historically successful teams not currently signed up for Championship. Statistically speaking, there are 11 of the top 30 championship teams not attending. This is based on Jim Zondag's "FIRST Championship History Results - 2011". To put it in perspective only 3 of those teams did not attend or make the elimination rounds in 2010, 7 in 2009, 6 in 2008, and 12 in 2007.

The 11 teams are:
40 (Didn't compete in 2012)

This is as of 6pm on 4/16. I did not check to see if any of these qualified and have just not been put on the website. Even if there are a couple of these teams that qualified, having a championship without teams like 71, 217 & 968 is a loss for those who are attending and could have seen the amazing machines they build each year. To everyone who is attending, with these 11 teams out of the running, I expect to see some new teams moving up in Zondag's 2012 version of this list! Is it going to be your team?!

-Eric

Team 229 - Division by Zero - Clarkson University (02-05)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: