Go to Post Given a choice between giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish, you always want to teach them to fish. But sometimes that involves showing him how to put the worm on the hook first. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
FRC #3161 (Tronic Titans)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
Paul3161 will become famous soon enoughPaul3161 will become famous soon enough
pic: Swerve Drive Pod 2

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
AKA: JJ Mase
FRC #1661 (Griffitrons)
Team Role: Driver

Jjmase123 is on a distinguished road
Re: pic: Swerve Drive Pod 2

I really like the design - especially the cutouts in the metal - but I see two issues.

Firstly, this setup would use 12 PDP Slots. If you're fine running your robot with only 4 slots left then props to you - I surely wouldn't be.

Second, the encoder positioning looks a little worrisome. I'm sure the modules will most likely be protected by the bumpers and chassis, but I'd still be worried about something banging up the encoder, especially if you fully rely on the encoder for your software to work correctly.

But props to you for designing this. It takes quite the skill.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks familiar (but more sturdy)...

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45177
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmase123 View Post
I really like the design - especially the cutouts in the metal - but I see two issues.

Firstly, this setup would use 12 PDP Slots. If you're fine running your robot with only 4 slots left then props to you - I surely wouldn't be.

Second, the encoder positioning looks a little worrisome. I'm sure the modules will most likely be protected by the bumpers and chassis, but I'd still be worried about something banging up the encoder, especially if you fully rely on the encoder for your software to work correctly.

I agree with JJ that the pros of 2 775's per module may not be worth it, unless you only use 3 pods per robot. (See 5817 2017) The encoder and pinions/gears seem a little exposed for my liking , but it shouldn't be hard to make a cover for both either with 3d printing or polycarb if you hit problems down the road.

The design looks really cool, but if you can find a way to make this dead axle the pods will get stronger around that point where you have hex shaft right now. Maybe using a versawheel and bearing bore sprockets would do the trick, but it seems pretty strong already so that may not be necessary.

While good code can avoid motor wires getting messed up by limiting rotation etc, if you do actually go and make this be sure to use some harnessing so your encoder wires can be bunched togegher with the motor wires.

All in all, great design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM
AKA: JJ Mase
FRC #1661 (Griffitrons)
Team Role: Driver

Jjmase123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedav000 View Post
Looks familiar (but more sturdy)...

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/45177
Indeed. Looks very similar.

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=145045
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Ari423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For pretty much every game in the past 5 years (since I've been doing FRC), you can have a decent robot with a solid drive train plus 4 motors and pneumatics. It might not be able to do everything, but with a good driver I'm convinced it could perform at a mid-to-high level.

2012: 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), 2 for indexer, 1 for flywheel, pneumatic bridge tipper
2013: passive human feeder intake, 1 for indexer, 2 for flywheel, 1 for climber
2014 (easy): 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), pneumatic catapult
2015 (easy, but stupid): passive human feeder intake, pneumatic tote elevator, 1 for step pusher (3 for ballast)
2016: 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), 1 for "utility arm", 1 for flywheel, 1 for climber
2017: 2 for floor intake (1 for roller, 1 to deploy), 1 for climber (1 for ballast)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks JJ

Yes I agree 12 PDP slots is a lot, but keep in mind that I am not designing this to do anything other than drive. My team does not have the budget to build something like this nor the time, so I decided to CAD this for fun, and so I can learn more during the off season.

If I was building this for a regular season, I would look at changing the motors to something like cims or mini cims, so I don't take up as many PDP slots.

Now regarding the encoder, yes I agree, I would like to protect the encoder a little bit more. I am looking into making the encoder sit on the inside of the pod, and make it super compact. Let me know if you have any other ideas for the mounting of the encoder.

Paulius Pace
Team 3161
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower

marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post
For pretty much every game in the past 5 years (since I've been doing FRC), you can have a decent robot with a solid drive train plus 4 motors and pneumatics. It might not be able to do everything, but with a good driver I'm convinced it could perform at a mid-to-high level.

2012: 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), 2 for indexer, 1 for flywheel, pneumatic bridge tipper
2013: passive human feeder intake, 1 for indexer, 2 for flywheel, 1 for climber
2014 (easy): 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), pneumatic catapult
2015 (easy, but stupid): passive human feeder intake, pneumatic tote elevator, 1 for step pusher (3 for ballast)
2016: 1 for intake (pneumatics to deploy), 1 for "utility arm", 1 for flywheel, 1 for climber
2017: 2 for floor intake (1 for roller, 1 to deploy), 1 for climber (1 for ballast)
Limiting yourself to fewer remaining robot for simplicity sake- probably a good idea. Using less cause you physically can't use more motors is a tough design constraint to work around.

You could also easily go over 4 motors for most of the games you listed with a fairly simple robot.

2013: 1 intake roller, 1/2 intake arm, two on a shooter (either to adjust angle, more on the shooter wheel, or as a kicker), plus if you wanted to climb above level one

2014: pretty easy there

2015: 2 for intake, 2 for elevator, 2 for can grabber

2016: 2 for flywheel/catapult, 1/2 for intake arm, 1 for intake roller, 2 for climber, 1 for defense manipulator, plus another to feed the ball depending on rest of design

2017: 1 for gear intake rollers, 1 for intake arm, 2 for climber I guess makes four, but not if you want to do any shooting.

Some of these might be a bit of a stretch, but the point is, while 4 motors is feasble its not a longshot for a design that works best to need more motors. I'd hate to pick a prototype that doesnt work as well because I am limited to 4 motors. This isn't FLL where you can easily make crazy attatchments and stuff, and 4 motors is a big limit to lots of potential designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower

This changes things... I'll shut up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul3161 View Post
Thanks JJ

Yes I agree 12 PDP slots is a lot, but keep in mind that I am not designing this to do anything other than drive. My team does not have the budget to build something like this nor the time, so I decided to CAD this for fun, and so I can learn more during the off season.

If I was building this for a regular season, I would look at changing the motors to something like cims or mini cims, so I don't take up as many PDP slots.

Now regarding the encoder, yes I agree, I would like to protect the encoder a little bit more. I am looking into making the encoder sit on the inside of the pod, and make it super compact. Let me know if you have any other ideas for the mounting of the encoder.

Paulius Pace
Team 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
Ari423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Limiting yourself to fewer remaining robot for simplicity sake- probably a good idea. Using less cause you physically can't use more motors is a tough design constraint to work around.

You could also easily go over 4 motors for most of the games you listed with a fairly simple robot.

2013: 1 intake roller, 1/2 intake arm, two on a shooter (either to adjust angle, more on the shooter wheel, or as a kicker), plus if you wanted to climb above level one

2014: pretty easy there

2015: 2 for intake, 2 for elevator, 2 for can grabber

2016: 2 for flywheel/catapult, 1/2 for intake arm, 1 for intake roller, 2 for climber, 1 for defense manipulator, plus another to feed the ball depending on rest of design

2017: 1 for gear intake rollers, 1 for intake arm, 2 for climber I guess makes four, but not if you want to do any shooting.

Some of these might be a bit of a stretch, but the point is, while 4 motors is feasble its not a longshot for a design that works best to need more motors. I'd hate to pick a prototype that doesnt work as well because I am limited to 4 motors. This isn't FLL where you can easily make crazy attatchments and stuff, and 4 motors is a big limit to lots of potential designs.
Oh I definitely agree. This would be a design choice that I think could only be done well by a select few teams. I'm definitely not saying that it's hard to use more than 4 motors (in fact it's pretty easy). I was simply saying that if you have a super strong drive base, it is possible to have a decent robot in the past 5 years with only 4 motors for manipulators.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Also 299 mentor
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics and Valkyrie Robotics)

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting design choices you have here. For the style of swerve module you've made, this is a really good design.
That being said, I do wonder a few things:
1. How would this module be supported? If it's just by the hex shaft up top, you may need to rethink the way you're doing bearings.
2. Is that 20fps free speed or adjusted? Either way, going to 18fps or so will serve you well, even with 8 775s.
3. I like the slotted sideplate design for the plate up top, but how would those slots be made? Most manufacturing processes for these things have a radius of cut. Also, consider using a "jesus nut" for securing it, rather than relying on the tolerances of the standoffs.
Overall, a pretty modern take on a classic design. I personally prefer coaxial setups, but I could see myself using this if I had to in a number of ways.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Interesting design choices you have here. For the style of swerve module you've made, this is a really good design.
1. How would this module be supported? If it's just by the hex shaft up top, you may need to rethink the way you're doing bearings.
2. Is that 20fps free speed or adjusted? Either way, going to 18fps or so will serve you well, even with 8 775s.
3. I like the slotted sideplate design for the plate up top, but how would those slots be made? Most manufacturing processes for these things have a radius of cut. Also, consider using a "jesus nut" for securing it, rather than relying on the tolerances of the standoffs.
Overall, a pretty modern take on a classic design. I personally prefer coaxial setups, but I could see myself using this if I had to in a number of ways.
Thank you asid!

1. yes i was planning on using a hex shaft that goes through the chassis and would have a belt pulley system to rotate the pod.

2. it is 20.22 ft/s adjusted (a 12 tooth press fitted onto the motor, meshed with a 100 tooth, which has a 16 tooth sprocket driving a 22 tooth sprocket.)

3. This was designed to be used on a waterjet. I have personally used slotted plates before and its super easy to implement and super robust at the same time. Its nice alternative to sheet metal bending, and allows you to build some pretty neat things out of 1/4" and 1/8" sheet metal. My team has been able to use this method with wood as well. We are looking into building a lot more of our robot out of wood next year because our school has a nice wood shop but no machine shop.

Paulius Pace
Team 3161
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM
"Goofy Jason"
AKA: Jason
FRC #4272 (Mavericks Boiler Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

aJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud ofaJASONt_angles has much to be proud of

Had this idea recently (possibly in the shower)

I was going to use gears for the final stage but the sprocket makes the spacing much more manageable...

Good work! Have you thought about doing 2, 2" wheels? Could be even tinier and allow for a less aggressive reduction.
Ri3D Team Indiana (2016 - 2017)
Media Team - Indiana FIRST (2014 - ...)

"Keep Comm and Carry On"
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aJASONt_angles View Post
Had this idea recently (possibly in the shower)

I was going to use gears for the final stage but the sprocket makes the spacing much more manageable...

Good work! Have you thought about doing 2, 2" wheels? Could be even tinier and allow for a less aggressive reduction.
Thanks AJ

I used sprockets because I do not like the idea of having the final stage being gears cause they are more likely to sheer. At first I was going to use belts and pulleys, but there were no belts that would contain the pod to the size I wanted.

I have not thought about 2" wheels. Vex pro has 2.5" wheels that I recently looked at. If I was doing this again, I would consider it.

Paulius Pace
Team 3161
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Would changing the ft/s to 18 really make a significant difference?

Also what do you mean by "jesus nut"?

Paulius Pace
Team 3161

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: