OCCRA
Go to Post Warning: this reply is just an approximation of what I meant to convey - engineers cannot possibly use just written words to express what they are thinking. Raul - Raul [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Ryan_Todd's Avatar
Ryan_Todd Ryan_Todd is offline
ye of little faith
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 122
Ryan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond repute
paper: 120A Main Breaker Thermal Analysis

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

120A Main Breaker Thermal Analysis by Ryan_Todd
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Ryan-Greenblatt Ryan-Greenblatt is offline
A foolish programmer
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Rookie Year: 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 37
Ryan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant futureRyan-Greenblatt has a brilliant future
Re: paper: 120A Main Breaker Thermal Analysis

First of all this paper was extremely helpful in building an accurate (I hope) breaker model (more on this in a sec). Thanks so much.

I think found a minor mistake in your paper, if you look at You'll see that you substituted 8 for C when it should be .08. Thus, your figure for specific heat is off by a factor of 100. 0.002716 degC / Joule is what you reported, .2716 is correct. This error cancels out because the only place you use it is in C*c*t. As C is 100x too high and c is 100x too low they cancel. So is correct. This mattered for me because I was using purely the differential equation with numerical integration and I put in the correct value for C.

Again another minor flaw. I think your math around the benefits of precooling the breaker is slightly flawed. You don't take into account the thermal mass of the surrounding housing which would also be substantially cooled effectively modifying the ambient temperature. Thus, if the housing was cooled and potentially the metal the breaker was attached too, it is possible that the benefits could be slightly higher than you state. Maybe, (based on some napkin math) instead of lasting .4 additional seconds longer it lasts 1.4 additional seconds.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Ryan_Todd's Avatar
Ryan_Todd Ryan_Todd is offline
ye of little faith
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Plymouth, MI
Posts: 122
Ryan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond reputeRyan_Todd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: 120A Main Breaker Thermal Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-Greenblatt View Post
...I think found a minor mistake in your paper, if you look at You'll see that you substituted 8 for C when it should be .08. Thus, your figure for specific heat is off by a factor of 100...
Whoa, good catch!

That was left over from the original calculations, and it had an even bigger impact on the final result than you described. Because the factor-of-100 difference was in an exponent, it threw off everything else completely!

This prompted me to go back and triple-check all my sources and calculations, and I found another issue with my Fahrenheit-to-Kelvin conversion at the start of the paper as well. (d'oh!)

Long story short:
I posted an update (rev.1) with all the latest corrections.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-Greenblatt View Post
...You don't take into account the thermal mass of the surrounding housing which would also be substantially cooled effectively modifying the ambient temperature. Thus, if the housing was cooled and potentially the metal the breaker was attached too, it is possible that the benefits could be slightly higher than you state...
Very true!

My analysis is limited by what information I could glean from the internet, and it would be invaluable to (for example) bring in a proper CAD model and run some finite element (or even CFD) simulations and get some more useful data about the different paths that the heat can take in this system.

If anyone wants to take this analysis further, I'd love to see the result!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 01:40 AM
philso philso is offline
Mentor
FRC #2882 (Nuts n Boltz)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,236
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: 120A Main Breaker Thermal Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-Greenblatt View Post
Again another minor flaw. I think your math around the benefits of precooling the breaker is slightly flawed. You don't take into account the thermal mass of the surrounding housing which would also be substantially cooled effectively modifying the ambient temperature. Thus, if the housing was cooled and potentially the metal the breaker was attached too, it is possible that the benefits could be slightly higher than you state. Maybe, (based on some napkin math) instead of lasting .4 additional seconds longer it lasts 1.4 additional seconds.
This happens with larger breakers for AC applications and it is very likely to happen with this smaller DC breaker. To confirm proper operation, we test using the enclosures for the final product with the maximum ambient temperature. Sometimes, we have to go up one rating to prevent false tripping.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Todd View Post
My analysis is limited by what information I could glean from the internet, and it would be invaluable to (for example) bring in a proper CAD model and run some finite element (or even CFD) simulations and get some more useful data about the different paths that the heat can take in this system.

If anyone wants to take this analysis further, I'd love to see the result!
Have you contacted the manufacturer, Cooper Bussmann, to get their input on how to do such calculations? They have Applications Engineers who are paid to answer questions such as these. For many electrical components, there are different thermal models for continuous operation and for transient operation. They may be able to provide you with such models. Often the models provided by the manufacturers incorporate proprietary data (fudge factors) that they have determined to be important to the accuracy of the models. This data comes from doing a lot of testing and comparing with the models and are not readily available otherwise.

You would also want to ask how much variation in the trip point one can expect to see over different production batches and if there are any other effects on the trip point such as aging. This will determine how close to a calculated trip point you can push your application.

Last edited by philso : 12-07-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi