OCCRA
Go to Post The real world does not go together like an Erector set. FIRST robots should not either. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 11:58 AM
FRC #3244 (Granite City Gearheads)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold
VEX 3CIM Ball shifter with WCD add on. Using #35 chain

Our team is about to build our first WCD chassis using the 3 CIM Ball Shifter with WCD addon. On the original BOM [West Coast Products MCC] we used to purchased the parts called out #25 chain but our team decided to up the size to #35. We don't like how frail #25 chain looks specially for a drive train.

Now after dry assembling the gear box my concerned that using this as the center wheel drive that there would not be enough room to output to the other wheels is realized. The question is do we simply make longer standoffs to fit the double #35 chain? Or use #25 chain? How reliable is #25 chain in the drive train.

These are the discoveries that building in the off season is absolutely critical. We are looking for your collective experience to guide our decision.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 12:08 PM
FRC #3647 (Millennium Falcons)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
juju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to all
Re: VEX 3CIM Ball shifter with WCD add on. Using #35 chain

#25 chain is perfectly fine for a drivetrain, as long as you don't put an excessive amount of stress on them, such as powering 2 shafts through a single chain or use large 10" pneumatic wheels. On our team we have run chain-in-tube with #25 chain for the past 2 seasons and have had zero issues with it.

CNC Router and HSMWorks Series
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 12:10 PM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

SpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura aboutSpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapplefamily View Post
Our team is about to build our first WCD chassis using the 3 CIM Ball Shifter with WCD addon. On the original BOM [West Coast Products MCC] we used to purchased the parts called out #25 chain but our team decided to up the size to #35. We don't like how frail #25 chain looks specially for a drive train.

Now after dry assembling the gear box my concerned that using this as the center wheel drive that there would not be enough room to output to the other wheels is realized. The question is do we simply make longer standoffs to fit the double #35 chain? Or use #25 chain? How reliable is #25 chain in the drive train.

These are the discoveries that building in the off season is absolutely critical. We are looking for your collective experience to guide our decision.
We ran into the same problem last season, we simply made the standoffs longer and solved all our problems. However I can say for most all games 25 chain is perfectly fine if not better with weight/size savings. It was a bit annoying to get 35 chain to work with our drivetrain so I would have to recommend 25 chain, but if you want to go with 35 chain it will still work.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM
3D printing, Arm, Alliance Captain
FRC #0330 (The Beach Bots)

troy_dietz is a name known to alltroy_dietz is a name known to alltroy_dietz is a name known to alltroy_dietz is a name known to alltroy_dietz is a name known to alltroy_dietz is a name known to all

We used the VexPro 3CIM ballshifter in 2016 without any issues. Our configuration was 8wd with 8" pneumatic tires, and a climber PTO off the back wheels all with #25 chain and 22t sprockets; I can't think of anything that would put more strain on a drivetrain setup. We had no issues throughout the season, except the occasional tension adjustment.

Last edited by troy_dietz : 08-25-2018 at 09:23 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 01:17 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now after dry assembling the gear box my concerned that using this as the center wheel drive that there would not be enough room to output to the other wheels is realized. The question is do we simply make longer standoffs to fit the double #35 chain? Or use #25 chain?
Both of these solutions work. If I was in your situation I'd opt for the cheaper one. If you do the standoff route, make sure that there is enough room between your two transmissions to allow for the extra standoff length.

#25 chain works fine in a drivetrain as long as you aren't using very large wheels with very small sprockets to power them.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 01:24 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Even better solution: use belt.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 01:40 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But isn't the offseason the perfect time to try #25 and see if it works? If not then you can switch.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 01:44 PM

cpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to beholdcpapplefamily is a splendid one to behold

Belts would or possibly need as much or more room from our perspective. As an off season project space between left and right is whatever we wish there is no constraints. Since we have #35 queued up that will be the answer. Plus looks like all the #25 stuff is out of stock currently. Maybe the our pre-build season order I'll bundle up some #25 parts.

Thanks for your insight. The few responses so far help ease the #25 hesitation with reasonable wheel selection.
Still i know someone out there has had trouble with the #25 stuff. That maybe was Strongholds 8 wheel pneumatic drivetrains.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
But isn't the offseason the perfect time to try #25 and see if it works? If not then you can switch.
My thought too till i just checked availability.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 02:13 PM
FRC #3647 (Millennium Falcons)

Rookie Year: 2016
juju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to alljuju_beans is a name known to all

Quote:
My thought too till i just checked availability.
It looks like the #25 chain is in stock on Vex, and if you don't plan to do chain in tube then you won't be needing the 16T sprokets which are the only ones out of stock. Even then, you could buy the 1/2" ID 16T sprokets and broach them to 1/2" hex. (We accidentally had to do this one year).

Also get yourself a chain breaker, Vexpro sells one here and the one my team uses is the DarkSould chain breaker.

CNC Router and HSMWorks Series
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_beans View Post
It looks like the #25 chain is in stock on Vex, and if you don't plan to do chain in tube then you won't be needing the 16T sprokets which are the only ones out of stock. Even then, you could buy the 1/2" ID 16T sprokets and broach them to 1/2" hex. (We accidentally had to do this one year).

Also get yourself a chain breaker, Vexpro sells one here and the one my team uses is the DarkSould chain breaker.
Thanks I'm one who likes options. The plan will be to watch for the 16T #25 to restock so on tube can remain an option.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 03:21 PM
VEX Robotics
no team (No Team)

Rookie Year: 2005
Jon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jon Jack

Quote:

If you purchased this sometime this year, you should have received this bag which should have spacers for both #25 and #35 chain.

Team 1538 / The Holy Cows, 2005-2016
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jack View Post
If you purchased this sometime this year, you should have received this bag which should have spacers for both #25 and #35 chain.
We just received the order last week. (From West Coast Products) I'm sure there was only one set of stand offs. I'll check tonight.

PS one of the kits had the wrong flanged bearing. It was a 1/2 round not hex like pictured

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jack View Post
Looks like there is some confusion on both ordering sights. When ordering the 217-3269 [3 CIM Ball ball shifter with WCD 3rd stage] yes it comes with the stand offs and plates but not the new WCD hardware kit that includes #35 and #25 standoffs.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2018, 12:54 AM
The guy with the red pants
AKA: Ryan Lounds
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

rlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud ofrlounds has much to be proud of

With some clever positioning/placement, one can use the stock standoffs with #35 chain, or you can buy some Thunderhex, drill it out to clear the bolt and use that solution if you need the extra distance.

#25 is perfectly fine on drivetrains, on 865 in 2017, we never broke a drive chain, if the sprockets are lined up correctly and you're not putting too much stress on it, it will hold up fine. On 1310 this year we used #25 on our drivetrain and had a few breaks due to misaligned sprockets. We sorted that out quickly and have been through 3 events since with no more breakages.

We (both 865 and 1310) also use DarkSoul chain breaks to break and reassemble the chains without a master link, a similar product can be found from Vex here for both #25 and #35, or you can make your own if you have access to a mill and lathe.
2018 Ontario Dean's List Finalist

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: