OCCRA
Go to Post So we are able to run a very competitive and active robotics program. Sustainability, alas, is a month-to-month issue for us and is dictated by the space situation. This is okay today. Tomorrow could be different. We live like this. - Clem1640 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Robotics Education and Curriculum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 04:38 PM
no team

rgbftc is an unknown quantity at this point
Introduction to Robotics

Hello

I currently work at a high school using PLTW/VEX in the classroom and running five FTC teams using Tetrix and/or Actobotics with Modern Robotics Controllers, etc.

I am going to a new school that has no robotics of any kind and I am looking for suggestions about a good introductory platform for grades 7-12

I like the RobotC programming with the VEX and the easy plug-ins and programming on the VEX cortex. But I am wondering if I should be looking at a different beginner system since I am planning to eventually start an FTC team.

I was thinking I will just invest in the new Modern Robotics GoBilda metal and maybe a REV controller for an FTC team, but I was looking for something a bit more basic for the younger students. The metal is not really the snag, but the programming and controller set ups could be.

VEX again? Boe-Bots? Suggestions?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 05:40 PM
4513 alum
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
FRC #4513 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Introduction to Robotics

I was introduced through FLL/Vex (FLL middle school, Vex beginning of my first FRC Season/engineering class) and it was pretty good. RobotC got me into programming, and though I switched into business for the team i still have an interest in programming that i explore in my free time.

FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Steve Harvey
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
hionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant futurehionwind has a brilliant future

I am a huge fan of VEX. We are using VEX IQ in our Davis Youth Robotics program which is for 4th. through 8th grade. Then we are using VEX EDR for High School robotics classes. We also run an FRC team.

Here are the things I really like about both of the VEX products:

1. Everything is really well made and fits together well.

2. For me, the control systems, motors, sensors, etc. have been very reliable.

3. The RobotC software is now free with the product purchase. It is very intuitive and works extremely well.

4. The VEX IQ and VEX Cortex Video Trainer is outstanding. It allows students to progress through a ton of tutorial videos at their own pace.

5. Tech support is excellent.

2013 Curie Division Champions (with 148 and 862)
2014 Newton Division Champions (with 1114, 1640 and 5136)
2015 World Champions (with 118, 1671 and 5012)
2016 Hopper Division Champions (with 148, 364 and 2990)
2017 Newton Division Champions (with 118, 4188 and 5892)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM
FRC #0868 (TechHOUNDS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
aryker will become famous soon enougharyker will become famous soon enough

I'm going to echo the other responses here and recommend VEX. It's an excellent beginning platform that is easy for beginners to wrap their heads around while still allowing experienced/creative students to achieve some pretty sophisticated things.

I took an electronics class that used Boe-Bots in high school, and I have to say I'm not a huge fan. Boe-Bots are definitely accessible to beginners, but the BASIC-stamp technology is outdated and the platform doesn't support continued experimentation like VEX, FTC, etc.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 02:10 PM
no team

rgbftc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone.

I was looking over the GoBilda stuff from Modern Robotics in St. Louis and I discovered the "Spartan" from them. It looks very similar to the Parallax BoeBot but has the advantage of using Matrix parts and MR sensors so the transition from an intro class over to an FTC team would be even easier. Plus, they have two programing options for their Spartan control module (looks similar to the VEX cortex).

I am still a fan of VEX, though. tricky.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 10:33 PM
FRC #6912

NortheyGentry is an unknown quantity at this point

for all of you that like vex what is the best way you have seen to organize the 6 bot kit for the class room.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: