OCCRA
Go to Post If my counts are correct, during the official matches 141,077 points were scored, and a minimum of 28,746 frisbees were successfully shot into goals. All without a single decapitation, severed limb, or even one porpoise becoming accidentally entangled in the nets. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM
The Lone Programmer
FRC #3036 (DROBA Warriors)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
Taggerun has a spectacular aura aboutTaggerun has a spectacular aura about
Meltdown and Spectre

I am sure all of you have heard about the recently discovered processor flaws: Meltdown and Spectre. If you have not heard hear is an article about them:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245...ts-pc-mac.html
I would request that all of you who own a PC or Mac that you go to your product support (so dell computers go to the dell support page) and check for a release on a patch for your processor.
The best I can offer,
Taggerun
P.S. The PC World article has some great laces to look for product support.

"It's taking longer than expected, which was to be expected."

I am proud that my team is a part of the Northern Minnesota Robotics Conference!!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meltdown and Spectre

There are patches already available for Linux, Microsoft is releasing a patch next Tuesday with the regular monthly Patch Tuesday updates.

I've not heard yet on Apple, but they're working on a patch too.

This (Spectre) isn't an OS bug, it's a processor architecture bug that can be mitigated through the OS, so it affects EVERY system that has a processor that can do speculative execution. That's Intel, AMD, ARM, pretty much every processor that's been built the past 20 years. That includes your router and your phone. It's icky.
Great Northern Regional
Central Illinois Regional
Minnesota North Star Regional
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Frisk View Post
I've not heard yet on Apple, but they're working on a patch too.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/04...ability-fixes/
Quote:
Apple has already released mitigations in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2 to help defend against Meltdown. Apple Watch is not affected by Meltdown. In the coming days we plan to release mitigations in Safari to help defend against Spectre. We continue to develop and test further mitigations for these issues and will release them in upcoming updates of iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Engineer/Mentor
AKA: Derek
FRC #1708 (Amp'd Robotics (formally Natural Selection))

Rookie Year: 2004
D_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant futureD_Price has a brilliant future

Yeah it is very frustrating to hear after so many years...but hey they need to make money somehow....right? *note it is sarcasm*
"Education is a powerful tool. Always use it to better someone else's life"
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
no team

Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Price View Post
Yeah it is very frustrating to hear after so many years...but hey they need to make money somehow....right? *note it is sarcasm*
What's frustrating is that it took so long to discover, we hope. Who knows if the NSA, FSB, PLA, or even the SWE have been secretly exploiting this for years.

As far as security holes goes, this one falls into the category of "It was a security hole so big no one noticed it because no one could see the edges of it."
Great Northern Regional
Central Illinois Regional
Minnesota North Star Regional
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 11:57 AM
Tim Sharp
FRC #3959 (Morgan County Mech Tech)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
Tim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud ofTim Sharp has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Frisk View Post
There are patches already available for Linux, Microsoft is releasing a patch next Tuesday with the regular monthly Patch Tuesday updates.
The big question to me is what are the costs of the patch going to be in terms of speed/performance of the chips.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sharp View Post
The big question to me is what are the costs of the patch going to be in terms of speed/performance of the chips.
That's a very good question, and one that is going through wild speculation so far. I've seen reports that say it could be 30%, and I've seen reports that say it's not noticeable except in very specific, seldom used edge cases. I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle - It's not going to be huge, and on the average consumer computer won't be a big deal. But when you look at things like server farms with thousands of machines, even a hit of 1% can be significant. It'll have a bigger affect on widespread Cloud-based applications than anything else.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
That's a very good question, and one that is going through wild speculation so far. I've seen reports that say it could be 30%, and I've seen reports that say it's not noticeable except in very specific, seldom used edge cases. I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle - It's not going to be huge, and on the average consumer computer won't be a big deal. But when you look at things like server farms with thousands of machines, even a hit of 1% can be significant. It'll have a bigger affect on widespread Cloud-based applications than anything else.
You are correct. I've been reading a lot about this vulnerability today. It's a mess for providers more so than consumers directly on their end systems.

I suspect this one might actually cause Intel to lose some market share. It's A LOT less of an issue for AMD and ARM.
Clarke's Laws
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Doesnt Have Working Eyes
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sharp View Post
In terms of gaming, it only looks to be a 2-4% hit for Intel processors past Haswell. (4xxx series) In terms of FRC use, that may be a bit different.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:42 PM
AKA: Jordan McMichael
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH 27)

jlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
In terms of gaming, it only looks to be a 2-4% hit for Intel processors past Haswell. (4xxx series) In terms of FRC use, that may be a bit different.
In addition, the big change coming will specifically affect system calls, which is why it will have a bigger effect on servers and applications which use system resources (time, file information, and much more). Games tend to be light on system calls, which is why they aren't affected as heavily by the fix for meltdown.

As for FRC, the RoboRio uses an ARM processor, which means that it will not require a fix for meltdown.

Note: there is no immediate fix I am aware of coming for spectre, although all processors are susceptible afaik.

Field reset: '13 - '16, Einstein '16!
Referee: '15 - '18

2018: Kettering #1, Centerline, Milford, Midland, Troy, Marysville, MICMP, Roebling, Archimedes, IRI, MARC, Kettering Kickoff, FSU Roboday, Bot Bash, Alpena Offseason, Bloomfield Girls Competition
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmcmchl View Post
In addition, the big change coming will specifically affect system calls, which is why it will have a bigger effect on servers and applications which use system resources (time, file information, and much more). Games tend to be light on system calls, which is why they aren't affected as heavily by the fix for meltdown.

As for FRC, the RoboRio uses an ARM processor, which means that it will not require a fix for meltdown.

Note: there is no immediate fix I am aware of coming for spectre, although all processors are susceptible afaik.
The RoboRIO uses an A9 and it is susceptible based on the data from ARM:

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

I doubt highly we see a patch though.
Clarke's Laws
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:38 PM
AKA: Jordan McMichael
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH 27)

jlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant futurejlmcmchl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
The RoboRIO uses an A9 and it is susceptible based on the data from ARM:

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

I doubt highly we see a patch though.
TIL, Thanks for double checking!

I agree as well, the situations in which a rio is used generally does not include any private or protected information.

Field reset: '13 - '16, Einstein '16!
Referee: '15 - '18

2018: Kettering #1, Centerline, Milford, Midland, Troy, Marysville, MICMP, Roebling, Archimedes, IRI, MARC, Kettering Kickoff, FSU Roboday, Bot Bash, Alpena Offseason, Bloomfield Girls Competition

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: