OCCRA
Go to Post Gatting your senior pic with robot = (Cool factor * infinity). :cool: - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute
Help with Wordpress

I'm in the process of revamping my STEMRobotics site to pull it out of 2007 and move it up a decade.

I went to the Philly Workpress Camp across the weekend and learned lots of great stuff.

What I want to create for my STEMRobotics site (VEX EDR and VIQ)
1) Pages that talk about what STEMRobotic is and does. Associated with these pages is blog entries by me about what STEMRobotics is up to.
2) Pages that talk about events. I sort of see a Page for IQ, with links to the 2016 season, 2017 season, 2018 season. Each season would have individual events with the details. Blog posts would be attached at the season level vs the event level to bring them up a level.
3) Pages that talk about a school/club/library and below that child pages about the teams at that school/club/library. I don't know if to put a buffer page so you can look at teams by years.
4) Blogs posts by the school/Club/Library would be at the upper level, but I'ld like to be able to put links into the lower pages (via shortcodes) so the blogs could be read as a season, buy a team or by the host school.
5) The blog posts would require levels of bloggers to be able to post information.
6) Pages with tech information that is cross referenced / searchable across the site. I don't want blog posts here but would be interested in having comments availaible / attached to the tech pages.
7)Lastly, using Woo commerece be able buy componets. But also be able to buy pizza and beverages at the dozen events per year.

If you are a wordpress wiz and can give me direct ways to do some of these things, send me a pnote.

Thanks!
Foster
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2017, 12:05 AM
AKA: Sebastien Cournoyer
FRC #5860 (Full Metal Muskrats)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
Coach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Seb is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help with Wordpress

our page is on wordpress.... blog are the foundation of every pages on there.... very easy to use and setup. that and google drive... and some integration with twitter and facebook...

not perfect, but it works for us!

https://www.algonacrobotics.com/
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2017, 12:27 AM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
FRC #1836 (The MilkenKnights)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant futurejaredhk has a brilliant future

We also use WordPress - our site is far from perfect as well. WordPress is often very slow and can be limiting but its ease of use and flexibility make it worthwhile for many.

Before answering any of your questions, I want to stress the importance of a theme. Find a theme that actually fits your content. This will be much better than trying to heavily customize themes to fit your needs.

Take a look at the difference in content between our robotics team website (milkenknights.com) and our school paper which I also manage (milkenroar.com). Very different content and very different themes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
4) Blogs posts by the school/Club/Library would be at the upper level, but I'ld like to be able to put links into the lower pages (via shortcodes) so the blogs could be read as a season, buy a team or by the host school.
If I understand your question correctly, all you have to do is implement categories or tags. You can tag post content on the sidebar when publishing. WordPress will then automatically create pages for those categories or tags which you just have to create a link to in your menu:
  • Example: mysite.com/category/2017season
  • Example: mysite.com/tag/frc1836
You can also create pages that aggregate multiple tags or categories. The way by which you do this will depend on your theme - some have it built in and others would require plugins.

Quote:
5) The blog posts would require levels of bloggers to be able to post information.
WordPress gives you the following user roles by default: Administrator, Admins, Editors, Authors, Contributors, and Subscribers. At the most basic level, administrators can add/remove admins, admins can add/remove editors, editors can edit posts from others, authors can post but can only edit or delete their own content, contributors can add calendar events, and subscribers are just users with no permissions.

These roles can be customized within WordPress nativity or more advanced with plugins. We have redefined the contributor role as someone who can post but their post must be moderated by someone of a higher level.

More on user roles.

Quote:
7)Lastly, using Woo commerece be able buy componets. But also be able to buy pizza and beverages at the dozen events per year.
I don't have lots of experience with Woo what I've heard mostly good things. However for simplicity, you might just want to use PayPal and embed it in your page. Someone else can probably give you some good info on this.

Views are my own and don't represent my team, school, sponsors, FIRST, or anyone else unless stated.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2017, 05:04 PM
FRC Lead, Chairman's, Imagery, Web
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
EliseCH is an unknown quantity at this point

Our websites are in Wordpress.

explodingbacon.com
firstlikeagirl.com
sparkimagination.org

Let me know what specific questions you have, jaredhk gave some good starting points.

The starting point is whether you are using Wordpress.com or downloading Wordpress and installing it on your own hosting account.

Wordpress.com is hosted by Wordpress and has a limited number of themes and plugins available compared to hosting yourself.

Some hosts include some free themes they trust with their wordpress hosting.

If using wordpress on your own hosted account, https://wordpress.org/ is a great resource!

Do find a theme you like, that is current and has a good rating.
Security is a big issue with wordpress, so starting with a good secure theme is an important starting factor.

There are A LOT of plug-ins for various functionality and security out there. Check their most recent update and ratings on Wordpress.org

It is very easy for the students to update and like said above you can give people limited access if you need to.

If you use forms on the site, you are collecting data and now google is penalizing sites that collect data without an SSL certificate/https. So this may be an additional cost for your site depending on your hosting plan.

There are endless options with wordpress, so feel free to ask me any specific questions.

2018 - Orlando Regional, South Florida & Houston World Championship
2017 - Orlando Regional Chairman's & Bayou Regional Finalist, Houston World Championship Chairman's Finalist
2016 - Rocket City Regional Chairman's
2015 - Georgia Southern Regional Chairman's | Orlando Imagery
2014 - South Florida Engineering Inspiration
2013 - World Championship Kamen Family Imagery Award | South Florida Chairman's and Regional winners
2012 - South Florida Engineering Inspiration | Orlando Imagery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: