Go to Post We're still not ready for 2012.... - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM
AKA: Alex Colello
FRC #2141 (Spartonics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2013
Lireal has a spectacular aura aboutLireal has a spectacular aura aboutLireal has a spectacular aura about
Re: Inventor vs. Fusion 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by guniv View Post
We don't, sadly. Hence I think we have to wait for them to approve every single person, as far as I understand.
I just remade my account to check, it took about 10 minutes and I was downloading Fusion. Link to get started quickly is here.

This year I was also the CAD leader, and worked with another student and one of our sponsors to design our robot in Fusion this year. The sharing was incredibly helpful, and the web interface is really good for sharing designs with teammates who don't have an account. Fusion also recently released an update that allows there to be multiple parallel iterations of a project, similar to branches on github, which has a lot of potential as my team grow larger.

The customer support through the forums is also great. During the season a small feature was removed in an update which affected my workflow. I posted a complaint to the forum and within a couple days the feature was patched back in. There are definitely a lot of features such sheet metal design tools that are not currently implemented, but updates come out constantly, and the integration from CAD to CAM is great.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lireal View Post
I just remade my account to check, it took about 10 minutes and I was downloading Fusion. Link to get started quickly is here.
.... There are definitely a lot of features such sheet metal design tools that are not currently implemented, but updates come out constantly, and the integration from CAD to CAM is great.
FYI, sheet metal mode is in closed preview right now!! It should be available publicly soon.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 09:39 AM
FRC #4122

Nikita S. is an unknown quantity at this point

Fusion360 doesn't allow you to create interactive assemblies. You can only mate or joint parts; there are no other types of constraints. It's probably because Fusion is primarily meant for product design.

Fusion does have other useful features, (simulations, rendering, etc.) but it turns out that Inventor has the same things. Inventor also has drawing and presentation features that don't exist in Fusion. In essence, Inventor can do anything Fusion can do... and more.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 03:21 PM
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)

mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita S. View Post
Fusion360 doesn't allow you to create interactive assemblies. You can only mate or joint parts; there are no other types of constraints. It's probably because Fusion is primarily meant for product design.

Fusion does have other useful features, (simulations, rendering, etc.) but it turns out that Inventor has the same things. Inventor also has drawing and presentation features that don't exist in Fusion. In essence, Inventor can do anything Fusion can do... and more.
You can do interactive sliders and rotational stuff, it doesn't have some of the more advanced stuff but what's available is sufficient for FRC.

Inventor doesn't have the primary feature of Fusion, cloud based storage and collaboration. It also doesn't have native Mac Support. Nor does it have native CAM functionality

Realistically for a FRC team Fusion 360 is plenty sufficient for 99% of everything we do. Don't kid yourself, the CAD we do for FRC is simple relative to the use cases these products are designed for. It's not about what software has the most features but how well those features work for your team.

Last edited by mman1506 : 05-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 03:56 PM
On to my 16th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Inventor doesn't have the primary feature of Fusion, cloud based storage and collaboration. It also doesn't have native Mac Support. Nor does it have native CAM functionality
InventorHSM is basically identical to Fusion on the CAM side of things, and while not quite seemlessly integrated like Fusion, Vault can be a superior way to collaborate and do data management in Inventor.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 07:12 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
InventorHSM is basically identical to Fusion on the CAM side of things, and while not quite seamlessly integrated like Fusion, Vault can be a superior way to collaborate and do data management in Inventor.
This.

GrabCAD also has Cloud file management for CAD files if you need collaboration access (there's also Google Drive and Dropbox).
Also, InventorHSM, in my opinion, is far more intuitive to use for CAM than anything Fusion360 offers.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 08:50 AM
CAD, Design & Graphics Support
AKA: Team supporter and enthusiast
FRC #0133 (BERT 133)

Rookie Year: 2009
TedG will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Inventor vs. Fusion 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
You can do interactive sliders and rotational stuff, it doesn't have some of the more advanced stuff but what's available is sufficient for FRC.

Realistically for a FRC team Fusion 360 is plenty sufficient for 99% of everything we do. Don't kid yourself, the CAD we do for FRC is simple relative to the use cases these products are designed for. It's not about what software has the most features but how well those features work for your team.
Just looking into Fusion 360, so what I'm seeing and what is written above is that you can't model parts separately and assemble them in an assembly file like you can in Inventor?

All I can find on the subject is that you create parts and assemble them in the same file with the limited constraints they give you?

Can anyone verify this and provide more info on the subject?

Thanks.
We don't expect to use it during build season but are going to have a small training session on what this can and can't do.

2010 - GSR: Excellence in Website Design
2011 - GSR: Motorola Quality Award
2012 - Mainely Spirit: Spirit Award, Human Player Award- GSR: Gracious Professionalism Award, Quarterfinalist- Beantown Blitz: Finalist
2013 - Mainely Spirit: Sportsmanship Award- GSR: Semifinalist, Woodie Flowers Award- PTR: Semifinalist- Beantown Blitz: Semifinalist
2014 - GSD: Spirit Award, 5th seed, Semi Finalists- PTD: 2nd seed, Finalists
2015 - Safety Animation 1st Place Award, PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 8th seed, Finalists, UNHD: Spirit Award, 9th seed, 6th seed Finalists Alliance Captain; Event Winner
2016 - NSD: Industrial Design Award, 3rd seed, Semifinalist- PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 2nd seed, Event Winner, Championship; Carver Finalists

Opinions expressed here are mine alone, and not necessarily of the team.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Just looking into Fusion 360, so what I'm seeing and what is written above is that you can't model parts separately and assemble them in an assembly file like you can in Inventor?

All I can find on the subject is that you create parts and assemble them in the same file with the limited constraints they give you?

Thanks.
We don't expect to use it during build season but are going to have a small training session on what this can and can't do.
I think you can make assemblies with multiple files or at least import files into a single file (though I haven't checked in a while), the bigger limitation is the lack of constraint options, IMO.

Last edited by cbale2000 : 07-10-2017 at 09:02 AM.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:20 PM
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post

Thanks.
You definitely can. Fusion 360 doesn't have a part and assembly mode, just one modelling mode. Standard practice is to make models of all the parts and then import them into one large blank file like you would an assembly. I think it's shortsighted to say the joint system is more limited than solidworks, in reality it's a different system with different options but in the end you'll still be able to get whatever you need done. In the last couple weeks or so they even added more joint options and joint based motion studies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: