OCCRA
Go to Post Once you get to college, remember that FRC is not your life anymore (or at least it doesn't have to be). Don't be afraid to try new things, and branch away from the things you swear by in high school - buildmaster5000 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:00 PM
AKA: Brendan Marshall
FRC #4905 (Andromeda One)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
Bmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Official 2018 FRC Teaser - FIRST POWER UP

Anyone happen to figure out the font used for the game logo yet? Working on some mock ups for something for our team.
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:02 PM
no team
Team Role: College Student

Water Game is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I jumped the gun.
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Programmer
AKA: Sam Fuchs
FRC #0236 (TechnoTicks)
Team Role: Programmer

SamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond repute

Over to the left it looks almost like a diagram of a field element...

2015 - Programming, Electrical
2016 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
2017 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:04 PM
FRC #3695 (Foximus Prime)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
kelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapickett View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/sxOrn
these are the weird lines I am talking about. They are probably nothing but they are worth mentioning.
when is anything in a first teaser nothing

#110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:10 PM
no team
Team Role: CAD

natth4545 has a spectacular aura aboutnatth4545 has a spectacular aura about

Are you ready for the puns? "POWER UP your robots!"
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklas674 View Post
That pixelation reminded me of the TROn pixelation. Maybe another disk game or speeder bikes... Hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt956 View Post
...The girl in the video pulls a translucent plastic tarp that closely resembles a robot bag off the arcade cabinet.
The whole "go into the basement and play an old video game covered with a tarp", even before the digitization, reminded me forcibly of Tron: Legacy. They should have had "Sweet Dreams" playing...

Also, no one's said it that I've noticed so far, but the music in the video sounded distinctly like the Donkey Kong/Mario series to my ear. I really hope we don't have these sounds and songs during the competition - around 1982, a Donkey Kong machine at a science fiction convention was turned up so absurdly loud for the whole weekend that I have never played a Donkey Kong or Mario game. Ever.

The image on the side of the video game cabinet and repeated on the poster that has been called as 2011 LogoMotion (LM11) doesn't really look like LM11 to me, because the ring is elevated about a radius above the polygons, and the rows of pegs in LM11 were about three radii apart. Until I got a good enough look at them to see that the rods extended above the shapes in the poster, I saw a FIRST take on Quidditch hoops. OBTW, I don't really see the rods extending through or above the hoops on the side of the cabinet, so Quidditch is not really out, is it? The game has a noble history going back a couple of centuries, and the games depicted in muggle/nomaj books and movies took place in the 1990s.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Strategy/Scouting Mentor
AKA: Edwin Xu
FRC #4476 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S Robotics)

Edxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant futureEdxu has a brilliant future

The button layout on the cabinet reminds me of Street Fighter...

Umehara Daigo as the keynote speaker at Champs 2018 instead of WILL.I.AM????

2013-2016: Team 610, Student/Strategy Lead
2017-????: Team 4476, Scouting/Strategy Mentor
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:45 PM
Somebody Else
no team

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarshall645 View Post
Anyone happen to figure out the font used for the game logo yet? Working on some mock ups for something for our team.
I mostly looks like a generic "7x5" font, except for the "R". The first font I found with that "R" was the TI Calculator Font -- which has a different "W". I found a few other such fonts, 60's Scoreboard and digit 7x5, but haven't found one which matches both the "W" and the "R" yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelef View Post
when is anything in a first teaser nothing
Mostly.

Edit: found one, I think!

Edit2: NOPE, the "P" is wrong.

I think I found it! http://www.fontsaddict.com/font/07x5-regular.html

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 09-15-2017 at 12:04 AM.
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:07 AM
FRC Alumni, FLL Mentor
no team
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2011
BotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant futureBotDesigner has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerka View Post
would they ever consider using the FTC pieces in the FRC games? it's not too much of a stretch to say that a glyph could be called a pixel for Power Up purposes. We did see the use of wiffle balls used in both games so i wonder if this is a possibility.
This. Last year they had gears all over posters. This year its pixels.

2014 FLL North American Invitational, 1st place Strategy and Innovation Award
2nd place Strategy and Innovation Award
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:11 AM
AKA: Brendan Marshall
FRC #4905 (Andromeda One)
Team Role: Alumni

Bmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of lightBmarshall645 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
I mostly looks like a generic "7x5" font, except for the "R". The first font I found with that "R" was the TI Calculator Font -- which has a different "W". I found a few other such fonts, 60's Scoreboard and digit 7x5, but haven't found one which matches both the "W" and the "R" yet.

Mostly.

Edit: found one, I think!

Edit2: NOPE, the "P" is wrong.

I think I found it! http://www.fontsaddict.com/font/07x5-regular.html
Looks like it! Typed in POWER UP for a test and they look similar on a comparison. Thanks!
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:12 AM
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2017
pKlopp is on a distinguished road
I'm just over here trying to think of a way an American football game piece could be crowbarred in to fit the theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Somebody Else
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarshall645 View Post
Looks like it! Typed in POWER UP for a test and they look similar on a comparison. Thanks!
You'll need to add a shadow to get it to look like the game logo, of course!

#118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:18 AM
FRC #3695 (Foximus Prime)
Team Role: Driver

kelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to allkelef is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKlopp View Post
I'm just over here trying to think of a way an American football game piece could be crowbarred in to fit the theme.
All I can think of is maybe footballs used as something like pac man power pellets? It's quite the stretch and has no basis on the teaser, however.

#119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 12:23 AM
Somebody Else
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKlopp View Post
If you can't think of anything, search "Game Confirmed" on CD (search posts, not threads) for examples of truly bizarre ways to link things together that are entirely unrelated.

#120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Trying my best, I swear.
AKA: Aidan
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics), #4159 (CardinalBotics)

Leap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond reputeLeap has a reputation beyond repute

I only ask for one thing:

When we hit the thirty seconds mark for the endgame, the whistle-blow noise is replace with a sound bite of Terry Crews' "POOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEEEEERRRRR".

Please. Someone make this a reality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: