OCCRA
Go to Post Between reading the Manual, Q&A, Team Updates, the Blog, and Chief Delphi, you can be one of the most valuable members of any team. - Gregor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
FRC #0074

Nameless is an unknown quantity at this point
Interrupt on driver station digital input

Is it possible to attach an interrupt to a digital input on the driver station? I would like to use an encoder as an input device, and I don't believe there is any other way use them than with interrupts. I looked through the WPILib beta 5 code and didn't see anything about driver station interrupts in DriverStation.h/cpp and FRCComm.h.

If this isn't possible, I'm considering using a microprocessor to take in the encoder readings, keep track of the encoder offset, and output that as a PWM signal to the driver station analog input. For example, if the encoder is turned halfway around, the microprocessor would send a 50% PWM to the driver station. Would this work correctly? Also, does the driver station have a power source I could use? (As I understand it, external power is not allowed.)

For the visual people:
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 07:35 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik
Re: Interrupt on driver station digital input

You can't interrupt on the digital inputs on the DS. If you're using a very coarse encoder (4-8 cycles per revolution) you might be able to manage it by simply sampling it every data packet from the DS... If it isn't turned too fast.

That said, if you're only interested in the angular position of the encoder is there any reason you can't use a plain old potentiometer to do this? There's stopless potentiometers if you need it to roll over, or multi-turn ones if you need a couple of turns. Expending all that effort to turn an encoder into just a potentiometer seems a little... excessive.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Is it possible to attach an interrupt to a digital input on the driver station? I would like to use an encoder as an input device, and I don't believe there is any other way use them than with interrupts. I looked through the WPILib beta 5 code and didn't see anything about driver station interrupts in DriverStation.h/cpp and FRCComm.h.

If this isn't possible, I'm considering using a microprocessor to take in the encoder readings, keep track of the encoder offset, and output that as a PWM signal to the driver station analog input. For example, if the encoder is turned halfway around, the microprocessor would send a 50% PWM to the driver station. Would this work correctly? Also, does the driver station have a power source I could use? (As I understand it, external power is not allowed.)

For the visual people:

You would have to put a low pass filter on your PWM signal for the analog input to read it properly. If you post the specific frequency you will be duty cycle modulating, we can help you design the filter. It won't be much more than an RC network or two.

There is a 5V power supply on the DS that you can use, it is set up just like the DSC.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute

I'd transplant the encoder out of a USB joystick into the mechanical controls, while keeping the encoder attached electrically to the original processing hardware.

Last edited by Tom Bottiglieri : 12-03-2008 at 09:53 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone cracked open the Attack 3's? We've drilled them to mount them, but we didn't break them open. Is the "thumb wheel" on the base an encoder, or a potentiometer?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

You can also buy encoders with an analog interface, like the US Digital MA3. http://www.usdigital.com/products/en...ary/shaft/ma3/
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
FRC #1595

willson.thomas is just really nicewillson.thomas is just really nicewillson.thomas is just really nicewillson.thomas is just really nicewillson.thomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

Have we been allowed to create custom processing circuits and attach them to the OI in past years?

Quote:
Portable computing devices
must not be connected to joystick input ports on the Operator Interface.
Where do they draw the line?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
FRC #0074

Nameless is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, my fear was right about the lack of interrupts. Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I didn't know about the 'portable computing devices' rule, and that definitely invalidates my workaround idea.

However, the stopless potentiometers and analog/absolute encoders look interesting. I've heard of stopless potentiometers before... do they come that way, or do they have to be modified to become limitless?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Let the MAYHEM begin!
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)

Rookie Year: 2005
Ken Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
You can also buy encoders with an analog interface, like the US Digital MA3. http://www.usdigital.com/products/en...ary/shaft/ma3/
Our team used the US Digital MA2 and MA3 on the robot each of the past two years with excellent results. They are small, extremely accurate, reliable, durable, and have no "dead spot" like a stopless potentiometer. I would highly recommend these for applications where "continuous rotation" is needed.

That said, I have never used the MA2 or MA3 on a Driver Station, but they should work just fine!
2013 & 2012 North Carolina Regional Winners with teams 435 & 4828 and 1311 & 2642
2011, 2010, 2006 Granite State Regional Winners with teams 175 & 176, 1073 & 1058, and 1276 & 133
Team 1519 Video Gallery - including Chairman's Video, and the infamous "Speed Racer!"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
I agree, whatever you were trying to do with an incremental encoder on the controls side could probably be done with an absolute encoder with an analog output, or probably even a continuous pot.

I imagine the code would be simple enough to just check the value each cycle and compare it to previous to get the "distance traveled".

Big Caveat, It's been forever since I really sat down and programmed.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: