OCCRA
Go to Post So as you're thinking about this, think simple. - Cyberguy34000 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Upgraded FRC Control System Wiring Diagram

Since you put a mechanical switch on the diagram, for bonus points you could add a wiring diagram for an NPN switch (infrared, ultrasonic, inductive etc.) like this one. They are trickier because you they typically run on 12V (so you need to get power from the VRM, not the Rio) and the switching state may not match the threshold of the Rio's digital inputs so it might be easier to wire it to the Rio's analog input. If it sounds like I don't fully know what I'm talking about, it's true - so a wiring diagram would be helpful Someone with more electrical expertise than me can put together a sketch.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
Since you put a mechanical switch on the diagram, for bonus points you could add a wiring diagram for an NPN switch (infrared, ultrasonic, inductive etc.) like this one. They are trickier because you they typically run on 12V (so you need to get power from the VRM, not the Rio) and the switching state may not match the threshold of the Rio's digital inputs so it might be easier to wire it to the Rio's analog input. If it sounds like I don't fully know what I'm talking about, it's true - so a wiring diagram would be helpful Someone with more electrical expertise than me can put together a sketch.

Yes, showing how to connect these NPN-output devices would be helpful.

The RoboRio's switching thresholds should not be a problem with the NPN-output devices since the output voltages should be just below the 12 V supply when in the Hi state and very close to zero V when in the Lo state.

The RoboRio Spec Sheet states that Analogue Inputs have a range of 0~5 V and are protected for +- 16V. While the Analogue Inputs will survive being connected to +12 V, it is not good practice. It would be better to use a resistive divider to drop the Hi level to below 5 V so that the protection devices are not active for long periods of time. It would then not matter whether it is connected to one of the Analogue Inputs or one of the Digital Inputs.

The Digital Inputs are "compatible" with 5 V inputs and have 40 KOhm pullup resistors connected to the internal 3.3 V supply. I have never found any references to protection devices on the DIO's. It is not clear if they are guaranteed to survive being connected to anything higher than 5~6 V.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
Yes, showing how to connect these NPN-output devices would be helpful.

The RoboRio's switching thresholds should not be a problem with the NPN-output devices since the output voltages should be just below the 12 V supply when in the Hi state and very close to zero V when in the Lo state.

The RoboRio Spec Sheet states that Analogue Inputs have a range of 0~5 V and are protected for +- 16V. While the Analogue Inputs will survive being connected to +12 V, it is not good practice. It would be better to use a resistive divider to drop the Hi level to below 5 V so that the protection devices are not active for long periods of time. It would then not matter whether it is connected to one of the Analogue Inputs or one of the Digital Inputs.

The Digital Inputs are "compatible" with 5 V inputs and have 40 KOhm pullup resistors connected to the internal 3.3 V supply. I have never found any references to protection devices on the DIO's. It is not clear if they are guaranteed to survive being connected to anything higher than 5~6 V.
Isn't that contrary to what you said here? https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...01&postcount=7
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Isn't that contrary to what you said here? https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...01&postcount=7

Good catch!

There really needs to be two answers. My answer above assumes that the output is driven to 0V or the sensor supply voltage. In the old thread, the device was only driven to 0V and relied on an external pullup resistor to provide the Hi level, hence the resistor to the 5 V supply. I just noticed that the datasheet that Brendan linked to would indicate it is like the one in the old thread if one reads between the lines for long enough.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: