Go to Post what hint? - Electricia 1599 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 07:09 PM
FRC #5611 (Neon Tigers)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
Braydon18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation RoboRio Red power indicator

I was using the RoboRio and eventually the power light turned red. I looked at the control system indicator chart and it informed me that it was Power fault, check user rails for short circuit. I opened up the casing of the RR and cleaned the circuit board ( I first did this originally in a past season. It also had a red light and cleaning the circuit board fixed the issue). I cleaned it twice with no change in outcome. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Braydon
5611 Neon Tigers
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 08:10 PM
FRC #5507 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
jhajel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: RoboRio Red power indicator

We had the same issue and went through the same process to fix it to no avail.

Call NI at 866-511-6285 and they can get a new one sent to you in 2 weeks. I think they can have a faster turn-around if you need it for competition.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 08:24 PM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

SpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura aboutSpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braydon18 View Post
I was using the RoboRio and eventually the power light turned red. I looked at the control system indicator chart and it informed me that it was Power fault, check user rails for short circuit. I opened up the casing of the RR and cleaned the circuit board ( I first did this originally in a past season. It also had a red light and cleaning the circuit board fixed the issue). I cleaned it twice with no change in outcome. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Braydon
5611 Neon Tigers
We had the same problem here this last event, I almost wonder if it has something to do with the 2018 firmware but I'm not sure.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same problem last weekend as well when we were out practicing. Fortunately all our devices are on the CAN bus and don't use the DIO, so we just ran with it until we got home.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 09:56 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Rob Heslin will become famous soon enoughRob Heslin will become famous soon enough

You are right that the red power LED indicates a short on one of the three power rails. It could be the 6V rail, which would effect powering servos. It could be the 5V rail, which would effect Encoders, IR sensors, etc. on the DIO and Analog sensors. Or it is the 3.3V rail, which effects I2C.

Depending on how the short is tripped you might be able to see which one is failing in the DriverStation under the power tab. Lowest tab on the left. To my knowledge, the power LED light has not been effected by either the RoboRIO firmware or the RoboRIO Image.

If you have already opened up and cleaned off the RoboRIO there is one place that is easy to miss. The pins on the RoboRIO are supported by plastic, to keep them from breaking off. I have many times found metal shavings under this plastic. If you know which rail is shorted, you can limit your search to the pins that are effected. The plastic is not attached to the board of the RoboRIO and, with care, can be wedged up with a thin screw driver. Work slowly so as not to damage the plastic or the pins. Start from one end of the plastic and try to keep the entire thing about the same height off the board.

RMA is certainly an option if you are uncomfortable pulling up the plastic.

If you need a RoboRIO for an event, ask the FTA or CSA at your event, spare parts can loan one to you.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2018, 10:18 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Rob Heslin will become famous soon enoughRob Heslin will become famous soon enough

I should have posted an image to help guide you. This is from 2015 and the arrow point to the tiny piece of metal shorting the DIO 5V pin to GND pin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19U0...ew?usp=sharing
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2018, 11:10 AM
FRC #5611 (Neon Tigers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Heslin View Post
You are right that the red power LED indicates a short on one of the three power rails. It could be the 6V rail, which would effect powering servos. It could be the 5V rail, which would effect Encoders, IR sensors, etc. on the DIO and Analog sensors. Or it is the 3.3V rail, which effects I2C.

Depending on how the short is tripped you might be able to see which one is failing in the DriverStation under the power tab. Lowest tab on the left. To my knowledge, the power LED light has not been effected by either the RoboRIO firmware or the RoboRIO Image.

If you have already opened up and cleaned off the RoboRIO there is one place that is easy to miss. The pins on the RoboRIO are supported by plastic, to keep them from breaking off. I have many times found metal shavings under this plastic. If you know which rail is shorted, you can limit your search to the pins that are effected. The plastic is not attached to the board of the RoboRIO and, with care, can be wedged up with a thin screw driver. Work slowly so as not to damage the plastic or the pins. Start from one end of the plastic and try to keep the entire thing about the same height off the board.

RMA is certainly an option if you are uncomfortable pulling up the plastic.

If you need a RoboRIO for an event, ask the FTA or CSA at your event, spare parts can loan one to you.
I connected to the RoboRio and I have a red indicator on ( 12v 0 5V 1 Bus Off 0 ). Do you have any idea as to what this means. Thanks in advance.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
firecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braydon18 View Post
I connected to the RoboRio and I have a red indicator on ( 12v 0 5V 1 Bus Off 0 ). Do you have any idea as to what this means. Thanks in advance.
This means that there is a short in the 5v rail (digital or analog ports, or the MXP power pins). Check/vacuum out the ports to make sure there is no metal swarf on the pins.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2018, 11:41 AM
FRC #5611 (Neon Tigers)

Talking Re: RoboRio Red power indicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
This means that there is a short in the 5v rail (digital or analog ports, or the MXP power pins). Check/vacuum out the ports to make sure there is no metal swarf on the pins.
Thank you for your reply. I fixed the problem when I lifted the plastic casings up.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM
FRC #5611 (Neon Tigers)

Thumbs up Re: RoboRio Red power indicator

Thank you to everyone for responding! I fixed the problem when I lifted the rails on the 5v Analog.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: