OCCRA
Go to Post The only tool that will work to get our robot done in time will be a prayer rug. - Rick TYler [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about
Teams that have dropped the Swerve Drive

Following the very interesting thread on those teams that use Swerve Drives on their robots and how they perform, I am left with these questions:
1) what Teams developed and used a Swerve Drive at one point in the team's life and ended up abandonning the idea?
2) why have those teams abandonned the Swerve Drive?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Scouting Maniac
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teams that have dropped the Swerve Drive

Iirc, there are two Minnesota teams who tried swerve, had a ton of problems with it and decided not to do it again: 2220 in 2011 and 2169 in 2014.

Any questions, comments, concerns or smart remarks? PM me or email me at nomythicalbeast@gmail.com.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Berkeley Engineering
AKA: Mitchel Stokes
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Mitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
Following the very interesting thread on those teams that use Swerve Drives on their robots and how they perform, I am left with these questions:
1) what Teams developed and used a Swerve Drive at one point in the team's life and ended up abandonning the idea?
2) why have those teams abandonned the Swerve Drive?
We did it in 2016 (four wheel based on 221's design) and in 2017 (three wheel custom with globoid rotation gearboxes). The 2016 ones were plagued with both mechanical and software issues but the 2017 ones ran great for the most part. This year we decided to change it up and go tank, and I am personally very happy with that decision. It has made our auto much more consistent, the driver had an easier time getting used to controlling it, and movements feel much more precise because there's one less degree of freedom for its motion than a swerve. I don't think we're 100% against going back to swerve, but if we do go back it will probably be with more time invested into its development beforehand.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Senior LRI NC District
AKA: Lee Barger
FRC #0587 (The Hedgehogs)

Rookie Year: 2001
lbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant futurelbarger has a brilliant future

As you can imagine, swerve drives are considerably more complex than the basic six wheel drop center used by many teams. The complexity is expressed in mechanical (more moving parts), electrical (more motors/controllers) and especially programming (orienting and varying speed on each wheel independently). It also requires more driver practice to get the most benefits from the added complexity.

Unless you want to spend your entire build and competition season tuning and learning to use your drive base, I would highly recommend that you build your first Swerve Drive as an off season project. I have been on a team that tried to do Swerve for the first time after kickoff and we spent more time trying to get mobile than trying to manipulate the game pieces. We went back to the classic 6 wheel drop center the next year in order to have more time to work on the scoring system(s).

Also, Swerve is not particularly cheap. If it does not offer a substantial benefit to your particular strategy, it may not be worth doing every year. I'm sure there will be some that would argue that Swerve is always worth the cost, but if your team has resource constraints (budget, programmers, builders) it may not be worth it (or affordable) to you.

It is always a good idea to understand your own teams resource limitations, whether it be money, tooling or people power and to work within those constraints. A practiced driver with a good robot can often outperform the 'perfect' robot with an inexperienced driver.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Controls Mentor
AKA: Stuart Sebright
FRC #2054 (TECH Vikes)

Rookie Year: 2010
stuart2054 is a glorious beacon of lightstuart2054 is a glorious beacon of lightstuart2054 is a glorious beacon of lightstuart2054 is a glorious beacon of lightstuart2054 is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Teams that have dropped the Swerve Drive

We used a swerve drive based on an older 2767 (Stryke Force) Design last year. We had good success with it but any swerve is expensive and complex. Programming intense as well. It is also not the a great power drive for defense, with the idea being a good driver can avoid a push contest but it does take a real good driver to master. Having said all that for 2018 we didn't choose to use swerve but I don't think anyone has ruled it out for other years and the games that may come.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

We did an off-season swerve a while back (I think it was during the first RoboRio Beta test, after we finished the Alpha test). Complicated, difficult, and ultimately the team decided it wasn't worth it for a competition robot. I'm sure we'll revisit it at some point in the future with a new group of kids, though!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently working on a small swerve drive for the office in order to terrorize (and bring snacks to) my co-workers.

Swerve is hard, even with ultra-light-duty hobby stuff. Hopefully this Tough Ink 115 filament can handle the lateral stresses without much flexing, otherwise I'm dropping the pursuit for a kiwi drive.

Does this count?

1885: YouTube | CAD Library
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Robot Mentor
AKA: The Bearded ONe
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a right resources, it seems like a multi year project before it is ready for a competition grade robot.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Unregistered User
AKA: JABot67
FRC #2930 (Sonic Squirrels)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
John Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond repute

67 had a 3-wheel swerve drive flopbot in 2005. They won the World Championship with that robot, but they've never done swerve since.

From what I can remember from my earlier years on 67, the chatter about this robot seemed to be about how difficult it was to get right. Swerve drives were in their early stages in those times, and though it's hard to imagine a world championship drivetrain leaving a bad taste in a team's mouth, I think that's exactly what happened. They've moved on to the familiar sheet metal skid-steer chassis since then, as it seems a lot easier for them to adapt to the game and produce quickly. Of course, I'd love to hear about this from someone who was actually on the team in 2005.
Team 3322 Programming Mentor: 2012-2014
Team 2930 Engineering Mentor: 2015-????
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Wildstang 111 ran swerve for many many years (most seasons from 2000 to 2010, IIRC). They ran 2 speed WCD in 2011 and ran some version of tank drive since then. I believe the original decision to change away was the desire for a shifting drivetrain and not wanting to shift their swerve.

Robonauts 118 ran swerve drive from mid-2000's through 2008, half-swerve in 2009 and then tank drive from 2010-present.

Hammond 71 ran swerve many years from mid-2000's through 2012. If my memory serves correctly, they lost the sponsorship of Beatty Engineering in 2013 which lead to simplifying their designs significantly.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 04:25 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

1717 used to make the best swerve drives, but they haven't made one since 2015.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Scouting Maniac
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond reputenomythicalbeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
Not cool, man.

Any questions, comments, concerns or smart remarks? PM me or email me at nomythicalbeast@gmail.com.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 04:46 PM
AKA: Henry Grote
FRC #1515 (MorTorq)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
hgrote is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
RIP
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Pwnage moved on from swerve a couple of years ago, I think.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM
AKA: Matt Golman
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Rookie Year: 2007
BordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond reputeBordomBeThyName has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bottenberg View Post
67 had a 3-wheel swerve drive flopbot in 2005. They won the World Championship with that robot, but they've never done swerve since...

...it's hard to imagine a world championship drivetrain leaving a bad taste in a team's mouth, I think that's exactly what happened...
148 Also had a world champion swerve drive that left a bad taste in their mouth.

Founder -> Build VP -> President -> Drive Team Mentor -> Strategy and Mechanical Mentor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: