OCCRA
Go to Post At GLR our team only had to deal with a bunch on kids seeing snow for the first time. With all the ensuing snow fights and vainly trying to run up the giant snowy hill behind the arena. - Kevin Sevcik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
  #751   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 ACTUAL game hint!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
no, you don't want that. seriously.

I picked a random video from 2009 from 254's fantastic collection of robot videos on their youTube channel. This is a semi-final elims match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rpgf9jdVNM

Do you have any idea what's happening in that match?

Pinning. Lots of it. Totally legal in 2009. And the robots would clump together trying to pin each other, and the human players would score a lot more than the robots. And that was about it.
I did like the autonomous mode. It was a big mindgame of trying to predict your opponents movements so you could stop them from getting away from your human player.
  #752   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunston94 View Post
I know most of you will think im crazy, but id love a chance to drive on regolith!as i was not part of lunacy!
No, since you have never driven on regolith, I cannot fault you for wanting to. If it isn't in a competition, it can be kind of fun slipping and sliding all over the place.

Once you have tried it, however, then I believe I could consider you crazy for wanting back on the field for a game.
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #753   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
ATA Head Mentor & Alumni
AKA: Joel Gallant
FRC #4334 (ATA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
joelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond reputejoelg236 has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this on the FRC blog post today...

Quote:
we’ve asked AndyMark to put a cap on the number of pieces teams can order. More detail will be available after Kickoff.
Does this mean that there will be an abundant amount of game pieces this year? (ie. lunacy)
  #754   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
AKA: Nathan Hui
FRC #2473 (CHS Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
nathan_hui will become famous soon enoughnathan_hui will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to nathan_hui

Not necessarily, but hopefully. It just means FIRST doesn't want the demand to exceed the supply just yet. They could have a production shortage (at the moment or throughout the entire season), in which case there are big problems. Or they want things to be fair.
  #755   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
That loud guy
AKA: Bar Danino
FRC #2212 (The Spikes)

Rookie Year: 2011
bardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant futurebardd has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg236 View Post
Does this mean that there will be an abundant amount of game pieces this year? (ie. lunacy)
It probably means FIRST wants to make sure the game pieces don't run out in the first 5 minutes (like the talons did, for example) so every team gets to order some.
Team FRC#2212 The Spikes, 2011-...
Builld leader 2013
Drive coach 2012-2013
Mentor 2015-...
  #756   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Many teams rush out to buy a ton of game pieces right after kickoff. These are typically used for pre-season and off-season events... but if enough teams do that right off the bat, it can create a shortage for other teams.

Just look at last year... having 3+ basketballs was great for testing your robot, and there weren't really a ton of them on the field at any given time. But to put on an event, you'd need a ton just to account for wear and tear and replacement.

This decision means that every team should be able to get a couple, and then teams that need a lot for an event can go in and get what they need, if there are enough. If not, they'll be the ones waiting on backorders, not teams that need the game pieces to design around.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #757   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM
AKA: Kevin Thorp
FRC #3489 (Category 5)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellagd View Post
I dont know how, but in a dream Woodie Flowers accidentally showed me a letter titled "FRC 2013 Game: Space Race". Unfortunately I didnt open it as I didnt want to spoil the kickoff for me

Space relating to the curiosity landing?

I dont know how, but I felt COMPELLED to post it!
What do the Curiosity rover and Navy Seals have in common?
  #758   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
FRC #0060

cglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond reputecglrcng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartnet View Post
A few thoughts

1) in regards to this being hint #1. I remember last year they outright gave us a hint saying that the kinect was going to be important to this years game. Maybe not in those words exactly.

2) 4" x 1" x 1" sounds like it could be a smaller kinect?
Probably the memory Pen/Thumb Drive w/ (is it Classmate Image on it?), which was a separate item last year I think too. There have been a number of smaller items over the years that probably arrive too late to get in the tubs but, are provided in the KOP (think I read that or asked a question and received that answer...though it was not an offical answer as it didn't really matter that much to me, we received it). Can you imagine unstacking & opening every one of those stacked plastic tubs to put a box that size in them at the last minute when for every tub someone else handles you can hand them that lil' box, and let them drop it in the tub? My guess; 4"X1"X1"=A Thumb Drive.
  #759   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Team Captain, Driver
FRC #1466 (Webb Robotics)

WeJohnFriedIt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin342 View Post
That would be great. I would like to see pulleys involved, actually. Can you imagine robots hoisting each other?
  #760   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
KB3ZKL
AKA: Griffin
FRC #2590 (Nemesis) #2607 (The Fighting Robovikings)

Rookie Year: 2011
dellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin342 View Post
~snip~
SO I WAS RIGHT!!!!

2017 MAR Championship Winners - Thanks 1807 and 3929!
2017 Festival de Robotique de Montréal Finalists
2016 CMP Carson 2nd Seed
2016 MAR Championship Engineering Excellence Award
2016 MAR Westtown Innovation in Control Award
2016 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Industrial Design Award
2015 Upper Darby District Winners - Thanks 225 and 4460!
2015 Upper Darby District Industrial Design Award
2015 Hatboro-Horsham District Winners - Thanks 2590 and 5407!
2014 Virginia Regional Winners - Thanks so much 384 and 1610, I will never forget that experience!
2014 Virginia Quality Award
2014 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2014 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Gracious Professionalism Award
2013 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2012 MAR Lenape Quality Award
  #761   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
FRC #2537

gabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
no, you don't want that. seriously.

I picked a random video from 2009 from 254's fantastic collection of robot videos on their youTube channel. This is a semi-final elims match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rpgf9jdVNM

Do you have any idea what's happening in that match?

Pinning. Lots of it. Totally legal in 2009. And the robots would clump together trying to pin each other, and the human players would score a lot more than the robots. And that was about it.
Ehhhhh I'd argue that the dumper robots scored more than the human player, but I'm agreed. Lunacy basically turned into a game of tag. Except that if "it" caught you, you were screwed.
  #762   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Programming
FRC #3070 (Team Pronto)

Patrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
I did like the autonomous mode. It was a big mindgame of trying to predict your opponents movements so you could stop them from getting away from your human player.
It was? Our code was just "full speed ahead" from the center starting positions. If we were lucky, the opponent robot had some sophisticated autonomous decision code (or none at all) and we'd just pin them to the wall so our human players could score as many points as possible.
  #763   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
AKA: Aimee
FRC #1735 (Green Reapers)

Rookie Year: 2007
ReapersRule will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ReapersRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post

My team found a great way to solve the problem of opponents knowing what we would do - we had like 6 different autonomous modes (plural was decided to be autonomoose), plus a seventh program that would pick randomly for each match - our opponents didn't know where our robot was going and neither did we!
  #764   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't know, what this says to me is that Andymark may be the only supplier of gamepieces (like they were last year) so they will probably be something unique and custom made for FIRST (tetras!).
  #765   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
AKA: Scooby
no team
Team Role: College Student

Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
I don't know, what this says to me is that Andymark may be the only supplier of gamepieces (like they were last year) so they will probably be something unique and custom made for FIRST (tetras!).
Not necessarily(though I personally think it'll be the case that the gamepiece will be unique). People were able to obtain whatever the ball manufacturer had left of basketballs with their branding(not FIRST branding), and IIRC they were pretty much the same as what you could get from AndyMark(with the same ball-to-ball variations, that is).
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: