Go to Post What is this, presto change-o rules every week? - Racer26 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard
Defensive Strategy - cornering opponents ball

This appears to be legal and a good strategy if you are going up against 2 good hurdlers, or if you have one big slow robot. If you push your opponent's trackball into a corner and "trap" it there, you can prevent them from getting potentially 8 points per lap versus the 2 points per lap you give up sitting there. The definition of herding allows continuous contact, and it doesn't meet the definition of being captured since the ball wouldn't keep the same position relative to your robot if you moved. You aren't impeding traffic so there is no requirement for you to move.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:01 PM
AKA: Alan Bartow
FRC #2080 (Torbotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2007
Torboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to all
Re: Defensive Strategy - cornering opponents ball

I'm pretty sure they mad the corners like they did to stop the balls from getting trapped in the corner. I'm pretty sure it says that somewhere in the manual
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Generator of Entropy

Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torboticsmember View Post
I'm pretty sure they mad the corners like they did to stop the balls from getting trapped in the corner. I'm pretty sure it says that somewhere in the manual
I agree that the 135 degree corners will make it more difficult to maintain control of the ball then a 90 degree corner, but I think it's still possible. We'll see how well it works if anyone tries it.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
The Guy with the Big Blue Two
FRC #0250 (The Dynamos)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2006
SSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond reputeSSMike has a reputation beyond repute

What if a robot on the opposing alliance nudges you? If they got in a postition where you were technically impeding them, then you would have to move out of his way and free the trackballs from the corner. This is unless of course the rules specify that you only have to move if you are in the straightaways, which I believe they do not.
Long Live #4
Just when I find the key to success, someone goes and changes all the locks.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -Walt Disney
When you put 'THE' and 'IRS' together, it forms 'THEIRS'. Coincidence? I think not!
Why is the name of the phobia for the fear of long words: hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?
"There's no such thing as a winnable war......." Bring our Troops Home

I will never let you fall
I'll stand up with you forever
I'll be there for you through it all
Even if saving you sends me to heaven
--The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
IbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to behold

If you are in a corner, then you won't be impeding traffic, unless there are a lot of robots around you.
The rules say that you can herd as many balls as you want, potentially both of your opponents' If you get them both into and inaccessible corner for half the match, then you would be making the game less fun, but you would get a serious advantage.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
AKA: Alan Bartow
FRC #2080 (Torbotics)
Team Role: Driver

Torboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to allTorboticsmember is a name known to all

I thought the rules said that you could only herd 1 trackball
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Generator of Entropy

The only way I would be technically impeding them is if one of my alliance partners was blocking the rest of the track; there is over 14 feet worth of space between the corner and the lane divider, my robot and the ball will take up 6.5, which leaves enough room for a robot (even 2 robots) to go around me.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Generator of Entropy

Quote:
<G27> HERDING TRACKBALLS – ROBOTS may HERD one or more TRACKBALL at one time. ROBOTS shall not HERD a TRACKBALL while also being in POSSESSION of a second TRACKBALL. A PENALTY will be assigned for each infraction.

I hadn't thought of that - trapping both trackballs with one robot. Brilliant!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
IbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to beholdIbleedPink233 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, you can "herd" as many as you can get your hands on. If you are in "possession" of a ball, then you can't herd any others.
Like I said, I think that ball-hogging will make the game get very old and dry very quickly and I hope that teams find strategies that go along with the spirit of the game instead.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
AKA: Tim L.
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
pakratt1991 is just really nicepakratt1991 is just really nicepakratt1991 is just really nicepakratt1991 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to pakratt1991 Send a message via MSN to pakratt1991 Send a message via Yahoo to pakratt1991

I thought is would be niffty to wait next to your opponents ball until they came into that zone to get it, then hit it into the previous zone, therefore making them go all the way around the field to retrieve their ball.

2010 Oregon Autodesk Regional Winner (997, 2130, 1515) (Event Volunteer)
2008 UC Davis Semi-Finalists
2007 Championship Semi-Finalist (494, 254, 997)
2007 Davis Sacramento regional Champs (100, 997, 1458)
2007 PNW regional, Champs (997, 272, 1087)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Generator of Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedPink233 View Post
Like I said, I think that ball-hogging will make the game get very old and dry very quickly and I hope that teams find strategies that go along with the spirit of the game instead.
I believe it is in the spirit of the game is to score more points than your opponent within the rules. That means offense AND defense.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Bored? Never...
AKA: Jezumo a.k.a James
FRC #1386 (Trobots)
Team Role: Student

jrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jrdude Send a message via MSN to jrdude Send a message via Yahoo to jrdude
Smile Re: Defensive Strategy - cornering opponents ball

this seems like a very good idea
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
FRC #2046 (TRC)
Team Role: Programmer

BrianD is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm...
Lets say you were cornering the ball. If one or two opposing robots came up beside you, so together you were all blocking the track, could they then bring in another robot and bump you to pass? Might be a counter to this strategy.

It probably be more interesting to simply knock the ball out of the field, but that's unfair to the other team.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Dolan
AKA: Andy
FRC #1590 (RAMBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Dolan will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dolan Send a message via MSN to Dolan Send a message via Yahoo to Dolan

you could have one of your team bump them to counter the counter
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Generator of Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
hmm...
Lets say you were cornering the ball. If one or two opposing robots came up beside you, so together you were all blocking the track, could they then bring in another robot and bump you to pass?
<G40> ....
Note that a ROBOT is not IMPEDING traffic if:
• there is a clear “passing lane” around the ROBOT, or
• the IMPEDING ROBOT and the approaching ROBOT are from the same ALLIANCE (i.e. a ROBOT can not impede another ROBOT of the same ALLIANCE), or
• the ROBOT is in the process of HURDLING (except as noted in Rule <G43>).

My interpretation of this rule is that you are not impeding if the clear passing lane is blocked by the other alliance. They can't simply declare you to be the one who is impeding by bumping you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: