OCCRA
Go to Post but eventually it seems that we realize that there's an I in FIRST, and the I stands for Inspiration, not for "me" - MrForbes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 06:33 PM
AKA: Justin Chau
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
justin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nice
pic: Slip Ring Swerve

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2018, 11:43 PM
AKA: Oliver Nicholls
FRC #4613 (The Barker Redbacks - 4613)

Rookie Year: 2013
Ollystorm is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: Slip Ring Swerve

Hey man, that's a pretty sweet design!! What's the black ...thing... on top of the wheel sticking vertically up? I can't see an obvious purpose for it.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:03 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

That's the slip ring, not showing the wires.

I agree it is a pretty cool design. Very low ground clearance, so maybe not for every game.

I also think it is geared aggressively. 17.33 from the 775pro to a three inch Colson puts the slip current (on FRC carpet) a little over 60 Ampere, so you are traction limited on the "wrong" side of peak power. No real issue as long as you stay out of shoving matches, with other robots or with a barrier.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 01:22 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
That's the slip ring, not showing the wires.

I agree it is a pretty cool design. Very low ground clearance, so maybe not for every game.

I also think it is geared aggressively. 17.33 from the 775pro to a three inch Colson puts the slip current (on FRC carpet) a little over 60 Ampere, so you are traction limited on the "wrong" side of peak power. No real issue as long as you stay out of shoving matches, with other robots or with a barrier.
Would you mind expanding on being traction limited in the "wrong" side of peak power?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Couple of questions:

Why the 775 for steering? With the drive motor on the turret, there will not be any reaction torque back into the steering motor from the drive torque. So it seems like you could easily reduce the size, weight and cost of the module by switching to a smaller motor like an RS550.

What slip ring are you using? How many wires and what rating per wire? What are your wire allocations?

The most appropriate slip ring we have been able to find is a 6 wire with 30 amps per wire rating. But this slip ring would not allow you to send full power to the drive motor without using 2 wires to feed power and 2 wires for power ground return. This leaves only 2 wires for a wheel speed encoder. However, if you limit the motor power to 30 amps in the motor controller, then you would still have 4 wires available for the encoder.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 09:35 AM
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgorgen View Post
Couple of questions:

Why the 775 for steering? With the drive motor on the turret, there will not be any reaction torque back into the steering motor from the drive torque. So it seems like you could easily reduce the size, weight and cost of the module by switching to a smaller motor like an RS550.

What slip ring are you using? How many wires and what rating per wire? What are your wire allocations?

The most appropriate slip ring we have been able to find is a 6 wire with 30 amps per wire rating. But this slip ring would not allow you to send full power to the drive motor without using 2 wires to feed power and 2 wires for power ground return. This leaves only 2 wires for a wheel speed encoder. However, if you limit the motor power to 30 amps in the motor controller, then you would still have 4 wires available for the encoder.
I think that's a Talon downstream of the slip ring. Looks like the plan is to pass CAN through the slip ring. 2 for power, 2 for ground, 2 for CAN.

RS550 would be a better choice for azimuth IMO.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wasserman View Post
I think that's a Talon downstream of the slip ring. Looks like the plan is to pass CAN through the slip ring. 2 for power, 2 for ground, 2 for CAN.
Has anyone (i.e. Bomb Squad) done this and had success? I would be worried about noise in the slip ring contactors. But maybe at typical swerve rotational speeds the slip ring is pretty noise-free.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has anyone (i.e. Bomb Squad) done this and had success? I would be worried about noise in the slip ring contactors. But maybe at typical swerve rotational speeds the slip ring is pretty noise-free.
At least one team has successfully run CAN through a slip ring, although I forget who. I was quite impressed with it.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
At least one team has successfully run CAN through a slip ring, although I forget who. I was quite impressed with it.
323 and I believe 16 as well are doing this.
Clarke's Laws
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

323 did (as has 16), we had no major issues pertaining to data transmission. I don't recall seeing CAN errors caused by it. (Logs showed CAN errors caused by some issues on the PDP). Quantifying this data is on my TODO list but it may be OBE by other developments, will depend on prioritization of resources and goals.

It used 2x 775Pros and thus 2x Talon SRXs on each module, they were on 30A breakers each. Encoder feedback could be retrieved via CAN bus but was local to the SRXs for motion profiling purposes.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Turns on a dime like a champ
AKA: Hamby
FRC #1073

kyle_hamblett has a spectacular aura aboutkyle_hamblett has a spectacular aura aboutkyle_hamblett has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wasserman View Post

RS550 would be a better choice for azimuth IMO.
Wouldn't you need 4 wires for CAN, as it's run in series, as in 2 in and 2 out?

2013-2017: FRC 1073 Student
2017-?: FRC 1073 Mentor
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Would you mind expanding on being traction limited in the "wrong" side of peak power?
For reference, the power curve for the 775 pro is the green line in the first graph on this page.

The "right" side of peak power is faster and lower torque, which is on the right side of the graph. If the load increases, the motor slows down, the torque increases, and the power rises to meet the demand. This side of the power peak also has significantly greater efficiency (dotted red line), meaning less of your battery power turning into heat in the motor.

The "wrong" side is slower and higher torque than the power peak. Same statements, in reverse.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:18 PM
AKA: Lucas Pickett
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustangs)

lapickett has a spectacular aura aboutlapickett has a spectacular aura about

I have never seen heaven and hell in one picture. Great design.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:26 PM
AKA: Justin Chau
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)

justin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollystorm View Post
Hey man, that's a pretty sweet design!! What's the black ...thing... on top of the wheel sticking vertically up? I can't see an obvious purpose for it.
Thank you! And yup, that's the slip ring.

Quote:
Couple of questions:

The 775pro is used for steering mostly due to my unfamiliarity with swerve. I know the 775pro is overkill for this application though. If this is built, I plan to run the 775pro below 12v. It should help reduce thermal buildup compared to an RS550. It is a VP though, so it's easily changeable to an RS550 if wanted.

The slip ring I found is also a 6 wire rated at 30 amps per wire. I suspect it's the same one you found. There is a Talon SRX on the module though, so CAN can be used to read the encoder data. This leaves 4 wires for the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_hamblett View Post
The CAN topology is relatively flexible. I believe that 16's setup was similar in that they ran CAN through their slip ring. It is possible to use only 2 wires for can using a star topology, for example.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud ofMark Wasserman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_hamblett View Post
The 2 yellow wires and 2 green wires are electrically the same. Inside the Talon they literally twist them together and solder them to the PCB. That's why there is no labeled "innie" or "outie" on the CAN wires. I don't see why you can't make the junction on the stationary side of the swerve. I would dissect the slip ring to try to figure out which 2 slip rings that are farthest away from the others for noise purposes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: