OCCRA
Go to Post Side effect include: Hearing loss, splinters, blisters, extreme sprit, uncontrollable urges to scream "GO MOE", and bright green fashion sense - The Lucas [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:42 PM
#0920 (Lancers)

PhillyRobotics is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PhillyRobotics
Question English or Metric?

My team is starting to buy some tools for this years comp. and i realized as i went through the Harbor Frieght cataloge, i says to myself "English or Metric" seeing how first is an international thing now and all.
can someone clear this up for me?
appreciate it
Shrey
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2002, 10:46 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
Clear what up?

English is like feet and inches...
Metric is meters.

I'm guessing the rulebook has the dimensions and limits in both metric and English but I'm not positive.
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:12 PM
\: |
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
At last season's (2002) kickoff, it was clearly stated that FIRST was going metric "inch by inch"... Take it as you will...

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2002, 11:41 PM

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Haha...Man...those FIRST people have a sense of humour
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2002, 01:14 AM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
Much to the dismay of myself and the rest of our pit crew, our 'bot last year was about 1/2 metric and the other 1/2 standard. It's hard enough to find the right size allen wrench when you only have to look through 1 set! Anyway, we swore we would never again mix the two.

As a side note, I believe some part of the drill motor assembly is metric-only (the screws that hold the gearbox in place?), but I don't really remember.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2002, 01:27 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
It really doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is to pick one, and then make sure EVERYONE ON THE TEAM KNOWS WHICH ONE YOU ARE USING.

-dave

(lesson learned from the 1998 Mars Climate Orbiter)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
English all the way when working with torque and the such. I know what a newton is now in physics but it makes no sense:
Man: How much pushing force does your robot force have?
Me: 150 newtons
Man: Huh??
Ooo yeah never mix up metric and english hex key sets. We did that with some structual aluminum (is that the right name?) and ended up striping half of the screws on our robot.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2002, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rbayer
Much to the dismay of myself and the rest of our pit crew, our 'bot last year was about 1/2 metric and the other 1/2 standard. It's hard enough to find the right size allen wrench when you only have to look through 1 set! Anyway, we swore we would never again mix the two.
Are you sponsored by NASA?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:10 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
FRC #3314 (Mechanical Mustangs)
Team Role: Mentor

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
we didn't have a prob using metric and standard on our bot, it was kinda fun searching for the right tool with only 10 secs b4 u were announced. luckily i memorized all sizes and what tool was used for each. note to self*** do not mix metric and standard tools in box****
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'15 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'15 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'15
2015 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2015 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg. & Championships
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2002, 05:06 PM
None #0783 (Mobotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Harrison has a little shameless behaviour in the past
1st: Adjustable wrenches are the key to success.

As for allen keys and what not, my bot was definately the worst. There was prolly a combo of random Imperial ("standard") and Metric nuts, bolts, and really anything else.

I would suggest to just choose a unit that you have readily available in your teams shop, and what your suppliers use. Any measurements from FIRST can easily be converted to what you're using.

Just make sure that everything on your robot is consistent.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
"Would you like some more ale chap with that steak and kindy pie?"

See, I can be English...

*someone wispers measurements*

Oh, hehehe.

English all the way! 150 feet sounds better than 45 meters.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2002, 05:15 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
This year we are moving towards "standardization" for our nuts and bolts. After hearing a speech from Joe Johnson about it at a recent DELPHI team forum we thought it would be a good idea to follow along in team 47's footsteps for this idea. So starting this year we will use metric fasteners and english lenghts (etc.)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2002, 05:31 PM
None #0783 (Mobotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Harrison has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephM
English all the way! 150 feet sounds better than 45 meters.
I'd say metric is an easier system. Everything is base 10.

10 millimeters in a centimeter, 10 centimeters in a decimeter, 10 decimeters in a meter....1000 meters in a kilometer.

English....12 inches per foot. 3 feet per yard. 2000 yards per mile. The numbers aren't as nice.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2002, 09:44 PM
FRC #0041 (Robo-Warriors)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Jim Giacchi will become famous soon enoughJim Giacchi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Jim Giacchi
Metric Bleh

Metric might be easier to use and make more sense, but come on. Metric is just a pain in the rear to work with when your using a fifty year old world war II surplus shop which is ALL english. And I'm a stubborn American who's goin 140? on the highway I wish.

Also out of the three bots i've built. Two were all english and one was a mixture. In those three years one was ranked 14th in Epcot and one placed second in New York. Guess which ones were the english bots. Coincidence, I think not.

And the end all to the Argument
"The metric system is the tool of the devil, my car gets forty rods to the hogs head and thats the way i likes it."
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 09:11 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Here's our plan

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Gilbert
This year we are moving towards "standardization" for our nuts and bolts. After hearing a speech from Joe Johnson about it at a recent DELPHI team forum we thought it would be a good idea to follow along in team 47's footsteps for this idea. So starting this year we will use metric fasteners and english lenghts (etc.)
Yep... here is our plan:

Use available stock sizes (almost all english sizes), like using 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum angle, etc.

But... we are only using M5 & M3 screws. This means that we only have two nut sizes, only two washer sizes, only 4 allen wrenches, only 2 open ended (or socket) wrenches, and two tap sizes. We wanted to go with only one screw size, but some of the small stuff (gearboxes, etc.) really warrants a smaller screw.

We will only make an exception to this 2 screw rule if the situation requires it... and there is no other option.

You should have seen our fastener cabinet before we started this standardization rule... it was ridiculus. We had every English screw size available... it took days to re-organize the darn thing.

Andy B.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: