OCCRA
Go to Post I think that everyone should just take a step back and look at the whole picture, FIRST is a family, not an organization full of regions, we all try to help each other, not 'cause it benefits us, but because it's graciously proffesional. - Mike Schroeder [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > OCCRA > OCCRA Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Programmer
FRC #0245 (Adambots)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
mmkbenbray is on a distinguished road
[OCCRA]: EasyC Text Editor?

Does anyone know how to either

1) Use EasyC to manually edit code files or
2) Access code files for editing in an external application?

We've been trying for quite a while now, and we've managed to open a code editing window (Project > New File > XXX.c) but we cannot find a way to use handwritten code within code generated by EasyC.

Thanks,
- Everyone who is trying to program the Cortex on Team 245
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
VRC #3333
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [OCCRA]: EasyC Text Editor?

What I've found:

-The base functions (Main, Init, OpControl, Auto) must be coded graphically
-Any other functions ("user functions" in easyc language) can be coded graphically or textually, but must be created graphically (but can later be converted to text)
-Any function that does not need to be called in one of the graphical functions can be added to a source file already in the project and called from C code (the only reason you need to create the user function graphically is so the graphical editor knows that the function exists and can call it)...

To me, it seems like easyC is not a good choice for experienced programmers. It is designed from the core to be easy to use, and many functions are simply too abstracted and oversimplified for experienced programmers to work with. RobotC on the other hand...
FRC 33 - The Killer Bees - 2009-2012 Student, 2013-2014 Advisor
VEX IQ 3333 - The Bumble Bees - 2014+ Mentor

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM
FRC #3548 (RoboRavens2)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
marccenter has a spectacular aura aboutmarccenter has a spectacular aura about

Andrew is correct in addressing the "how to program in C text" inside EasyC issue. However, I think you may find that the selection of EasyC programming environment tends to lead you along the path of using the graphical programming language environment that is native to EasyC. I would question, sometimes, why you need to go down this path, other than the desire to just program free form in C. I trust that you are not newbie programmers and have some experience in programming in C with embedded micro controllers. Otherwise the exercise in programming in C text may outweight the benefits. I wish you good success!
FIRST FRC Mentor/Coach - Team 3548 Royal Oak RoboRavens#2 - on Sabbatical 2017 season
marc.center@gmail.com
Mobile: 248-255-7377
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
VRC #3333
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest issue with the easyC graphical environment is that it isn't a good graphical environment.

Having worked with embedded C (for PIC, HCS12 and MCP55xx 16 and 32 bit controllers with various degrees of RTOS included), embedded Simulink (run through Embedded Coder and compiled as C), and RT LabVIEW (for FRC), I personally prefer the Simulink/LV graphical implementation as it represents what it happening much better than easyC does.

With easyC, I can SEE the C code right there, and know exactly what I want to type (full of tricks with typedef enums, defines, bitwise logic and such) and type it really fast, with a bunch of logic and math operations on one line. With easyC, I can SEE the code, but I can't type it, and have to search through the library to find the block I want.

The best embedded environment I ever worked with was the HCS12 embedded ECU. The development library had been extended (internally) to include a basic RTOS, with interrupt-based CAN message handling and pre-emptive scheduling. The best part was, that since it was developed internally, I could pull down the source of the RTOS from SVN and see exactly how the library did something if I questioned how it did something, or if I had a big issue, I could just change it in the library (and if it was REALLY big, I could email the guy who wrote it and ask him about it). The easyC library is very black-box to me, and I don't like the inability to change things. There are many things to me which would be much easier for me to implement in the hardware interrupts (such as encoder speed handling), but I can't because I can't modify the library code.

That said, RobotC isn't a lot better on the black-box issue. I like the environment more, though.
FRC 33 - The Killer Bees - 2009-2012 Student, 2013-2014 Advisor
VEX IQ 3333 - The Bumble Bees - 2014+ Mentor

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: