OCCRA
Go to Post by the way when someone calles me a dork or geek, i tell them to look up dork and geek in the dictionary, and that i would rather be called nerd :) - Mike Schroeder [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2017, 02:30 AM
M.Fawdah Mechanical engineering
AKA: Mohamed
FRC #1946 (Mechka Monster)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2006
yara92 will become famous soon enoughyara92 will become famous soon enough
Speed Flow Control Pneumatic Connector mechanical

Is there any way to find a Speed valve Flow Control Pneumatic Connector that I can control it without using a mechanically.
I mean the speed of the flow
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speed Flow Control Pneumatic Connector mechanical

Such devices exist.

However, they will likely be more expensive than mechanical flow controls, and they're probably not legal for use in FRC if this was your intention.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2017, 02:56 AM
FRC #2976

DaveL is a jewel in the roughDaveL is a jewel in the roughDaveL is a jewel in the roughDaveL is a jewel in the rough

There are mechanical valves that can reduce the speed of the air flow.
I used these to slow down the movement of 2 pneumatic cylinders.
Something like this.
https://www.alliedelec.com/smc-corpo...-07s/70071623/

Dave
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Something like this.

Dave
Thank you
Yes I use them, But I need advice not mechanical valves to control the speed of Flow of the air
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM
AKA: Kevin Thorp
FRC #3489 (Category 5)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Thorp has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're a little confused by your request.

Do you want to control the speed of a pneumatic cylinder electronically?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 03:24 PM
no team (No Team)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2013
Deke is a glorious beacon of lightDeke is a glorious beacon of lightDeke is a glorious beacon of lightDeke is a glorious beacon of lightDeke is a glorious beacon of lightDeke is a glorious beacon of light

What application would you use them for?

If it's to control the speed of a pneumatic cylinder, I doubt it will respond fast enough. Those types of valve are generally used for continuous flow applications.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Something like this.

Dave
Those will only slow the cylinder to a specific speed. It cannot dynamically control the speed of a cylinder.

Something like this ( http://ph.parker.com/us/12051/en/oem...ure-controller ) with a spring return and position detection cylinder (Internal potentiometer) will work ... and you could even dictate how far you want the cylinder to extend.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
Something like this ( http://ph.parker.com/us/12051/en/oem...ure-controller ) with a spring return and position detection cylinder (Internal potentiometer) will work ... and you could even dictate how far you want the cylinder to extend.
I understood that the OP wanted to throttle the speed of the airflow mechanically (with a hand valve), not electronically on the fly. If I'm wrong though, you don't necessarily need a fancy servo valve or electronic regulator. Teams have had success sending a PWM signal to a regular old solenoid valve.

(I just spent 15 minutes unsuccessfully looking for a half remembered 2014 reveal video of a pneumatic catapult shooting from a half-dozen locations on the field, but I can't remember who it was now)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
I understood that the OP wanted to throttle the speed of the airflow mechanically (with a hand valve), not electronically on the fly. If I'm wrong though, you don't necessarily need a fancy servo valve or electronic regulator. Teams have had success sending a PWM signal to a regular old solenoid valve.

(I just spent 15 minutes unsuccessfully looking for a half remembered 2014 reveal video of a pneumatic catapult shooting from a half-dozen locations on the field, but I can't remember who it was now)
I read it as just the opposite, IE not using a mechanical needle valve.

Most PWM generators cannot produce enough current to drive a valve. That being said, your suggestion would work with some lower current valves.

Truly, it depends on the OPs application.

I still like being able to extend a valve to what ever length I want
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thorp View Post
I think we're a little confused by your request.

Do you want to control the speed of a pneumatic cylinder electronically?
Sorry for that confused, I am looking to regulate the speed of Flow of the air electronic controller, if there is.
Not the pressure controler
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 01:36 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see if I can translate properly:

You want to use an electronic (not mechanical) method to control the speed of air flowing past a point in a pneumatic system.

In other words, something like http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2897.htm, but electronic not "turn the screw".

I don't know for sure if something like that exists. If I had to whip something up I'd grab a continuous-rotation servo, attach that to the knob on the linked piece by a method to be determined, and use the servo to adjust the flowrate.

I'm really wondering why you'd need to do that, though...most applications you'd just want to set the speed once.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Mad Scientist
FRC #2040 (DERT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post

You want to use an electronic (not mechanical) method to control the speed of air flowing past a point in a pneumatic system.

In other words, something like http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2897.htm, but electronic not "turn the screw".

I don't know for sure if something like that exists. If I had to whip something up I'd grab a continuous-rotation servo, attach that to the knob on the linked piece by a method to be determined, and use the servo to adjust the flowrate.

I'm really wondering why you'd need to do that, though...most applications you'd just want to set the speed once.
The item I pointed to in my earlier post has a variable size orifice, which acts essentially like a high speed needle valve.

It can be equipped with a downstream bleed orifice or not. Making it either a pressure controller or a flow controller.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post

That's exactly my question

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: