OCCRA
Go to Post Anything that moves sideways is a waste of time. - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM
FRC #6078 (RoboRams)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2016
lweise is an unknown quantity at this point
pic: First iteration of the snuffle attachement

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:46 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: First iteration of the snuffle attachement

Some things that we are doing as we are another vacuum powered team...at least for now.

Vacuums do work...and we've been able to match/exceed the speed of wheeled intakes in competition.
Achieving consistent fast line up speed and avoiding occasional dropping of cubes has been our larger issues thus far.

https://www.thebluealliance.com/match/2018gagai_qf3m2
https://www.thebluealliance.com/match/2018gagai_qm47

We will be swapping out our 4 drive-train CIM motors to mini-CIM motors as there is significant data pointing to lower voltage/current draw in a match. We ran these motors last year so we know we won't have any problems.
Which of course means the vacuum can run with more power.

What diameter bowl is that? We use an 9" diameter bowl, and when we pick up cubes on the FIRST logo side, like you seem to be doing...we have the strongest hold.

Have you considered adding a second stage to your vacuum system? We did that, and saw a much more reliable/stronger hold on cubes.

Good luck with the suck!
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain

Last edited by JohnFogarty : 03-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM
FRC #6078 (RoboRams)

Thanks so much for the ideas! We have moved the snuffle attachment so that it is less floppy. The current design was not holding it well enough when we turned. Our bowl is currently about 7 inches in diameter. The new bucket attachment is a bit bigger (8inches...ish). What do you mean by second stage?

Last edited by lweise : 03-13-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: noticed I didn't answer a question...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

Can we all just take a minute to appreciate the name of this device, "the snuffle attachment." By far, one of my favourite names for an FRC mechanism that I've heard yet. If a name hasn't been decided upon for the bot, might I suggest, Snuffleupagus.

Also, awesome use of the armabot to solve this year's challenge in a unique way. Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you guys this weekend.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad321 View Post
Can we all just take a minute to appreciate the name of this device, "the snuffle attachment." By far, one of my favourite names for an FRC mechanism that I've heard yet. If a name hasn't been decided upon for the bot, might I suggest, Snuffleupagus.

Also, awesome use of the armabot to solve this year's challenge in a unique way. Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you guys this weekend.
Snuffleupagus, meet Oscar (from 2004).

Now someone should be the Count. One cube, ahahah, two cubes, ahahah....and if we have a 2015 game instead of Batman and Robin, Bert and Ernie!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 02:04 PM
FRC #6078 (RoboRams)

Thanks for noticing the snuffle name reference! I love the oscar. The idea of using a drive train that has less power to give more power to the armavac and motor is an interesting one. We are also tinkering with a dump truck arm. So little time, so many ideas...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: