Go to Post Some High School students understand safety and can follow complex instructions. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 05:45 PM
AKA: Ken Colton
FRC #0527
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
colt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to colt527
Saving a variable in between runs.

Hi, since our senior coder has graduated (=/), I will be taking over the programming for team 527. I know a good deal of C Syntax but I have a few questions about what the chip can and can not do.

First Question:
Can I save variables in between runnings of the robot. For example we are using a gyro for the control code and I want to store the PWM values that make the robot go strait after the gyro calculates this. Is there any way to do this? Maby saving them into the memory as a file or something, idk.

I'll have plenty of more questions later! Thx in advance for the help.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Saving a variable in between runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 527Paranoia
Can I save variables in between runnings of the robot.
Yes, you can.

You need to use the internal EEPROM of the PIC. I found a set of utility functions that claim to make it easy, but they didn't work reliably for me, and I never made the effort to find out why. I eventually "rolled my own" to save a couple of calibration values for position feedback.

Search the forums for "EEPROM" and you'll see what's already been done.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky

There is also another solution for your problem. Place a printf() in your program to output the value of the variable you want to store then hardcore it in and remove the printf(). Unless you are planning to recalculate this value every few runs, or something, this will work for you.

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

There are 2 ways to store data permanently:
1.)Flash memory(AKA: program memory)
2.)EEPROM memory

The first is ridiculously complicated and i'm not going to bother to explain it. EEPROM is relatively simple. EEPROM Is a special 1kilobyte region of memory. It cannot be read or written to through conventional methods. There are special procedures for this (detailed in the PIC datasheet). It must be read/written to one byte at a time. You will need to either devise your own file system to keep track of where you put things or be very careful not to put things in the same place. We have written both a library which has basic read buffer/write buffer functions as well as a basic file system. Neither has been been tested yet but their testing is on our agenda of thigns to do this week. Once we are sure they work i would be more than happy to post the code for the basic read/write. I won't post the file system because its rather specific to our robot, but if you need any help I will be more than happy to give it.

The best resources i have found about writing to the EEPROM are the PIC18F8520 datasheet (available from the microchip website. It assumes you are programming in assembly but still VERY helpful) and the following thread:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=22655&

One thing worth mentioning:
*EEPROM can be read from instantaneously but writing takes time.... Enough time that the robot can easily time out if you try to write too much data at a time. The good thing is that this writing can be handled in the background. You can initiate a write and set up an interrupt to be called when writing is finished.

You know what... screw it.. I will post my untested code. I can't guarentee it works( and it probably doesn't), but i will release a version that does soon.
It can be found here: http://geargrinders.pictar.net/EEPROM.zip

I will explain the basics of how to use it:
*during your initialization or sometime before using my EEPROM library, you
must call EEInit.

*add the following to the end of the function InterruptHandlerLow () in user_routines_fast.c:
HandleEEPROMInterrupts();

*include EEPROM.h in any files that use the EEPROM library.

Other than that, I think the methods are pretty self explanatory. If not just let me know and i will explain them. Look in EEPROM.h for a list of them.

Last edited by Rickertsen2 : 09-12-2004 at 09:35 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
FRC #0527

colt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to beholdcolt527 is a splendid one to behold

Does the EDU bot have the same functionality with using the EEPROM memory?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does the EDU bot have the same functionality with using the EEPROM memory?
Yes. The Microchip PIC is the same in both and that's what's providing the functionality.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Umm Errr...

Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future

There were a few bugs in my original code. If anybody is interested i will post the working version.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Programmer/Electrician
AKA: Jake
FRC #0578 (Blue Lightning)
Team Role: Programmer

pi_guy578 has a spectacular aura aboutpi_guy578 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to pi_guy578

Am I mistaken by saying if you initialize a static variable such as static int inBetween and it will store the varaible into the program, instead of the RAM. That is the ANSI C standard AFAIK, I'm not sure if its different on PIC chips... Can someone clarify?

Jake
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2004, 03:45 PM
FRC #0527

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_guy578
Am I mistaken by saying if you initialize a static variable such as static int inBetween and it will store the varaible into the program, instead of the RAM. That is the ANSI C standard AFAIK, I'm not sure if its different on PIC chips... Can someone clarify?

Jake
Yes this is all well and good if you variable is not going to change in mid run, then use that same value again in the next rounds. This EEPROM is used for people who need to dynamically change variables and use them at a different time.

I'm using it to store p1_x values that a gyro calculated to make it go strait. Then next time I hit forward on the joystick it would start off with the calculated p1_x value instead of default 127. This (hopefully) will eliminate any beggining turning while the gyro is building up error.
kcolton@gmail.com

Last edited by colt527 : 09-15-2004 at 03:49 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Programmer/Electrician

Quote:
Yes this is all well and good if you variable is not going to change in mid run, then use that same value again in the next rounds. This EEPROM is used for people who need to dynamically change variables and use them at a different time.

I'm using it to store p1_x values that a gyro calculated to make it go strait. Then next time I hit forward on the joystick it would start off with the calculated p1_x value instead of default 127. This (hopefully) will eliminate any beggining turning while the gyro is building up error.
As far as I can tell it would make no difference then b/c the program memory is also an EEPROM (or similar, can't remember) except the storing is auto handled instead of doing it manually using the user EEPROM where you can make errors.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Just Itinerant

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_guy578

Jake
There are three basic types of storage available to you on the PIC.

1) "static int x;" uses RAM or data space just as "int x;" does. You can change the value of x from within your program while it's executing (e.g. "x=y+2;"), but the value only lasts as long as the RC is on. All data is lost or returns to initialized values when the RC is turned off or reset.

2) "rom const int x=10;" uses ROM or program space. You cannot change the value of x from within your program as it's running (the compiler will reject "x=y+2;" as an error). The value at program load is permanent and unchanging, only by downloading a new program can x be modified. I believe this is what you were thinking of.

3) EEPROM requires special read/write commands to access as noted above. The value can be changed from within the program while it's running and the latest value is still there after the RC has been turned off or reset. This retention of a changable value is the reason people go to so much trouble to use the EEPROM r/w commands.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 09-15-2004 at 04:41 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Mr. super uber ultra Alex
AKA: Alex
#0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)

Fat Alex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Fat Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
There are 2 ways to store data permanently:
1.)Flash memory(AKA: program memory)
2.)EEPROM memory

The first is ridiculously complicated and i'm not going to bother to explain it.
so... uh, where would i learn how to do that?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Programmer/Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod
"static int x;" uses RAM or data space just as "int x;" does. You can change the value of x from within your program while it's executing (e.g. "x=y+2;"), but the value only lasts as long as the RC is on. All data is lost or returns to initialized values when the RC is turned off or reset.
Whoops, my mistake, a static variable stays initialized between function calls but not neccessarily program runs.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Umm Errr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Alex
so... uh, where would i learn how to do that?
Unless you are writing a bootloader(program to allow the pic to program itself without a programmer), i can't really see why it would ever be a good idea to store anything to flash. The only advantage is that it is big... If you need to store alot of data, I would use an external EEPROM..

*Anything you write to flash will be erased if you upload a new program
*It is difficult to both read and write from
*It can cause VERY odd errors if you are not careful (you are writing to the same space as your program is executing from and if you overlap bad things will happen)
*you can only write blocks of 8 bytes at a time
*you can only erase in blocks of 64 bytes at a time
*Flash memory is only rated for 100,000 write/erase cycles. EEPROM is rated for 1,000,000

If you really have your heart set on it, the datasheet will tell you how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod
2) "rom const int x=10;" uses ROM or program space. You cannot change the value of x from within your program as it's running (the compiler will reject "x=y+2;" as an error). The value at program load is permanent and unchanging, only by downloading a new program can x be modified.
you CAN write to ROM at runtime but its difficult and i wouldnt' advise it.

Last edited by Rickertsen2 : 09-16-2004 at 06:34 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Just Itinerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
you CAN write to ROM at runtime but its difficult and i wouldnt' advise it.
Yes. I'm guilty of posting the "accepted" techniques rather than what is potentially possible. I've done my experimenting with self-modifying code, but I don't believe it has a place on FIRST robots, so I advise against it as well.
The big issue isn't how to do the physical write, but how to avoid clobbering your code while doing so. Your code changes size and placement in memory every time you modify it. Even if you place the bytes to be modified at the high-end of memory there is no self protect mechanism that will prevent the linker from claiming that space for code on some future date. Just wait until you try executing your variables!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: