OCCRA
Go to Post Students dream up the ideas for bots, it is than up to the mentors and engineers to make these dreams a reality. - dddriveman [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 01:11 AM
I should be at baseball practice
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute
Your ideas for future Onshape functionality

What do you want to see in Featurescripts and Onshape functionality for the coming season?

With more and more teams experimenting with and switching to Onshape, I thought I might open up a thread asking what people want to see. MKCad and my featurescript collection primarily developed out of needs from within team 1836. Now that I'm graduating, (and have far too much free time on my hands) I'd love to hear what the CD community wants to see in Featurescript or other Onshape development I can work on to help streamline your CAD processes.

I look forward to hearing (and hopefully implementing many of) your ideas!

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

Last edited by marcusbernstein : 05-10-2018 at 01:16 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 03:21 AM
AKA: Thomas
FRC #4159 (Cardinalbotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Chak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond reputeChak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your ideas for future Onshape functionality

Path Length Dimension from Solidworks.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Mass properties overrides. Should been a feature Day 1.
Being able to switch between parts without reloading.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM
FRC #4999 (Momentum Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
ARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really nice

It's been a while since I last tried Onshape, but one of the main reasons I couldn't use it is because there's no equivalent of SolidWorks's "Hole Wizard." Being able to quickly create the right clearance and tap drill holes without needing to think about it or look up standards is extremely valuable.

Also, I don't remember Onshape having any sort of "toolbox" of fasteners (again, like SolidWorks does).

These features may now be in Onshape, but from what I remember, they weren't.

Spec sheets are your friend.

A problem that you don't want to solve is an opportunity to better yourself.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Mentor
AKA: Alan Glaser
FRC #6829 (Ignite Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2014
AlanG is an unknown quantity at this point

Both features are now available.

They call the fastener collection "standard content". Video here: https://youtu.be/5h6ETRhBeGg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaulinaitis View Post
It's been a while since I last tried Onshape, but one of the main reasons I couldn't use it is because there's no equivalent of SolidWorks's "Hole Wizard." Being able to quickly create the right clearance and tap drill holes without needing to think about it or look up standards is extremely valuable.

Also, I don't remember Onshape having any sort of "toolbox" of fasteners (again, like SolidWorks does).

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 12:56 PM

marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaulinaitis View Post

Onshape has a hole wizard and their standard content feature followed MKCad - fasteners by about a week. Iím still salty.

Thanks for your ideas!

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 01:13 PM
FRC #4999 (Momentum Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
ARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really niceARaulinaitis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Onshape has a hole wizard and their standard content feature followed MKCad - fasteners by about a week. Iím still salty.

Thanks for your ideas!
Yeah I saw the video posted.

It's nice to see that it's an improving platform. I remember I tried it at work about 1.5-2 years ago and it was really hard to use. It definitely looks way better now than back then.

Spec sheets are your friend.

A problem that you don't want to solve is an opportunity to better yourself.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

I'll focus on FRC-related Onshape features instead of features I want Onshape itself to add:
  • A "complete" FRC COTS library. MKCad is really close and I love it, but there's parts missing that make me realize how much of a pain it is to import things.
  • A way to reach out and request that a part be added to a specific library. If a part that I use often is missing from MKCad, how do I get ahold of you or 1836 to update it?
  • An FRC-specific gear creation FeatureScript. Let me choose DP, teeth, and bore and have it automatically find a VP / AM gear that fits and generate that part. If one doesn't fit, show an error.
  • Proper weights and materials added. I know Onshape doesn't support custom weight overrides, but it'd be great if all the materials were set so we could get close. Maybe we can crowd-source this?
  • An Up To Face feature for the Custom Length Extrusion (CL) FeatureScript. I'd love to be able to say "put a thunderhex shaft from this face to that face" and have it update if I change the distance between faces.
  • A "distance from end to first hole" feature in the CL FeatureScript. It'd be nice to be able to define where the first hole is in relation to the end of the Versa Tubes, so i don't have to make the part and then trim.
  • A comprehensive Getting Started guide for Onshape in the FRC world. The lower we make the barrier of entry, the more people will realize that Onshape is the best CAD program for FIRST.

Last edited by Ty Tremblay : 05-10-2018 at 03:47 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2018, 04:30 AM
FRC #0058 (The Riot Crew)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
scaryone has a spectacular aura aboutscaryone has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tremblay View Post
I'll focus on FRC-related Onshape features instead of features I want Onshape itself to add:
  • A "complete" FRC COTS library. MKCad is really close and I love it, but there's parts missing that make me realize how much of a pain it is to import things.
  • A way to reach out and request that a part be added to a specific library. If a part that I use often is missing from MKCad, how do I get ahold of you or 1836 to update it?
  • An FRC-specific gear creation FeatureScript. Let me choose DP, teeth, and bore and have it automatically find a VP / AM gear that fits and generate that part. If one doesn't fit, show an error.
  • Proper weights and materials added. I know Onshape doesn't support custom weight overrides, but it'd be great if all the materials were set so we could get close. Maybe we can crowd-source this?
  • An Up To Face feature for the Custom Length Extrusion (CL) FeatureScript. I'd love to be able to say "put a thunderhex shaft from this face to that face" and have it update if I change the distance between faces.
  • A "distance from end to first hole" feature in the CL FeatureScript. It'd be nice to be able to define where the first hole is in relation to the end of the Versa Tubes, so i don't have to make the part and then trim.
  • A comprehensive Getting Started guide for Onshape in the FRC world. The lower we make the barrier of entry, the more people will realize that Onshape is the best CAD program for FIRST.
+1 for the comprehensive guide
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM
FRC #6672 (Fusion Corps)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2018
jago21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to be able to select sections of a part in an assembly and be able to translate that into a sketch. this would be great at increasing the efficiency of making holes to mount motors, pdp etc.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago21 View Post
I want to be able to select sections of a part in an assembly and be able to translate that into a sketch. this would be great at increasing the efficiency of making holes to mount motors, pdp etc.
I love to use derive in a part studio to accomplish this. Especially with multiple parts in a given studio, Iím often designing entire mechanisms in one studio. A great example of this is a drivetrain, where you can derive the PDP, translate it to wherever you want, and then make your holes accordingly. Going from the other way, you could always edit the bellypan in context from your assembly and add the holes from there.

I love this functionality!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: