Go to Post Don't you know anything about programming? It's a black box; you don't need to know how it works. - Chriszuma [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM
418 alumnus, 696 mentor
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
CarlosGJ is on a distinguished road
paper: 418's Mini-Encabulator

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

418's Mini-Encabulator by CarlosGJ
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Team 2468 Coach/Adviser
AKA: Norman Morgan
FRC #2468 (Team Appreciate)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2008
Coach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: 418's Mini-Encabulator

I am so disappointed to see this posted since you have taken our technology.

Win The Day!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Smooth Operator
AKA: FrankenMentor
None #0418
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Danny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Danny Diaz

Now hold on there, it was given to us (at an extremely high velocity) while attempting to collect money for "Snots for Bots" (hey, robots don't have mucus glands of their own, and they feel bad about that!) - I still have a bruise on my tush from the impact, if you want I can prove it! We even tried to sell the device, but unfortunately everyone thought we were trying to sell overpriced light bulbs instead so nobody wanted to touch it. So we opened it up and peeled off the bubble gum (thanks, Cherry was my favorite) and decided to tinker with it a bit. If you remember the last couple projects you guys had, like the "portable excombobulator", the "hypercartographic depictionator", and the "Ham Sandwich" - we improved on them in such a way that make them easy to understand, easy to find, and tasty (respectively, of course - you guys in South Austin never use enough mustard); we figured we could do the same to this as well. You'll find that the internals look nothing like your original device - we used grape bubblegum chewed TWICE - so that certainly is enough to allow us to claim it as our own.

By the way, we are still accepting donations for our campaign drive. See Bertucci for more information.

-Danny

Last edited by Danny Diaz : 09-20-2011 at 06:45 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
#swerve
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm more confused than usual. Must be game hint season.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused by the wiring diagram. I was under the assumption that a "mini-enCABulator" ran on CANCAB which is faster, and more direct, but considerably more expensive than CANBUS.
My guess is someone is using the SSEP (seinfeld status enhancement protocol) for the message delivery. SSEP uses CANBUS for the majority of the trip, but switches to CANCAB right before exchange of information that way the recipient thinks the message is more important because it uses CANCAB.
It has been my experience that SSEP sounds great in theory, but requires an open CAB near the exchange point. All too often this results in long waits and longer total message delivery times. While the Status is higher, the extended period (and possible tardiness) negate the benefits of the CANBUS/CAB strategy.
Both of these systems suffer schedule issues due to high traffic or adverse environmental conditions. Thus I am hoping FRC someday adopts a more stable system like LightRail (high volume, efficient, and reliable in Europe). I think the added weight of 2-3 rails is worth it for its stability. I heard rumors there might even be an IFI MONORAIL system that only uses one continuous strand of wire for both power and control. Say it with me folks: "MONORAIL" Until MONORAIL, I would be cautious of using the mini-enCABulator.

Now, another controls item I would be interested in is supposedly being worked on not too far from Kettering University. With the minibots, an additional wireless connection is needed, so I heard rumors abothat the Wreless Bridge we use could be replaced with a Wireless Tridge being worked on in mid-michigan. Anyone hear anymore details on the Tridge?

I should warn you folks, I am a an ME, and the above information is my interpretation of what I overheard our programmers talking about. If this information is not 100% correct, you should follow the default advice I have for when anything goes wrong:
Blame the Programmers
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Andrew Lawrence

So for us non-electrical people, can you explain what it does?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
AKA: Scott McMahon
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 2008
s1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond reputes1900ahon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
Stuff. Important stuff.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
If the phrase "modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive diractance" doesn't explain it well enough, I'm pretty sure you don't have the background to understand it at all.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
If the phrase "modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive diractance" doesn't explain it well enough, I'm pretty sure you don't have the background to understand it at all.
That would be me.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Formerly known as PAR_WIG1350
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 2009
DriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond reputeDriftVelocity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I could not have said it better myself.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
That would be me.
Wait - weren't you one of the authors?
I'm so confused. It's like I'm stuck in a purple fog (or something like that).
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
takin my talents to rolling meadows
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If one can't clearly and concisely state the benefit and application of a device to a common person, is it really that useful?

A non-programmer might not know what PID is, but they can tell you it makes arms more controllable. What's this thing do?
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Build Nifty Things
FRC #0971

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

It confuses people, while creating energy from nothingness
Fun side project - Tantrum
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
If one can't clearly and concisely state the benefit and application of a device to a common person, is it really that useful?
Yes. For example: the mini-encabulator.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Wait - weren't you one of the authors?
I'm so confused. It's like I'm stuck in a purple fog (or something like that).
Haze. Purple Haze.

I live it every day.

Jane

P.S. There's no way out... believe me, I've tried.
P.P.S. Just don't ask Danny for any tips on how to drive a robot. We would surely be doomed.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 09-21-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: