Go to Post Pizza tastes best after a few long hours of robot building. - Max Lobovsky [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Division by Pirates
FRC #0229 (Division by Zero)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Jay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond repute
The 4 Team Alliance

It's now been 3 seasons with 4 team alliances at the championship, so now is a good time to reflect on the decision that made this happen. Overall this was one of the most popular changes FIRST has ever made to anything at the time.

I think there's definitely some positives, such as being able to have more strategies to pull from and being able to have 3 working robots in any given match. This also eliminates teams waiting to see if they will be pulled as a backup.

However the last two years the alliances I've been on (and others as well) have definitely had some awkwardness with this alliance structure. Being told to sit out is hard for both sides to do, especially when most teams have seniors on their teams down in the playoff pit who want to play in the last matches of their time as a student. I've seen it lead to lots of tough arguments and hurt feelings.

The alliances that seem to have the most success with this are the ones that have a captain who makes it clear to everyone what their role in the alliance is, but unfortunately most captains can't seem to do this effectively.

So overall, what is your thought on the 4 team alliance?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Master of Tactics
AKA: Scott Hasek
FRC #1987

Rookie Year: 2013
New Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to behold
Re: The 4 Team Alliance

I honestly think that 4 team alliances in eliminations should be implemented FRIST wide. While I realize that district events are smaller and so the amount of rotation of the 4th robot into the alliance will probably not be as high because of decreased comparative ability, the strategy decisions that this opens up for regionals and district champs would elevate game play to a new level.

Also by doing this teams will be better able to utilize a 4 alliance team at champs because they already thought about the different ways that these alliance could be formed and potential uses for such robots. Also this would increase the number of teams that would qualify for champs based on an event win, be that a regional or district championship.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST could go back to the old way, and the 4th team could be sitting in the stands or packing up instead of hanging out in a playoff pit and fieldside with a chance at a medal and trophy...or yes, getting into a match if the situation is right.

Yeah it might be rough that a 4th team doesn't get to play more often than not, but they should be proud they made it to the dance at all. They should also understand the alliance captain has zero obligation to play them. Should they still keep their heads in the game and contribute to match strategy and periodically suggest their involvement in a particular match might be beneficial to the alliance? Sure - nothing wrong with that, and their coach can even stand with the rest of the alliance behind the glass and directly contribute. But in the end, the AC's decision is final and should be respected. If a 4th team persists in lobbying for themselves despite the AC's judgment, I don't view the AC being the problem in that situation.

Same thing goes for a team who gets subbed out for the 4th. Perhaps the AC feels the 4th team's robot is better suited for a particular matchup and decides to run with them. Perhaps the AC decides to keep playing the hot hand if the 4th team does well. Whining from the displaced team isn't going to help matters.

As long as everyone views the 4-team alliance as a group of interchangeable parts and not 3 teams plus a "backup robot", and everyone respects the ultimate decisions of the AC, there shouldn't be any problems. And all four teams should be proud to be a part of the process.

On the topic of 4th robots at regionals/districts - I would LOVE to have more choice as an alliance captain on who subs in for a disabled robot. I don't like the rankings dictating which robot I get as a backup. I'd rather run one more round of the draft (same order as the CMP's) to select what would TRULY be a "backup" robot. Keep all other backup substitution rules in place. The 8 selected backup robots would remain in the pits unless called upon. The only drawback to this plan is a bit more time dedicated to alliance selections, and perhaps a longer load-out time as more teams have to hang out waiting for the playoffs to end.

Perhaps a compromise to the "designated backup draft" would be to let teams at districts/regionals select from a pool of 4 or so backup robots instead of automatically assigning the highest-ranked unselected robot as their backup. FIRST makes the top 3 or so unpicked teams hang around anyway, right? Let the AC pick from the backup pool. At least then perhaps they could acquire a robot that better matches the capabilities of the robot being subbed out.

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 05-16-2017 at 01:34 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:22 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
Jamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to allJamie Kalb is a name known to all

Just figured I'd throw this out for the sake of discussion. I don't know if it's still like this, but when I did VEX, in eliminations it was 3-team alliances with 2 robots on the field, with the caveat that every team had to play in each best-of-three set. So you had to choose who to rotate out after the first match. This way no one was left out entirely (although you might only play one match out of three).

2011-13 VEX World Championship...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:25 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kalb View Post
Just figured I'd throw this out for the sake of discussion. I don't know if it's still like this, but when I did VEX, in eliminations it was 3-team alliances with 2 robots on the field, with the caveat that every team had to play in each best-of-three set. So you had to choose who to rotate out after the first match. This way no one was left out entirely (although you might only play one match out of three).
This was based upon 2v2 era of FRC, which had 3 team alliances in the playoffs and required each team to play a match in each set.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:29 PM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
Rangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond reputeRangel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kalb View Post
I think I could get behind this if their was a single championship with only four divisions. The problem with doing this now is that a deep division will already have a huge advantage on Einstein and will be even more powerful with a change like this. The power of a well rounded lower seeded alliance would also be gutted as they get the last pick of fourth robots.
2014-? Mentor

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM
It will be up to the LRI...
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lightning View Post
I honestly think that 4 team alliances in eliminations should be implemented FRIST wide. While I realize that district events are smaller and so the amount of rotation of the 4th robot into the alliance will probably not be as high because of decreased comparative ability, the strategy decisions that this opens up for regionals and district champs would elevate game play to a new level.

Also by doing this teams will be better able to utilize a 4 alliance team at champs because they already thought about the different ways that these alliance could be formed and potential uses for such robots. Also this would increase the number of teams that would qualify for champs based on an event win, be that a regional or district championship.
God no. 24th pick at many district events is painful. I can't even imagine 32nd pick.

Re 4th bots sitting out, I'm with Travis on this one. Would they rather MAYBE be contributing if the situation arises or sitting in the stands done for the season?

I know where I'd rather be.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:34 PM
2 tired brains are better than 1!
AKA: Darrell Holmes IV
FRC #2655 (The Flying Platypi)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2017
Darre_Bonfire is on a distinguished road

In one of the competitions that we were in, we had to sub out one of our partners because they weren't working. The team that got subbed in was ecstatic that they got to play, at least for one last time.

Once the 4th picks roll around at champs, teams should happy just to be picked. I'd rather be picked to lend a hand to a captain whether it be with our robot or through strategy than not to be in the eliminations at all.

So I guess it just depends on the perspective and the attitude of the team, if they want to be sour about being the 4th pick then that's their problem. If we were to have been picked for an alliance at Worlds we would have been happy just to help our captain strategize. The way the system of FIRST works is you have to rely on other teams in order to succeed, and other teams know that. Different perspectives of a game are what make strategy work. So despite what it might seem at first glace, the 4th pick can be vitally important.

"It's always Juan's fault!"
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Division by Pirates
FRC #0229 (Division by Zero)

Rookie Year: 2012
Jay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that I want to point out is some of the backups I've played with and watched all feel in a similar way, that they thought they should've been picked higher and playing. So it creates a bad relationship from the beginning.

Also, while it's nice to think teams should all have a mindset of working for the alliance and be willing to sacrifice for each other, that just simply doesn't happen all the time. Teams aren't always going to play nice and it shouldn't be expected that they will.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:42 PM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #0228 (GUS Robotics); FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's far, far better than the alternative, it allows more teams to participate in the eliminations, and it adds a ton of strategic depth to the Championship. Tossing that all because it's a little awkward sometimes when an alliance partner is being a bad sport? Bad idea. I hope it's here to stay.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM
VP, Control Systems Captain, Coach
AKA: Alan Richman
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2014
arichman1257 will become famous soon enougharichman1257 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
While I think that 4 team alliances are great because allowing an alliance to choose their own 4th robot instead of being given the next highest ranked team leaves fewer things to chance, some small district events are actually too small to do that. Some examples are MAR-Westtown, NC-Pitt County, NC-UNC Asheville, and probably a few others. Israel and North Carolina District Championships were only 32 teams large haha. But it would be cool, I think, if this was a possibility.

1257 Parallel Universe: 2014 - 2017
2017: Vice President, Control Systems Captain, Drive Coach, Founder of Control Systems Helpers, This Guy
2016: Control Systems Captain, Operator. ARC Semifinalist, MRCMP Winner, NJFLA Winner, NJBRI Finalist, Dean's List Semifinalist
2015: Control Systems, Operator. NJNBR Finalist
2014: Programming/Electronics. NJCLI Winner
--------------------------------
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Strategy 'n Stuff
AKA: Nate Johansen
FRC #0074 (Team C.H.A.O.S.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
natejo99 will become famous soon enoughnatejo99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I honestly think that 4 team alliances in eliminations should be implemented FIRST wide.
FTFY

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Since I've been on 74, we've been in a few different positions at CMP events. We've been alliance captains, we've been 4th robot, and we've sat out elims entirely. While it may seem awkward for the whole alliance to have a robot sit out for (sometimes) all of elims, I know I would much rather be on an alliance and not play than be in the top 8 unpicked with the hope of being a backup. The 4-team alliance was a great addition to Champs, and could easily be implemented in all FIRST events. This allows alliances to form good, well rounded alliances, and have a solid contingency plan in case something goes wrong. At the Shepherd District event this year, we had the privilege of competing against the great alliance of 4970, 5162, and 5712 in the finals. After the first match, something went wrong with 5162 (I'm unsure of exactly what it was), and they had to sit out for Finals 2. The alliance chose to compete with 2 robots, because if they were to call in a backup, 5162 would not have been able to return to match play if they were able to fix themselves (which they were). Having 4 robots on an alliance would've allowed for that alliance to swap in their chosen 4th robot, and put 5162 back in when they were ready. It must've been a tough call by the alliance captain to play with only 2 bots in a Finals match, and having a 4 team alliance would've eliminated that tough call.

I know that being a 4th robot on an alliance is hard, but it's still a great opportunity to help out your alliance when you can, even if that means watching matches and helping your alliance to develop a solid strategy, and not playing. It was an honor to be on an alliance with 1885, 229, and 5036 this year, and we were glad to help out where we could.
Thanks to all of our 2017 Alliance Partners: 1747, 4485, 5610, 3572, 910, 6582, 3357, 1481, 1885, 229, 5036

2017-Present - Student, Kettering University

Last edited by natejo99 : 05-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:49 PM
It will be up to the LRI...
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay O'Donnell View Post
One thing that I want to point out is some of the backups I've played with and watched all feel in a similar way, that they thought they should've been picked higher and playing. So it creates a bad relationship from the beginning.
I don't know how to say this nicer so I'm just going to say it and take the red dots.

They weren't. They were picked as a backup, they can play as a backup. If they don't like that they can decline the invitation to play and pack their pit early. This isn't the rules or the AC creating a bad relationship, this is solely on the backup team.

Again, sorry for not knowing how to say it in a nicer way.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM
FRC #2781 (RoboPride)

Rookie Year: 2013
mastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to beholdmastachyra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay O'Donnell View Post

Also, while it's nice to think teams should all have a mindset of working for the alliance and be willing to sacrifice for each other, that just simply doesn't happen all the time. Teams aren't always going to play nice and it shouldn't be expected that they will.
Those teams would likely not be picked in the future then. Problem solved. As the 4th team on an alliance, I'd want to show the great teams that we are fun and easy to work with.
2016: IotaBot - MWR/16th place/QF, R2OC/7th Alliance Captain/QF, Boiler Bot Battle/6th place/Finalist
2017: KappaBot - MWR/23rd place/no PO, CMPMO/Curie/48th place/no PO

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
AKA: Andrew
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2015
afabrizi2817 has a spectacular aura aboutafabrizi2817 has a spectacular aura about

1511 has made it to Einstein two years in a row without playing a single playoff match. While I wish we did get a chance to drive, I'm certainly glad we got picked onto alliances with great teams. In my opinion its much better to be out on the floor than up in the stands. I love 4-team alliances because they are the reason for our appearances on Einstein.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: