OCCRA
Go to Post Innovating for the sake of innovating, reinventing the wheel is probably the second biggest pitfall you can fall into when designing an FRC robot, if the wheel is already a very optimized, good solution. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2006, 01:08 PM
NAwrot (a.k.a. jub jub)
AKA: Mike
FRC #0011 (MORT (Mount Olive Robotics Team))
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
Mike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really niceMike Nawrot is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mike Nawrot
pic: Joystick Mishap

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Bengineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Ben Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond reputeBen Piecuch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Joystick Mishap

Throughout all of our controller redesigns, we've also found that a lighter handle equals a better feel for the driver. The return spring on the KOP joysticks is quite small, and the extra weight of the taller, bulkier handle creates a very floppy feeling.

By making the handle lighter, and shortening it's overall lenght, the "tightness" of the joystick can by adjusted to your liking. Two years ago, we machined short, solid handles from HDPE, and were pretty happy with the results. This year, we switched to hollow PVC handles with HPDE endplugs. These were a bit lighter, and therefore, gave an even better feel for our drivers.

I believe our national champs decided to use screwdrivers as their joystick handles. Doesn't get much easier than that!
Team 296 Operator Interface

BEN
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
John Schreiner a.k.a. Psychoflood
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Student

Psychoflood has a spectacular aura aboutPsychoflood has a spectacular aura aboutPsychoflood has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Psychoflood

hey we actually won that match..
Chesapeake: Regional Champions
Nationals: UNDEFEATED in eliminations, 9-2 total. Semifinalists.

M. ount O. live R. obotics T. eam

MORT Team 11
-Autodesk Inventor Team-

From this point on i'm officially in OVERDRIVE
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
AKA: Evan Crawford
FRC #1334
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
lemoneasy is on a distinguished road

We had something similar happen in Waterloo, we had our button for shooting just pop off, and no one could find it. I just asked for a pen and spent next couple of rounds shooting by pushing down on the pen. It worked, but not really well, and took a lot of force, but what can you do?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
FRC #5507 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

When we were playing with T.R.I.B.E. (237) at the UTC Regional, they dropped their controls about a foot from the ground and one of their CH Flightsticks snapped right off its base.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
no team

Rookie Year: 1234
devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

I'll have to track down a picture of our joysticks.. last practice match at the Vegas regional, the control panel was leaning on the cart, and fell over, snapping both joysticks. After that match, we stuck a couple bolts into the joystick holes, hot glued them in.. worked better then they started.

It's amazing what gets done to stick with the old joysticks
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
AKA: Kayla's big bro...
FRC #1620 (Robolution)
Team Role: Alumni

Rohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Rohan_DHS

just out of curiosity, how do you change the sticks on the KOP joysticks? and what happens to all the buttons? (I don't want to try something without knowing )
2006: Team Captain, Driver, Electrical/Electronics Head
2005: Safety Captain
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:18 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan_DHS
just out of curiosity, how do you change the sticks on the KOP joysticks? and what happens to all the buttons? (I don't want to try something without knowing )
It's pretty simple, remove a couple of screws and the handle comes off. You could chop off the button wires and screw on a new one handle, or, if you need the buttons pick up a couple of momentary switches from RadioShack and just wire them in, depending on your handle it might take some drilling. Evern if you don't want to attempt making a new handle, taking apart a joystick to see how it works isn't a bad idea. (Its all screwed together, and doesn't need much finger yoga)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
AKA: Kayla's big bro...
FRC #1620 (Robolution)
Team Role: Alumni

Rohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Rohan_DHS

Sweet, thanks! I'll try it.
2006: Team Captain, Driver, Electrical/Electronics Head
2005: Safety Captain
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Marra
When we were playing with T.R.I.B.E. (237) at the UTC Regional, they dropped their controls about a foot from the ground and one of their CH Flightsticks snapped right off its base.
I don't think I ever heard that story. LOL Or.. maybe I did. idk.

Anyways, so sad.. too bad it wasn't one of the horrible white joysticks that broke instead.

Flightsticks =

White sticks =

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
Flightsticks =

White sticks =
Flightsticks + top bit of white stick handle (hat, trigger, couple buttons) = ubr-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: