OCCRA
Go to Post If there's one bit of advice I can give, its never underestimate the power of a hurricane. - Joshua May [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2018, 07:36 PM
#JusticeforPinecone
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC 95 2018 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
Our practice chassis is getting there. Hopefully driving in the next day or two!

How do you like the upside-down electronics board? No worries about the electronics hitting the corner of the ramp as your drive up it?
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

So far we've really liked how much access we get to the electronics.

The notches punched into the frame clear the nasty corner, our intent is to keep everything below that projection. We might add a cover plate to ensure that nothing gets us into trouble.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 08:41 AM
That Guy
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics), FRC 5666 (Purple Lightning)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're going to be prototyping some intake drive styles shortly. Our roller-based prototypes all had issues with jamming cubes that were collected at angles, as many other teams have found. We also couldn't find a timing belt that would grab the cube worth a darn. So, it's obvious we want continuous moving contact with the cube, it can be done with wheels (Triple Helix and Spectrum have some lovely prototypes they've published), but we wanted something a little different (remember that 'weirdness' column in our weighted decision matrix? yeah...) so our next prototype will feature #35 chain that has been studded with rubber bumpers.

Snip

The bumpers are ~10mm in diameter, which seems to be a good size to interlock with the structure of the milk crate inside of the bag. In fact, the green compliant wheels seem to do a great job of gripping the cubes because they squeeze into these features. We should have everything we need tomorrow. I hope to have a video within a day or two.
How do you plan to run these bumpers in the configuration shown with the opening in the chain filled with a bolt? Seems like the sprocket would have a hard time fitting into that part of the chain.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberphil View Post
How do you plan to run these bumpers in the configuration shown with the opening in the chain filled with a bolt? Seems like the sprocket would have a hard time fitting into that part of the chain.
Good question. There is a bit of thought here:

Add a bumper every 3rd openingin the chain.
We're using 15t sprockets, notching away every 3rd sprocket tooth.
The chain run is 54 or 60 links (can't recall exactly).

With every critical count divisible by 3 we can synchronize the sprocket cut-outs with the bumper screws and everything should mesh just fine.

I originally read about this in an FTC design book in a chapter on elevators.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:12 AM
That Guy

Cyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond reputeCyberphil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Good question. There is a bit of thought here:

Add a bumper every 3rd openingin the chain.
We're using 15t sprockets, notching away every 3rd sprocket tooth.
The chain run is 54 or 60 links (can't recall exactly).

With every critical count divisible by 3 we can synchronize the sprocket cut-outs with the bumper screws and everything should mesh just fine.

I originally read about this in an FTC design book in a chapter on elevators.
Glad this was thought about. Another solution is using attachment links but that can get really tedious really fast. I've been trying to find conveyor chain with rubber, or adjustable length tread of some kind but I haven't found anything remotely sized for robots, nor a place that sells any small quantity of the stuff.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Glad this was thought about. Another solution is using attachment links but that can get really tedious really fast. I've been trying to find conveyor chain with rubber, or adjustable length tread of some kind but I haven't found anything remotely sized for robots, nor a place that sells any small quantity of the stuff.
Indeed! Those are both things that we looked at and chose not to pursue for the reasons you cite.

#67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
EricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The notches punched into the frame clear the nasty corner, our intent is to keep everything below that projection. We might add a cover plate to ensure that nothing gets us into trouble.
I like the notch idea. Are you worried about bottoming out on your frame (or drive chain on the one side) though with 4" 6wd? Or are you doing some CoG magic to make sure you never bottom out?

Quote:
I've been trying to find conveyor chain with rubber, or adjustable length tread of some kind but I haven't found anything remotely sized for robots, nor a place that sells any small quantity of the stuff.
I know 11 used this on their drivetrain in 2016 with success: http://www.tankchain.com/shop/
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:36 AM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDrost View Post
I know 11 used this on their drivetrain in 2016 with success: http://www.tankchain.com/shop/
This stuff looks great besides the hundreds of master links, the exorbitant cost ($50 for a foot?), and not knowing the grippy-ness of the material. It looks like smooth plastic to me which instantly makes it non-viable, though we could rubber dip them or put some other form of adhesion. The cost to benefit ratio is just too high.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 2008
EricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond reputeEricDrost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It looks like smooth plastic to me which instantly makes it non-viable, though we could rubber dip them or put some other form of adhesion. The cost to benefit ratio is just too high.
To the best of my memory it was 65A urethane, which would put it on par with a colson wheel. I can't find that published anywhere though. The company's contact info is here if you want to ask: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=153160

EDIT: Just found it, 70A durometer. https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...62&postcount=3

Last edited by EricDrost : 01-23-2018 at 10:00 AM.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDrost View Post
I like the notch idea. Are you worried about bottoming out on your frame (or drive chain on the one side) though with 4" 6wd? Or are you doing some CoG magic to make sure you never bottom out?]
We'll be rear-biased to help with not touching chain down, though if we do I'm not too worried. We pulled our frame way up, to the point where we had to reorder some of the fabrication ops to make the chassis plates. We believe that we have the ground clearance that is needed for this game.

#71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Hardcore Dork

Our second batch of parts from Progressive arrived last night. This is life-changing for us. The amount of saved time by having low-risk parts made out of house is tremendous. We've been able to focus our time on iterating and modeling collector parts.

Our first Chain Maw prototype got finished last night. Here is what the guts look like:

The whole mechanism:

We only tested it for a few minutes last night, but the results look promising. It quickly grabbed and reoriented cubes into position. We're going to make new plates for it tomorrow, these ones wind up with the chain a little too loose as you can see.

#72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:26 AM
FRC #1756

Rookie Year: 2010
Bpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Our second batch of parts from Progressive arrived last night. This is life-changing for us. The amount of saved time by having low-risk parts made out of house is tremendous. We've been able to focus our time on iterating and modeling collector parts.

Our first Chain Maw prototype got finished last night. Here is what the guts look like:

The whole mechanism:

We only tested it for a few minutes last night, but the results look promising. It quickly grabbed and reoriented cubes into position. We're going to make new plates for it tomorrow, these ones wind up with the chain a little too loose as you can see.
that is one cool chain. We have always kicked around the idea of doing something like this but never could figure it out. We ended up buying something like this http://www.qr-chain.com/Double-pitch...ttachments.htm in 2015. Did you mill the gear or cut a new one? Also do you have any videos would love to see this working
2015 Newton Quality Award
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:28 AM
Engineer/Mentor
AKA: Derek
FRC #1708 (Amp'd Robotics (formally Natural Selection))

Rookie Year: 2004
D_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant future

Quote:

The whole mechanism:

Always a plus to have outside help on parts as you focus on other aspects of the robot until they come in. I know we have the luxury (this year) of outside sheet metal help which cuts down time considerably. Those are some "mean" looking arms for the intake mechanism! Looks good can't wait to see the rest!
"Education is a powerful tool. Always use it to better someone else's life"
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:29 AM
That Guy

Absolutely love the arm with the studs! Looks like a few simple plunges on the sprockets and a careful design of the length of the chain got you the intended results. Looking forward to hearing how this fairs!
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Absolutely love the arm with the studs! Looks like a few simple plunges on the sprockets and a careful design of the length of the chain got you the intended results. Looking forward to hearing how this fairs!
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpk9p4 View Post
that is one cool chain. We have always kicked around the idea of doing something like this but never could figure it out. We ended up buying something like this http://www.qr-chain.com/Double-pitch...ttachments.htm in 2015. Did you mill the gear or cut a new one? Also do you have any videos would love to see this working
See above.

I'm planning on getting some video tonight when we remake the slide plates and the chains don't slip off due to poor c2c placement of sprockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Price View Post
Always a plus to have outside help on parts as you focus on other aspects of the robot until they come in. I know we have the luxury (this year) of outside sheet metal help which cuts down time considerably. Those are some "mean" looking arms for the intake mechanism! Looks good can't wait to see the rest!
Thanks! It is a luxury, and also a significant advantage for a small team like us. A typical meeting is 3-5 students and 2-3 coaches, and when we can all focus on development and assembling our two robots instead of fabrication our schedule accelerates dramatically.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: