OCCRA
Go to Post Those chief delphi kids...they think they're so pimp... - Eugenia Gabrielov [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 12:46 PM
FRC #6004 (F(x))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
Ophbalance is just really niceOphbalance is just really niceOphbalance is just really niceOphbalance is just really nice
Autonomous - How do you know the "thing" in intake

I've been tasked with mentoring our team from "woo! We crossed the line!" to "woo! We did the thing! And took that thing to the other thing! And then we flung the thing!".

I'm curious how folks determine that you've captured the "thing". For last years game that was power cube. I grasp that you can use NavX to figure out where the things are and program some routes to them. I grasp how you can use vision to pinpoint the thing and drive to it. But how do you know when you actually have the thing where it needs to be in the intake system?

I've had some thoughts, and what seems likely is to:
  • Something like a garage door sensor. Break the beam and you've got the thing
  • Momentary switch. If the thing has made contact, well it's where it needs to be
  • Measure the load on the motors doing the intake. If the load is at whatever value for XX amount of time, we know that the thing has been onboarded

Anyone care to share what they did in previous years? We' like team 6004 to approach the season with a successful preseason, and I think this would be a strong approach to getting our budding engineers into the gear.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Autonomous - How do you know the "thing" in intake

I find that this limit switch, which has been in the KoP for many years, is extremely useful for detecting game objects. The long arm, adjustable angle, and durability are key. With the power cubes, for example, if you had a "standard" roller claw, you could place one of these in the back, or have one on each side and it would trigger when the cube was captured. Personally, I like the idea of using two or more in many situations - it gives you the chance to teach the students about series or parallel wiring, and you can often increase the dependability of the system that way.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM
AKA: Justin
FRC #5254 (HYPE)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2012
jtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond repute

On 340 this year, the back of our intake was a polycarb plate with small rectangular cutouts for 2 IR sensors.

They were pretty fragile so having a backup was nice. We 3d printed mounts that were attached to the polycarb by double sided tape (and later in the season, lots of electrical tape...).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Anthony4004
FRC #4004 (MARS Rovers)

Rookie Year: 2008
Anthony4004 is a jewel in the roughAnthony4004 is a jewel in the roughAnthony4004 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophbalance View Post
I've had some thoughts, and what seems likely is to:
  • Something like a garage door sensor. Break the beam and you've got the thing
  • Momentary switch. If the thing has made contact, well it's where it needs to be
  • Measure the load on the motors doing the intake. If the load is at whatever value for XX amount of time, we know that the thing has been onboarded
These ideas are exactly what we've come to use every year. While a limit switch is always a great object, we've become very happy with the use of distance sensors and other (as you put it) "break the beam and you've got the thing" sensing tools.
I would also deff agree that the use of your motor control feedback is something that few teams utilize, but is of great use when wanting to know what is truly happening to your robot, not just if your intake is holding an object.
Honestly, the best method for ideas from my code team has come from ideas that they learned while in FLL all those years ago. And if your students didn't have that experience, bring it to them with the use of possibly having a mindstorm kit for the simple purpose of gaining understanding of how one can work with things in a simple, yet very high level thinking.

Cheers!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Kotlin Master Race
FRC #5190 (Green Hope Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
Prateek M is on a distinguished road

We used two photoelectric sensors on our intake to detect if a cube was in or not. When picking up the second and third cubes for autonomous, we only continued with the routine when the sensors said the cube was in. This can be seen in our match videos (the LEDs on the robot blink when the sensors detect a cube -- this also helped the driver know that he had a cube when the robot was on the other side.)

A picture of the intake with the two sensors can be found here: http://prntscr.com/leqdsh
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

1296 has used VEX bump sensors (aka limit switches) in previous years. They are cheap and easy to program, but mounting bump plates on to them can be a challenge depending on your design.

1675->3928->1296->??
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 02:33 PM
FRC #1723 (The FBI FIRST Bots of Independence)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
BClarke is an unknown quantity at this point

We used a beam break sensor to detect cubes in our intake for the purpose of triggering LED strips as a signal for the drivers. I don't believe we used the sensors in autonomous, but we had code written to do so.

I believe 254 had similar sensors on their intake this year.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Dannoooooooooo
AKA: Dan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
jnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant future

548 prototyped using the 873M analog ultrasonic sensor from FIRST Choice. We ended up not using it, but it would have worked on the cubes.

2014: MIHOW CA, Finalist; MILIV EI 2015: MISOU Finalist; MILIV CA, Winner; MIBED Winner; MICMP Winner
2016: MILIV CA; MICMP 16th Alliance- 8-F winner 2017: MISOU CA; MILIV EI; MICMP CA
2018: MILIV EI, MICMP EI, DAR-CUR Entrepreneurship
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 04:02 PM
FRC #5987 (Galaxia in memory of David Zohar)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
Dan Katzuv has a spectacular aura aboutDan Katzuv has a spectacular aura about

We used a proximity sensor at the back of our Gripper system.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM
FRC #5811 (The BONDS)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Peter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek M View Post
We used two photoelectric sensors on our intake to detect if a cube was in or not. When picking up the second and third cubes for autonomous, we only continued with the routine when the sensors said the cube was in. This can be seen in our match videos (the LEDs on the robot blink when the sensors detect a cube -- this also helped the driver know that he had a cube when the robot was on the other side.)

A picture of the intake with the two sensors can be found here: http://prntscr.com/leqdsh
These seem really nice because they look easier to mount than the IR sensor mentioned by Justin, while accomplishing the same non-contact sensing. Though I bet they are more expensive. Would you be able to share where you bought them?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 04:27 PM
365 --> 4039
AKA: Mattward
FRC #4039 (Makeshift)

Rookie Year: 2009
Matt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond reputeMatt G has a reputation beyond repute

I think for many teams this process doesn't require any game-piece sensors.

Every year, the vast majority of teams that can meaningfully score in autonomous only score one game piece, and usually they start holding the game piece. Such an auto doesn't need a sensor to detect a game piece since you place it in your robot before the match.

I think for most teams who pick up a second game piece in autonomous, the game piece usually starts in a known location, so you can just make a guess and assume you have the piece. It's very possible to write a two or even three cube auto without know whether you've picked up the second or third cube.

This isn't to say you shouldn't have a sensor, just that you don't need to have a sensor to be successful.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 04:28 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

On 423 we used this beam break sensor from Adafruit a few times. They were easy to mount, easy to wire, cheap, shipped quickly, and didn't fail us. I would definitely recommend.

I've also heard good things about this distance sensor, but don't have any personal experience with it.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, those are the ways, and I've used them all.

Sharp makes some great IR proximity and range finding sensors, available at a number of sites, including pololu. 3946 used the shortest range "binary" one to detect gears for STEAMworks, and a longer range one to detect boulders in STRONGHOLD. Ultrasonic sensors which are capable of resolving the short ranges needed to detect when you have a game piece are much more expensive than IR ones; on the other hand, for longer ranges and larger objects (how far away is the wall), inexpensive ultrasonic sensors are viable.

We had IR "interruption" sensors both of two pieces to detect various game pieces, and a single piece to detect a "curb feeler" in Recycle Rush.

Limit switches for totes in Recycle Rush, and motor current in POWER UP.

All in all, my favorites are the IR rangefinder and one-piece interrupts, because they are relatively easy to install in a place where they won't be struck by the game piece or other robots or other parts of your own robot (e.g. inside or behind a structural member) and are less subject to misalignment than the two piece version, and much less than limit switches. With motor current, you have to code around motor startup spikes, through requiring a spike to last a certain duration, or ramping the voltage, or something similar.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 11-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
I find that this limit switch, which has been in the KoP for many years, is extremely useful for detecting game objects. The long arm, adjustable angle, and durability are key. With the power cubes, for example, if you had a "standard" roller claw, you could place one of these in the back, or have one on each side and it would trigger when the cube was captured. Personally, I like the idea of using two or more in many situations - it gives you the chance to teach the students about series or parallel wiring, and you can often increase the dependability of the system that way.
+1 for that limit switch; it was great when 4901 used it in 2014. If I'm doing a mechanical limit switch, it's that one. Though I'd probably want to try to use a Talon SRX's current sensing function first these days.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Ribbon Switches from these wonderful folks are some of my recently-discovered favorite sensing devices for intakes. It's like a long limit switch. Useful if you don't know what orientation your thing comes in at, you just need to know when the first part of it touches somewhere.

They can make custom lengths, or (at least in our experience) were pretty good about sending samples of standard lengths.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: