Go to Post Come on guys, its not like it's rocket surgery or anything. - hallk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2016, 07:34 PM
AKA: Tabia Schmidt
FRC #2521 (SERT)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
tab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud of
How does your CAD team work?

Hi Chief Delphi!

My team finally got a CAD team going, a group of 3 kids (including myself) this past season. We have at least 6 more kids interested in learning CAD, and we have a few laptops available for this purpose. Last season, we basically had one student do most of the CAD work because we only had one laptop. Now that we have access to more computers, how do other students divide up the work? I'd be very interested in hearing from other teams about the division of tasks and how students communicate.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Sharpie Thief
AKA: B
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
Brad Hanel is on a distinguished road
Re: How does your CAD team work?

We don't have an official CAD team, but we have different "mechanical subteams" that each split into those who CAD and those who build. We generally have one subteam for each robot system (shooter, scaler, drives, etc.).

Anyway, there is generally one person we have on each subteam who manages all of the CAD for the subsystem. The other CAD members of the subteam work with this person and are generally given smaller jobs like parts to make and idw files for the shop kids, but the one person is in charge of the overall sub-assembly. (Given that it sounds like you have less computers/students, these extra students to help the subteam lead may not be available, but I would recommend at least having one student in charge of each sub-assembly.)

These sub-assemblies are then put together in a big file by the "integration lead." He meshes the different systems together, putting together the full finished robot, and then tells the other subteams where they collide with each other.

To help with communication, we have weekly or bi-weekly "integration meetings" where each subteam gives a powerpoint explaining where they are so far and what their plans are going forward. These are very useful for us and help the CAD teams stay in touch with each other.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Hey, what's in the bag?
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Hm. The truth is, they don't work. Kinda lazy, in fact

Almost all the designers use CAD to make their designs. It is a small team, so if I said 4 people can do CAD, that's almost everyone...

On a different team with which I am familiar, the small CAD team follows the designers around with rulers, and CAD things after they are built . I know this is bass-ackwards, and I am sure they know it too (I have told them enough!), but for some reason they use CAD to document what's already fabricated.

In fact, that's a major reason they do not yet have any CNC machinery: Can't fab what ain't designed.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM
wasting my time, one line at a time
AKA: Josie
FRC #4329 (Roboteers)
Team Role: Programmer

b1nary is an unknown quantity at this point

we have three computers upstairs in our shop with what we call the CADic. one of the computers has two monitors, which is good for productivity. we usually have two students working up there with inventor 2014 or 2016, but other students have expressed interest there as well.
i was not an active member on my CAD team, but we had one student designing intake mechanisms, another designing the drive frame; and it'd switch off to sometimes building individual parts and then assembling them. we use a site called grabCAD, which allows our team to sync our CAD files to a pool which can be downloaded onto another computer. it's a great file sharing community - there's tons of other cool files on there too.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Captain | Driver | Junior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
dirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant future

We have 3 main CADers (myself included), we essentially split up the work. All three of us know each other well enough, that we know how each other think, so working together and making a part to fit into a bigger design is easy.

The main idea formation process is just whoever comes up with the idea. For example, while we were working on the shooter this year, the main overview idea was made by a parent (we are a small team only 8 students and 3 mentors), than the parent built a prototype out of wood, and showed it to one of the CADers. It was up to the CADer to create that basic design in CAD, but it was also up to him to figure out how to make everything work (of course, getting advice every step of the way). Everything else was essentially done the same way.

Speaking about workflow, again we 3 just split up the work. This year, one person started on the shooter, than we came up for the idea for the drivetrain, so I started on the drivetrain, than we came up with the idea for the intake, so the third guy started on the intake. We just kept cycling like this.

Now once each various piece was created (for example when the shooter was created), than the file was handed off to me, to incorporate it into the main bot. It was easier this way, because one person would have the main overview, and know what needs to be done, without any confusion created by miscommunication.

So for your team, I suggest you have one "lead" CADer, who maintains the main project, while everyone else works on individual parts. And most importantly, make sure all three members on the CAD team get along, it will be real hard to get work done, if there is continuous argument of how something should be done.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need advice/help! Good luck with your CADing!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Lead Designer, Driver
AKA: Boone Shangle
no team (Titanium Dragons)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
Tsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud ofTsukunea has much to be proud of

Hi, we have "three" designers, meaning me, myself, and I, cause our other two people don't know much about CAD and I'm the only one with my own laptop where I can work from anywhere. Of course, we are a rookie team so we'll probably get more people who will want to design but so far it's mainly me. We have a shared OneDrive folder where we have our large assembly, and then a folder for "PARTS" which is further split into folders so we can keep things organized. I'd say our (my) CADing was pretty good though, we entered into Michigan Industrial Education Society MD-17 with diagrams of our robot in early May and got 2nd at Regionals and 3rd at State
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Captain | Driver | Junior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

dirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant futuredirtbikerxz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukunea View Post
Hi, we have "three" designers, meaning me, myself, and I, cause our other two people don't know much about CAD and I'm the only one with my own laptop where I can work from anywhere. Of course, we are a rookie team so we'll probably get more people who will want to design but so far it's mainly me. We have a shared OneDrive folder where we have our large assembly, and then a folder for "PARTS" which is further split into folders so we can keep things organized. I'd say our (my) CADing was pretty good though, we entered into Michigan Industrial Education Society MD-17 with diagrams of our robot in early May and got 2nd at Regionals and 3rd at State
I will suggest you guys look into grabcad in the future... or now
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2016, 12:07 AM
Head Mentor
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

This year we had 3 students as CAD leads and about 5 more students helping here in there. Of the student leads, one was trained by taking a community college class and the other two learned from tutorials, peers and mentors. Two of them had their own cad computers. We had two cad mentors including me. We have 2 workstations and 3 CAD laptops. So when I bring my own laptop, we have about 8 computers in total. We have a server and use Solidworks PDM to manage our files. We also use GrabCAD and would use it more if we had a better internet connection at our build area. We mostly use GrabCAD to share ideas and side projects.

The 3 leads manage their own main assemblies and designs, the remaining students floated around. So we started with drive, turret and intake; we later added the tower, and scaler. The mentors review their design and help spring board the student ideas. We help teach students who are struggling or found a particularly difficult challenge. For example this year, I taught a student how to design a sprocket using the machinery handbook for reference.

CAD remains our bottle neck, and I would like all the CAD students to stick to their own projects rather then being chaotically move around. We improved this year by giving our students the necessary skills to take initiative but there is still improvement to be made. We are improving our CAD training and using CAM training to also give students a chance to build their own ideas before the build season. 2 of the lead CAD students are returning next year. I hope to have 6 lead CAD students by next year.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Inventor guy
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

scott.smith will become famous soon enough

We have one person, usually the most skilled in CAD, handle the final assembly of the robot, and making complicated parts. Everyone else makes the CAD for their respective subteam (Drivetrain, shooter, scaler, Etc.) and shares it through a file sharing program (We use Vault) for the main assembly person to add on to the robot. Also, in our system ONLY one person is allowed to touch the main assembly at a time.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Minister of Zip Ties
AKA: Sam Ehrenstein
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Mechanical

qscgy has a spectacular aura aboutqscgy has a spectacular aura about

Our CAD team is basically just three guys. Generally, our Mechanics subteam will prototype mechanisms and figure out the required geometry. We have weekly integration meetings to keep everyone on the same page as to how everything fits together, which was especially important this year. This year, we were in constant communication with CAD to figure out size constraints and work out how to integrate everything, and keep the robot CAD up to date.

FRC Team 449, 2014-Present
Case Western Reserve University Class of 2021

Last edited by qscgy : 05-19-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: clarity
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2016, 08:57 AM
FRC #1683 (Techno Titans)

Sid323 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our CAD team has about 5 people at a time, and I wouldn't suggest going much bigger than that size. Beyond that point, productivity really decreases, especially with relatively untrained members. We have one leader who leads camps and teaches CAD in the offseason. That way, the other members can do most of the actual work during the season, and the CAD leader can spearhead the overall design while delegating tasks.

In terms of keeping everything organized, we used GrabCAD, which I've seen other people on this thread mention. It's a great way to keep files organized and on record from season to season, while also being able to view and recover file editing history (in case of mistakes).

One suggestion I'd make for training CAD students is to make sure everyone understands machining capabilities before actually working on CAD design. In other words, get everyone trained on all the machines you have access to, so that you don't design beyond your resources.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 01:01 AM
AKA: Tabia Schmidt
FRC #2521 (SERT)
Team Role: Leadership

tab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud oftab1a has much to be proud of

Thanks to everyone who's shared so far! I will for sure look into better organization and structuring for the design to build process for next season. Also, thank you all for suggesting Grabcad, we will definitely be using it soon. Additionally, I love the idea of integration meetings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hanel View Post
To help with communication, we have weekly or bi-weekly "integration meetings" where each subteam gives a powerpoint explaining where they are so far and what their plans are going forward. These are very useful for us and help the CAD teams stay in touch with each other.
I suggested this to my team, and we will definitely be doing this.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2016, 11:05 PM
Invention is for chumps.
AKA: Alex Lederman
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Mechanical

Gravity is just really niceGravity is just really niceGravity is just really niceGravity is just really niceGravity is just really nice

Our CAD team is comprised of 5 members that design and print out drawings for the build division of our team to fabricate. Everything that is designed is documented and held in folders in our workshop.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Gone NE
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2012
frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Our CAD team is comprised of 5 members that design and print out drawings for the build division of our team to fabricate. Everything that is designed is documented and held in folders in our workshop.

Also, as far as CAM goes, we're probably going to have the design team pass the part to be machined to fabrication and then they make and generate the CAM. We're also having all of our fabrication team become moderately proficient in SolidWorks as well.

Team 5940: 2015-

Volunteer: 300 4000 () miles and counting!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-30-2016, 01:00 PM
AKA: Randy Smith
FRC #4060 (S.W.A.G. 4060)

Forhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond reputeForhire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcguy View Post
Also, as far as CAM goes, we're probably going to have the design team pass the part to be machined to fabrication and then they make and generate the CAM. We're also having all of our fabrication team become moderately proficient in SolidWorks as well.
This is the method we use. One thing we did this season was to have the student that was going to machine the part sit down with the designer and check the part for machinabilty and fix stuff before they send over the model. They caught a lot of small issues which in the end saved time.

Last edited by Forhire : 06-30-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: