Go to Post You can always look back on the you from 5 years before, and realize how silly you were. - ParkerF [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 02:22 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Am I Doing It Right Guys?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 02:23 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of
Re: pic: Am I Doing It Right Guys?

Did you design that cover for the DeCIMate gears or is that somewhere on AndyMark's website?

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 03:07 PM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
Did you design that cover for the DeCIMate gears or is that somewhere on AndyMark's website?
My design, I figured with the amount of grease required to keep the gears lubricated it would be helpful. As it turned out, I had to pack the gearboxes with grease (Red Tacky) several times, even with the covers on, just to keep the gears from throwing the grease off the gears immediately.

I'd be happy to upload the model somewhere if people are interested.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 03:47 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
My design, I figured with the amount of grease required to keep the gears lubricated it would be helpful. As it turned out, I had to pack the gearboxes with grease (Red Tacky) several times, even with the covers on, just to keep the gears from throwing the grease off the gears immediately.

I'd be happy to upload the model somewhere if people are interested.
I would be interested in using the cover if you want to share the CAD. My team is looking at using these gearboxes and I couldn't find any cover pre-designed (even though the assembly directions mention one).

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 05:00 PM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Quote:
I would be interested in using the cover if you want to share the CAD. My team is looking at using these gearboxes and I couldn't find any cover pre-designed (even though the assembly directions mention one).
Here you go:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2763971
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 06:18 PM
2280T34
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

I find it interesting that the DeCIMate Assembly Guide explicitly mentions a 3D-Printed case on page 5, but I find no mention of this on AM's website. Even still, this is awesome!

Join the FRC Discord!

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeeneykid View Post
I find it interesting that the DeCIMate Assembly Guide explicitly mentions a 3D-Printed case on page 5, but I find no mention of this on AM's website. Even still, this is awesome!
Interesting, we bought ours already assembled so I never bothered to look at the guide. I like how the one shown in the guide holds the spacers in place, but I think I still prefer the overall shape of mine tbh.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 12:36 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: pic: Am I Doing It Right Guys?

[] You're not doing it right. There should be a 775Pro on one slot of the DeCIMate instead of the Redline. The other slot should have a Redline.[/]

I kid, I kid, that's definitely an interesting configuration. If you do end up using that be sure to post back with how it held up!

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 12:59 AM
AndyMark Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Nathan
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 2005
NathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond reputeNathanNFM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry about that! For now, here is the official AndyMark one I designed. We should have it on a page in the 3D printing section of the website up soon.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764280

[2016-20??]: Mentor: FRC Team 3940"CyberTooth"
[2013-2016]: Mentor: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2012-2013]: Mentor: FRC Team 3929 "Atomic Dragons"
[2011-2012]: Mentor: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2008-2011]: Student: FRC Team 365 "MOE"
[2007-2008]: Student: FTC Team 365 "MOE"
[2005-2007]: Student: FLL Team "The MOEstangs"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 01:20 AM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanNFM View Post
Sorry about that! For now, here is the official AndyMark one I designed. We should have it on a page in the 3D printing section of the website up soon.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764280
Thank you! I was just looking through it for once my team's DeCIMates come and noticed there wasn't a link. I definetly like the idea of having a cover over the gears to keep grease in and dirt out.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 11:04 AM
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
[] You're not doing it right. There should be a 775Pro on one slot of the DeCIMate instead of the Redline. The other slot should have a Redline.[/]

I kid, I kid, that's definitely an interesting configuration. If you do end up using that be sure to post back with how it held up!
Heh, not a bad idea actually...

Honestly I would have preferred using 775Pros (simply because Redlines are still somewhat unproven), but we didn't have any way to press-fit the pinion gears onto them in our shop so it was easier to just used the pre-assembled gearboxes from AndyMark.

I definitely plan to use these in this configuration on our robot, the real question is for how long. I am a little concerned about wear on the DeCIMate gears, we did the recommended 30 minute no-lube run-in and now the gears seem to have quite a bit of backlash when changing directions. I'm hoping this is expected behavior and that the lubricant we added will prevent further wear.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, change one of the MiniCIMs to a regular CIM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 04:25 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
Also, change one of the MiniCIMs to a regular CIM.
Would that set a record for "most motor types in one gearbox"?

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Heh, not a bad idea actually...

Honestly I would have preferred using 775Pros (simply because Redlines are still somewhat unproven), but we didn't have any way to press-fit the pinion gears onto them in our shop so it was easier to just used the pre-assembled gearboxes from AndyMark.
My team is using the 775 Pros since the Redlines are new, we just use a vise usually to press fit them, thats what we did last year with pulleys.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would that set a record for "most motor types in one gearbox"?
It almost certainly would if they also changed the shifter to a servo instead of a piston.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: