Go to Post You don't see teams plastering the arena with signs saying "Show your spirit!" or "Be creative in your robot design!" or "Be sure to be innovative in your control!" - Mr. Van [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2018, 06:22 PM
AKA: Zach G.
FRC #4944 (The Hi Fives)

Rookie Year: 2017
Zguptill is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Concerned Parent, 10 days to Chairman's submission

Hi,
The Chairmans Award is indeed a bug deal that takes alot of work if you wish to change alot. As many people have said, it is most likely best to update last years info at this point, (with only 10 days left), And if you come up with good ideas along the way, you can always write them down for next year.

I hope this helps,
Zach G
FRC Team 4944 awards lead.

And if you have any questions feel free to email my team at thehifives@gmail.com and we are more than happy to help. (Just make sure to put chairmans help in the subject so it comes to me and not just bypassed to spam)
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM
TheGreatGonzo
AKA: George Gonzo
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MasterMentor has a spectacular aura aboutMasterMentor has a spectacular aura about

I know this might be a non-popular opinion, but if the Chairman's Award submission process hasn't started yet, you might stand back and ask yourself some simple questions:

(1) Have what you done the past season gone "above and beyond" your previous season's accomplishments?

(2) Do you feel like there's something you've done that clearly separates you from the rest of the teams where you're competing?

(3) Do you have everything else done (Entrepreneurship Award materials, Scouting materials, Woodie Flowers Essays, etc...) that you can possibly do?

Unless you can say an emphatic "yes" to all three questions, this might be the season where you don't submit for Chairman's. I remember the advice I got at an event where Glenn Lee was at where he said 359 only submitted for Chairman's when they felt they had an absolute fighting chance to win Chairman's.

Think about it!
-George
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

The hardest part about the chairman's essays the coherent communication of what the team has done. I would suggest the student learn the team history going back as far as anyone can remember, taking many notes along the way. For the essays themselves, themes are ok but gimmicks probably aren't. The essays should almost write themselves, even if there are only a few sentences.

If there is anything that the team has not considered, use those as a premise for future plans. Discuss those plans with the team, and put those in the essays as well.

After that there should be a round or two or twelve of proofreading.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Mentor
FRC #5938 (Razor Steel Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2016
Greg Hainsworth is on a distinguished road

Most teams plan all year with an eye toward submitting for chairman's. It isn't something you decide to do 2 weeks before the deadline and not something I would hand to a rookie member who is new to the team and unfamiliar with Chairman's.

As others have pointed out - Chairman's submissions are not required by FIRST. You may want to find out what the motivation is by the team for submitting for chairman's. Is there a grant requirement that the team needs to fulfill? (NASA grants require a Chairman submission)

The other suggestion about looking at past submissions is very good. The format doesn't change much and then it's just a matter of updating activities of the team over the past year. Two weeks may be sufficient to accomplish this but a new member needs support from someone who has been around a little longer that can provide this information.

Only the essay is due by the deadline. The video is handed in at the competition on a jump drive. Focus on the essay.

Good Luck.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 01:52 PM
FLL #18258

girmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMentor View Post
Unless you can say an emphatic "yes" to all three questions, this might be the season where you don't submit for Chairman's. I remember the advice I got at an event where Glenn Lee was at where he said 359 only submitted for Chairman's when they felt they had an absolute fighting chance to win Chairman's.

Think about it!
-George
George,

Thanks for standing up for the dissenting opinion. We will carefully consider that.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM
FRC #4911

daswulfkralle is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion, I would always prepare the submission using the resources provided in this thread. If it is not finished on time, or too rushed to get to submission time, simply don't submit. But I would always advocate to have a complete, revised, proud essay and summaries every year. If nothing else, they will help for the following year, and will help the team understand their impact on the community.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
no team (British Columbia FRC teams)

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

There are good reasons to submit a Chairman's Award Presentation even when you know there are teams that have done more in the offseason and are more deserving of the title.

First of all, preparing for CA is no different from preparing for any major project presentation, thesis defence or other big-deal-dog-and-pony-show. Robots aren't the only skill to be gained through FRC, and the chance to present to a sympathetic panel of judges who can offer you meaningful feedback is a great way to prepare for future presentations.

Secondly, just because you might not be in a position to win CA this year, doesn't mean that the work you do this year is for naught. It gets passed on to the team year after year and can be part of the foundation for a stronger CA presentation in future years.

Third, just because another team may have done more than you doesn't mean that your team's accomplishments are not worth documenting and celebrating. You rarely hear a scientist state, "Nah. It's not going to win a Nobel, so I'm not going to bother writing it up." A team should work towards a CA because it is a good thing to do, rather than because it is a cool award to win.

Finally... and somewhat more practical than those altruistic suggestions... judges talk to each other. An RCA presentation buys you five additional minutes of judge time to talk about the cool stuff your team has done. There is a very good chance the RCA judges will be in the same room as all the other judges when awards are being discussed, and they are welcome to add in, "Did you ask team xxxx about their yyyyyy? Because when they talked about it in their presentation it sounded really cool."

It sounds like your daughter is in an ideal position to gain some experience, lead a significant team and build towards future team opportunities. The pressure is off... being given this task with ten days to go means that there is very little expectation of actually winning the award this year. (Not so much because of the timeline to prepare, but because teams who win RCA have been thinking about it and building towards it for the past couple years.) There is value in preparing a professional presentation that goes beyond a nice shiny trophy and a chance to advance to Championships. This is an opportunity... not to win, but to learn and grow... seize it!

Jason

P.S. This advice is based on my experience as a mentor, where we never lost the RCA. Well, we never won it, either, but I never felt like we had lost when there were clearly teams more deserving than us any more than I felt like we had "lost" if we failed to win the Championship. (I will say, however, we won at least one FRC award every year we made a CA presentation... and at least once I'm pretty sure the award had a link to our presentation.) It is also based on my more recent experience as an RCA judge. We were always happy to hear a well prepared presentation from a team that had done interesting and valuable work in the off-season. It was a particular joy for me to see a team that gave a well-intentioned but weak presentation one year, come back to win the award two years later. What was truly delightful was the joy on the face of the young woman who had led their CA team for three years when her team's sustained efforts in the off season and in their community were finally formally recognized. Your daughter may have a journey ahead of her... or be setting the direction for someone to follow.

Last edited by dtengineering : 02-02-2018 at 03:04 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 04:28 PM
AKA: Ella
FRC #1676 (The Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: Communications

Rookie Year: 2015
ellahof is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Concerned Parent, 10 days to Chairman's submission

Advice from Team 1676: Start by making a list of your achievements your team is most proud of along with your goals/how you are going to continue these projects in the future. Submissions are definitely a team effort, so any help you can get will help. I suggest reaching out to another team who has a strong awards program, or reading past award-winning essays that can be found online. If you need any help, please feel to reach out to me. My email is hofsteel@pascack.org and I am the Management, Outreach, and Design Division Co-leader for the Pascack Pi-oneers. I assist writing award submissions as well as making our Chairman's video, and our team would be happy to help. Good luck!

Refer to this: https://www.firstinspires.org/resour...ward-resources
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
FRC #2512

Rookie Year: 2011
Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMentor View Post
I know this might be a non-popular opinion, but if the Chairman's Award submission process hasn't started yet, you might stand back and ask yourself some simple questions:

(1) Have what you done the past season gone "above and beyond" your previous season's accomplishments?

(2) Do you feel like there's something you've done that clearly separates you from the rest of the teams where you're competing?

(3) Do you have everything else done (Entrepreneurship Award materials, Scouting materials, Woodie Flowers Essays, etc...) that you can possibly do?

Think about it!
-George
Our team is already preparing for 2019's Chairman submission. We started working on 2018's in earnest last September.

The team that Girmann's daughter is on will not win Chairman's this year, that's pretty much a given. But it could be a great experience to go through the actual process of submitting an essay and executive summary, preparing a presentation and binder. I'd skip the video this year.

If they don't have a first presentation, they have nothing to iterate on for next year. If she goes into it taking it seriously and as a learning experience she will be well prepared for next year.
2015 MNDU2, ILPE, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, MRI, Mini Minnie
2014 MNDU2, ILCH, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, Mini Minnie
2013 MNDU, CMP, Mini Minnie
2012 MNDU
Scorekeeper, Practice Field, UL Safety Advisor, Queuing, Field Supervisor
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2012
Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Yes, they've submitted before and those docs were reviewed yesterday. The thing is that They have been running a couple of programs for years that have been getting better. But they've presented it previous years and so the judges think they know what team is presenting (but it's really quite different). So they were hoping to do something a little different this year.
The judges aren't the same year to year, so you can rely heavily on the previous year's submittal. Given the late date, don't try to do too much to get it updated for this year. However, once build season is over, your team should assemble a group to develop a plan for next year. The teams that win the award start at the beginning of the school year or even earlier.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM
no team

kwmitc is an unknown quantity at this point

The most important thing for your child to understand, what has the team done to be worthy of receiving the chairman's award? The most flawlessly written essay and professionally produced video cannot overcome the lack of tangible actions that the team has done to deserve chairman's recognition. These actions need to be clearly and efficiently communicated during the interview. Looking good on paper is easy compared to being able to back those words up in real life and with a short time limit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: