OCCRA
Go to Post No way thats Dean... he didn't give an hour long speech :p - AndyB [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

LSevcik has a spectacular aura aboutLSevcik has a spectacular aura aboutLSevcik has a spectacular aura about
Hurricane Rita and Texas

Hi All! It looks like Houston/Galveston will have a difficult time with Hurricane Rita. Currently it is predicted to hit just south of Galveston and is strengthening as it approaches. If it stays on its course and at a Cat 5 Galveston will look the same as Gulfport and Biloxi. I plan to stay in Houston so once the storm is through and we get electricity again I and other Houston teams will give you an update. It's going to be really tough for FIRST teams in the South this season. Take care.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125
Re: Hurricane Rita and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSevcik
I plan to stay in Houston...
Um...I don't want to sound rude or anything, but is that really a good idea? I'm pretty sure that a Cat 5 will level anything in it's path. Aside from that, one of the issues in New Orleans was that there were people that needed to be rescued. Then they complained because help didn't come soon enough. If everyone had left, however, nobody would have needed rescue. I'm sure Houston won't flood, but still...

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:45 AM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

easy man,

it's their choice to leave, same as it was in New Orleans, granted there was a mandatory evacuation, those who refused to leave were left knowing that they were on their own. So if they decide to stay, it's their own live's they are risking. besiides last weather report i watched said Rita is starting to turn more north and aim more at the coast where the majority of texas' oil refinereies and offshore rigs are. So Houston should be out of the direct path.

Speaking of gas, i went to fill up today, planning on the rise of prices within the next 24 hours...even in NH i tried to stop at 3 stations and 2 of them had dry tanks. Can we say gas shortage...again??

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2005, 03:00 AM
'tis just a flesh wound!
AKA: Anjali M
FRC #1510

Rookie Year: 2005
sure_smile will become famous soon enough

i just hope that everyone stays safe...we have a bunch of really good friends that are evacuating and last we heard they were stuck in traffic. for the people sticking it out, i wish you good luck and hope everything goes okay, and that your communities and your teams are able to get back on your feet quickly!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:32 PM
General Manager
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki

My brother had just moved to Houston earlier this month for a Music Teaching job. He was one of the lucky ones. Turns out he had planned on flying back to CT to see his girlfriend anyway, so all he had to do was transfer his plane ticket from Saturday morning to Thursday morning.

I was very relieved to hear that. Now it's my Aunt's family in Lake Charles, LA that I have to worry about.

I wish the best of luck and circumstances for everyone in those coastal areas.

As for gas? I used to be a road warrior, but now I've stopped driving (almost entirely). College kids can't afford these prices!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: