OCCRA
Go to Post Surprise! There is no ideal alliance. As soon as you think you have a winning strategy, someone WILL figure out how to beat it. - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Team Captain
AKA: kyle
FRC #0204 (Eastern Robotic Vikings)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2006
krupinski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Implementing Traction Control for an advantage in the 2009 game

I'm not sure who said it but i know some one mentioned before about using an accelerometer to sense drift and turn the wheels perpendicular to the direction of unwanted travel... my team also had a similar idea but threw it out ( for now) due to the fact that this will only make a difference if the deflection of the floor is a [i]relatively[i] significant amount.. We started to reconsider when we found the regolith is over the carpet (or so we've heard) but are still unsure if it will have any useful effect.. if the floor doesn't deflect enough you get the same effect by just locking the wheels, or are we misunderstanding this concept?

Mountain Dew = Success!
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
FRC #2212 (Spikes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
RandomStyuff is a jewel in the roughRandomStyuff is a jewel in the roughRandomStyuff is a jewel in the roughRandomStyuff is a jewel in the rough

If there is a project for trying to implement a common code base for the base of this an ABS-system-like idea, my team has a couple of programmers who would be willing to help... it could really be an interesting project to implement it together in a codebase for everyone
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

Wow, what a thread. Wish I understood what half of it meant, although I did get a chance to learn the first, second, third derivatives of wheel positon are velocity, acceleration, and jerk.

We just started working on this today. We use a potentiometer to measure the rate the wheels are turning. If we see an increase of > 20% in the rate, we reduce the power to the wheels by 20%. Power keeps reducing until the rotational rate gets back below 20%.

May not be absolutely perfect, but we will hopefully get enough of an advantage to beat the teams that don't have traction control.

Unfortunately I think this puts us in the 'tinkerer' category isn't the second first derivative of tinkerer = engineer once you add in the velocity heading towards being able to calculate the results?
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Wrecking nice beaches since 1990
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
MikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond reputeMikeE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisk View Post
Unfortunately I think this puts us in the 'tinkerer' category isn't the second first derivative of tinkerer = engineer once you add in the velocity heading towards being able to calculate the results?
Tinkerer + math => engineer
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2009, 06:07 AM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bongle

We're going with a reverse-ABS route for our first attempt:
-If slippage detected, reduce motor power somewhat, then gradually increase it again

Slippage will be detected by comparing the reported acceleration of our encoders with the reported acceleration from our accelerometer.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

For the Tinkerers out there. Please keep one thing in mind. ABS, ESP, Stability control..... All of these get tuned by very skilled evaluator/engineers. I have a friend who does this work for Bosch. Testing and tuning is not simply tinkering, it is engineering. They do however had a pretty good idea of what their algoritms need to look like and then tune them in.

IKE
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
This is the only field where being a tinkerer will mean that your robot will end up in twenty thousand little itty bitty pieces as it thrashes it around because your tinkering resulted in a system that mathematically would blow up the world (An Texas Instruments engineers words not mine) if it were not for the fact that your robot is powered by a battery.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 01-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Our programmer challenged our 2 year driver to try and beat the traction controlled robot from one side of our field to the other.
The driver lost EVERY time!!

In conclusion, implement it if you can........

2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We use a potentiometer to measure the rate the wheels are turning.
A potentiometer? Not exactly an optimal sensor, look up "encoder" for a better choice
Quote:
first derivative of tinkerer = engineer once you add in the velocity heading towards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
The difference between a Tinkerer and an Engineer is that the Engineer will be able to tell you the results before you start.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Jack-of-all-trades
AKA: Andrew Meyer
FRC #0857 (Superior Roboworks)

agmlego is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to agmlego Send a message via AIM to agmlego Send a message via MSN to agmlego Send a message via Yahoo to agmlego

Our team is looking into implementing an algorithm we found for a four-independent-wheel-drive electric vehicle ETS, using four encoders and a gyroscopic yaw-rate sensor. We will be enhancing it with the accelerometer to detect sideways skid and report to the driver, if not correct it.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
SPAM, the lunchmeat of superheroes!
AKA: Eric Schreffler
FRC #0180 (SPAM)

Rookie Year: 2001
EricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmlego View Post
Our team is looking into implementing an algorithm we found for a four-independent-wheel-drive electric vehicle ETS, using four encoders and a gyroscopic yaw-rate sensor. We will be enhancing it with the accelerometer to detect sideways skid and report to the driver, if not correct it.
Right now Warren B and I are trying to get our arms around Paul's "middle income" solution. But for those of you going for the "super rich" solution, I have found a few interesting places to look:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...ed/Thesis2.pdf

and here's some observer and alpha-beta filter explanations:

http://www.mstarlabs.com/control.html

Check out "rough Data, Smooth signals" and "When One feedback isn't enough"

I expect SPAM'll compete with the "middle income" solution at the Florida regional

cool stuff
Eric
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Jack-of-all-trades
AKA: Andrew Meyer
FRC #0857 (Superior Roboworks)

agmlego is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to agmlego Send a message via AIM to agmlego Send a message via MSN to agmlego Send a message via Yahoo to agmlego

Hey, cool! I will definitely have the guys look in on those.
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note:
We went to implement our accelerometer/encoder solution last night, and it wasn't as good as expected. This was partly because I hadn't totally thought it through and thought that simply comparing accelerations was going to be sufficient. I failed to realize the obvious fact that the encoder acceleration would not STAY above the accelerometer acceleration for long, so it is not a good way of telling when the wheelspin stopped. It was an excellent way of telling when your wheel started spinning, but since you can't easily detect when they stop spinning, the algorithm as I described it is not ideal.

We're going to have to get a bit more complicated, with either an estimated velocity from the accelerometer or a trailing wheel to get this working properly.

Last edited by Bongle : 01-23-2009 at 08:31 AM.
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM
in hibernation
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

You can try integrating the acceleration signal to get velocity, and then comparing velocities to detect slip. The problem is that a noisy accelerometer signal looks even worse once it's integrated. For this and other reasons (one being the simplicity of an apples to apples speed comparison in code), non-driven encoder wheels lead to a better solution to this problem in my opinion.
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:34 AM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abwehr View Post
You can try integrating the acceleration signal to get velocity, and then comparing velocities to detect slip. The problem is that a noisy accelerometer signal looks even worse once it's integrated. For this and other reasons (one being the simplicity of an apples to apples speed comparison in code), non-driven encoder wheels lead to a better solution to this problem in my opinion.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Even with our rolling-average filtering, the accelerometer is ridiculously noisy.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: