OCCRA
Go to Post Our robot will use sensors to collect information about its environment, then discard that information and drive into a wall. - Jared Russell [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about
Hex shafts?

Hello I was recently talking to someone about hex shafts and i was wondering where to get them. I was looking around McMaster and this is what I found. Is this ok to use or are there other hex shafts out there that I should look at that are designed for this.

but a few questions about hex shafts,

Are there any tricks that go into using hex shafts VS key shafts?
Have you had any problems with hex shafts?
What are the benefits of Hex shafts?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hex shafts?

I assume you've already looked at what AndyMark has to offer.
For what specific purpose are you using the hex shafts? If we know more about your problem, we can offer better solutions.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
no team

MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I assume you've already looked at what AndyMark has to offer.
For what specific purpose are you using the hex shafts? If we know more about your problem, we can offer better solutions.
yes I have I was wanting to make a drive that used hex shafts (a 6/8wd) i was going to use this to drive the main wheel but i was looking to drive the corner wheels as well with hex, plus if i wanted to make an arm drive by hex shafts, or a fly wheel.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
is getting his kicks.
AKA: Mark Kramarczyk
FRC #3096 (Highlanders)
Team Role: Mentor

kramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond repute

The primary benefit of hex shafting is that there is no key needed. Which means no key to fall out at an inopportune time and no keyway to cut which saves machining time. It is also an alternative if you don't have the equipment to cut a keyway, like a mill. Yes, you could get shafting with a keyway already in it, but then you need to stop the key from moving too far.

The only difficulties that I have encountered with hex shafting are difficulty with finding mating parts (bearings & hubs), and shaft tolerances. AndyMark has largely solved that first problem for 1/2" & 3/8" shafts. Shaft tolerances can still be a gotcha if you are not paying attention. For example, the shafting you link to is 1/2" +/-.005" which means it's actual size may be anywhere from .495-.505". An AM hex hub (AM-0096) has a hex bore of .501-.505" per the web site. If your hub comes in on the low side and the shaft on the high side it won't fit. (.505" shaft going into a .501" bore) Something with have to give to make that fit. Alternatively, McMaster 6607K43 is also a 1/2" hex, but with a +0 -.008 tolerance for actual size limits of .492-.500" It should always fit in the AM hex hub.

I find it easier to locate mating hex shaft in steel, but the decision between steel and aluminum should really be based upon your load requirements.

Brick walls are for other people. - Randy Pausch

Last edited by kramarczyk : 08-08-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: improved readability
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure you get steel or 7075 aluminum, rather than 6061.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
McMasters doesn't have 7075 they only have 6061 or 2021, im going with the 2021 if we do get it
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramarczyk View Post
The primary benefit of hex shafting is that there is no key needed. ...

AndyMark has largely solved that first problem for 1/2" & 3/8" shafts. Shaft tolerances can still be a gotcha if you are not paying attention. For example, the shafting you link to is 1/2" +/-.005" which means it's actual size may be anywhere from .495-.505". An AM hex hub (AM-0096) has a hex bore of .501-.505" per the web site. If your hub comes in on the low side and the shaft on the high side it won't fit. (.505" shaft going into a .501" bore) Something with have to give to make that fit. Alternatively, McMaster 6607K43 is also a 1/2" hex, but with a +0 -.008 tolerance for actual size limits of .492-.500" It should always fit in the AM hex hub.
As always, Mark has wonderful advice. We have noticed that our aluminum hex shafts are often tight fits into our hex hubs. This is exactly due to the reasons Mark lists above. We have found that the best and easiest way to take 1 or 2 thousandths off of a side is to carefully and evenly use a belt sander on each of the 6 sides of the shaft.

Also, another reason why it is beneficial to use a hex shaft is that the torque load is now distributed across 6 different points of contact (the six corners of the hex shaft) as opposed to the concentrated point of the keyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC9 View Post
McMasters doesn't have 7075 they only have 6061 or 2021, im going with the 2021 if we do get it
We use 2024 and 2021 aluminum for these lightweight applications.

Andy
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I have to second that. We used hex shafts in our 6WD in 2008 (which was the first year we made the switch from keyed shafts after what I believe was a sheared keyway in 2007, same drivetrain), initially made of steel. We brought aluminum replacements to our first competition to try and save a little on weight. I don't know what kind of aluminum we used - Mark, you might know - but we ended up with an axle that had to be sheared off and pounded out of the wheel (if I remember correctly, it got bent during a match).

Every bot is different, but make sure that you know exactly what kind of performance you need from your shafts, including any mishaps that may happen in a match setting. The drivetrain is the one assembly that you can't afford to have knocked out.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): Ramp Riot '18, Brunswick Eruption '18, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16 '18, MAR Hatboro-Horsham B '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17 '18, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

You can run other alloys in lower load spots, but in drive I would recommend 7075. We had no issues in 2010.

Don't buy metal from mcmaster, buy from a real supplier and you can get 7075 hex for very cheap.

We use hex on everything, its so much nicer than keyways.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
BCR Mentor Advisor
AKA: Ken S
FRC #0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
kaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant futurekaliken has a brilliant future

We have typically run 6061 hex on our drive train with fairly little issue. Again as people have mentioned before, understanding the loading is of the up most importance. Our drive shafts are doubly supported (we do not cantilever) which puts the loads well within 6061's range. So bottom line "do the math"

Only issues we have had was a some galling issues between the alum. shaft and the alum. wheel. Usually only occurs when the hex was too tight of a fit to begin with.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought 7075 1/2" hex from Fry Steel for REALLY cheap. We're talking about $18 for a 12 foot piece. They may be able to ship it, call them. I think I recall it being about a thousandth or so oversize. Nothing a little bit of sandpaper and a few minutes couldn't fix.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
You can run other alloys in lower load spots, but in drive I would recommend 7075. We had no issues in 2010.

Don't buy metal from mcmaster, buy from a real supplier and you can get 7075 hex for very cheap.

We use hex on everything, its so much nicer than keyways.
Can you recommend some suppliers for 7075 shafts?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisk View Post
Can you recommend some suppliers for 7075 shafts?
Depending on your area, it may vary.

But we get material donated from Valley Iron and Ryerson here in Fresno, CA. Very friendly people and have pretty good prices.

Coast Aluminum is also another big one that many people use.

-RC
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

We were hesitant at first to try hex but have used AM hex products for two seasons with great results. Even flying over the humps in 2010 we never had a failure.

Once you try hex you'll never go back.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
is getting his kicks.
AKA: Mark Kramarczyk
FRC #3096 (Highlanders)

kramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
We have found that the best and easiest way to take 1 or 2 thousandths off of a side is to carefully and evenly use a belt sander on each of the 6 sides of the shaft.
I have been known to sand them down as well. Be prepared for that shaft to get warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
Also, another reason why it is beneficial to use a hex shaft is that the torque load is now distributed across 6 different points of contact (the six corners of the hex shaft) as opposed to the concentrated point of the keyway.
Thanks Andy, I don't know how I forgot that one. I must have repressed it. For those that haven't experienced it this post should give you the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
I don't know what kind of aluminum we used - Mark, you might know - but we ended up with an axle that had to be sheared off and pounded out of the wheel (if I remember correctly, it got bent during a match).
It was 6061-T6. Let's just say I won the bet on thier survivabilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
The drivetrain is the one assembly that you can't afford to have knocked out.
What are the three most important subsystems on a robot?
Drivetrain, drivetrain & drivetrain.

Brick walls are for other people. - Randy Pausch
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: