OCCRA
Go to Post I personally think a large trophy and that warm, fuzzy feeling you get inside is a satisfactory prize for winning a competition. - Dan Petrovic [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Landon K's Avatar
Landon K Landon K is offline
Registered User
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: May 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Wayland, MI
Posts: 71
Landon K is on a distinguished road
pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2018, 05:11 PM
Richard Wallace's Avatar
Richard Wallace Richard Wallace is offline
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Rookie Year: 1996
Location: Southwestern Michigan
Posts: 4,391
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Looks really cool. Should be a little bit lighter than the 1.9 lb EVO Slim for Redline, and it is definitely more compact.

My team ran three 775 motors per side this season, at 20.46 ratio with 4" Colsons in an 8WD setup. Never a problem with motor heating. Our ratio is close to one of the options in your design (22:54 final stage) while your other option (24:52) is faster by about 13%. Based on our experience I think that one would be safe to run also. It would give a little less zip coming off the line, and higher top speed. Which option is preferred will depend on the game and how your team intends to play it.
__________________
Richard Wallace

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Landon K's Avatar
Landon K Landon K is offline
Registered User
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: May 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Wayland, MI
Posts: 71
Landon K is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
Looks really cool. Should be a little bit lighter than the 1.9 lb EVO Slim for Redline, and it is definitely more compact.

My team ran three 775 motors per side this season, at 20.46 ratio with 4" Colsons in an 8WD setup. Never a problem with motor heating. Our ratio is close to one of the options in your design (22:54 final stage) while your other option (24:52) is faster by about 13%. Based on our experience I think that one would be safe to run also. It would give a little less zip coming off the line, and higher top speed. Which option is preferred will depend on the game and how your team intends to play it.
Thank you very much for the kind words. The goal was to make it as compact as possible with COTS parts. The gearing was a conservative guess, but could be changed easily for any game. A 4 inch wheel also can barely fit inside the 775s to use the wasted space above the wheels.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Skyehawk's Avatar
Skyehawk Skyehawk is offline
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 668
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Nice job.

Small critique: add (or increase) fillets in you pocketing, what you have it is creating all sorts of stress risers. I am assuming the plates are to be cut on a water-jet, but this would give you the option to do it on a CNC router w/o altering your design. 1/8" or 3/16 should be fine w/o adding too much weight. You also have some weird pocketing at one spot, not sure if that is intentional or not. I can't see it really causing much of an issue, it's just not along the line of action of the web.

You may be able to use counter-sunk fasteners on the first-reduction side of the 775 Pro Gearbox Plate, snug the bull gear up to the plate, and reduce the length of the input pinions to reduce o/all thickness & cut a little weight.
__________________
My time in FIRST has made me a better person, frankly I don't know where I'd be without it.
  • A small mountain of hardware, good memories & life lessons with 876: 2011 - 2018
  • Inevitable good times upcoming with 2767 : 2018 - ????

Last edited by Skyehawk : 07-22-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Landon K's Avatar
Landon K Landon K is offline
Registered User
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: May 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Wayland, MI
Posts: 71
Landon K is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Nice job.

Small critique: add (or increase) fillets in you pocketing, what you have it is creating all sorts of stress risers. I am assuming the plates are to be cut on a water-jet, but this would give you the option to do it on a CNC router w/o altering your design. 1/8" or 3/16 should be fine w/o adding too much weight. You also have some weird pocketing at one spot, not sure if that is intentional or not. I can't see it really causing much of an issue, it's just not along the line of action of the web.

You may be able to use counter-sunk fasteners on the first-reduction side of the 775 Pro Gearbox Plate, snug the bull gear up to the plate, and reduce the length of the input pinions to reduce o/all thickness & cut a little weight.
Thank you, the fillets were thought about for manufacturing but I couldn't find an easy way to filet all of the corners without going one by one. I believe that weird pocketing is from changing the design a bit after doing the pocketing, good eye! Thank you for all the feedback.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Bryce2471's Avatar
Bryce2471 Bryce2471 is offline
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 663
Bryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond reputeBryce2471 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon K View Post
Thank you, the fillets were thought about for manufacturing but I couldn't find an easy way to filet all of the corners without going one by one. I believe that weird pocketing is from changing the design a bit after doing the pocketing, good eye! Thank you for all the feedback.
I'm guessing you're using solidworks from the picture.
https://youtu.be/Tq7vz3L3Fbs?t=23s
__________________
2006-2011:
FLL Team Future imagineers
2011-????:
FRC Team Mean Machine
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Landon K's Avatar
Landon K Landon K is offline
Registered User
AKA: Landon Kohtz
FRC #6090 (Wayland Wildcats)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: May 2017
Rookie Year: 2016
Location: Wayland, MI
Posts: 71
Landon K is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce2471 View Post
I'm guessing you're using solidworks from the picture.
https://youtu.be/Tq7vz3L3Fbs?t=23s

Whaaa... that will come in handy, thank you for the helpful tip!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM
nuclearnerd's Avatar
nuclearnerd nuclearnerd is offline
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Rookie Year: 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 845
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 775 Pro Compact Gearbox

I like it!

My only advice would be to add in provision for a mag encoder (room in the shaft for a magnet, tapped mounting holes in the plates). Here's how we did it: https://workbench.grabcad.com/workbe...b/link/1345320

Note that the CAD is a little inaccurate: the first stage bearings were 3/8" ID round bearings. The first stage hex shaft (with the encoder magnet) was rounded at the ends where they fit in the bearing, and the shaft was confined between the bearings by the non-rounded portion of the shaft.

Last edited by nuclearnerd : 07-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi