OCCRA
Go to Post it's better to try to help and be trolled than to write off a team that needs help. - engunneer [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2018, 01:56 PM
AKA: tomer Karpovsky
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2017
KarpTomer is an unknown quantity at this point
pic: 2 speed flipped 4 775 pro gearbox

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Do the CAD, save the world.
AKA: James
FRC #3506 (YETI Robotics)

baconbot is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: 2 speed flipped 4 775 pro gearbox

I like the design, but I would personally choose not to use it on a west coast drive train. I prefer to use CIM motors for drive trains, and 775 motors for object handling and linear motion (elevators, etc.). Another thing that concerns me with this design is that you would probably not be in a good position if you got in a pushing match with a west coast drive using a 3 CIM shifter. I could see those motors getting smoked if you pushed them too far.

Nevertheless, your design looks like it would be good for a game where robot size is extremely limited, because it allows for extra space between gearboxes (assuming you are using them on a west coast drive train) to fit components.

That's all I the advice I can give without looking at the CAD. if you could post it, I would be able to get a closer look at it and maybe give some more advice.

Last edited by baconbot : 08-20-2018 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2018, 07:57 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbot View Post
I like the design, but I would personally choose not to use it on a west coast drive train. I prefer to use CIM motors for drive trains, and 775 motors for object handling and linear motion (elevators, etc.). Another thing that concerns me with this design is that you would probably not be in a good position if you got in a pushing match with a west coast drive using a 3 CIM shifter. I could see those motors getting smoked if you pushed them too far.

Nevertheless, your design looks like it would be good for a game where robot size is extremely limited, because it allows for extra space between gearboxes (assuming you are using them on a west coast drive train) to fit components.

That's all I the advice I can give without looking at the CAD. if you could post it, I would be able to get a closer look at it and maybe give some more advice.
Not sure if you've been around CD recently, but there have been several discussions on the merits of 775s in many applications in the past few months. A search for "775pro drive site:chiefdelphi.com" on Google will bring up many relevant results to peruse.
The TL;DR is that 775pro drive gearboxes are ok with caution. A 8-775 drivetrain will very easily live the season with current limiting or 30A breakers on the motors.

Love the design. Very compact, and I love the offset gear to save space. One thing I have to mention is that the motor mounting plate looks pretty heavily pocketed and thin; changing to 1/4" material there might be prudent, and making the webbing thicker.
For free speed I'm getting about 18.5fps with a 4" wheel. That's not a bad free speed, but may be a little fast even with 4 775s. It really comes down to how your driver is handling it, so if you plan on making this, make sure your driver can handle it.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

Last edited by asid61 : 08-20-2018 at 08:01 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Student Captain
AKA: Aaron Fang
FRC #3863 (Pantherbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NerdRage has a spectacular aura aboutNerdRage has a spectacular aura aboutNerdRage has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarpTomer View Post
Since you're looking for feedback, the only thing I can say without seeing the CAD is that I would use a snap ring to hold the large cluster gear in place instead of the screw + washer. Granted, you might not have the capability to machine a groove, but I generally prefer snap rings since they're lighter and don't have the possibility of self-loosening.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:41 AM
AKA: tomer Karpovsky
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

KarpTomer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for the responses I published the CAD here
Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
One thing I have to mention is that the motor mounting plate looks pretty heavily pocketed and thin; changing to 1/4" material there might be prudent, and making the webbing thicker.
I am not sure how thick should the webbing be my webbing is 4 mm wide and the plates are 5 mm thick. when we will have our new CNC router setup we will start testing with the pocketing
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 01:59 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am not sure how thick should the webbing be my webbing is 4 mm wide and the plates are 5 mm thick. when we will have our new CNC router setup we will start testing with the pocketing
I normally do approximately 6mm wide by 6mm thick webbing. Especially if this is your first custom gearbox like this, compromising with thinner webs may not be a good idea.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Not sure if you've seen our 2018 gearboxes but they look to be pretty similar. Something we did was instead of webbing the plate for vents we pocketed out the area around the motor mounts to create a raised boss to space the motor from the plate. IMO it allowed for better airflow especially once you get to thicker plates. Conveniently it's also quicker to machine since you don't need to move to a tiny end mill to get sharp corners.

The pocketing ended up reducing the plate to about 5mm thick. This was a little too thin in our experience even though our design was a little better supported than yours. We had some issues where the plate would bend making the mesh uneven and causing premature pinion wear.
In the future we'd probably want to start with 3/8 in material but remove more of it leaving thicker ribs.

The other thing I'd note is if your designing a 32DP gearbox where the motors fully surround the gear instead of just being on one side you should add a little bit of distance to your C-C especially if your machine isn't capable of holding high tolerances. We didn't add any distance to our C-C which I think would of been fine in a single motor gearbox since there's some slop in the bearing and shaft that ends up increasing the CC. When the motors surround the gears it ends up over constraining the mesh and causing premature wear. +.001 - +.003 should be fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: