OCCRA
Go to Post You must wear safety glasses at all times, so please bring them. - Don Wright [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2017, 05:55 PM
no team

LGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant future
LGBTQ+ of FIRST: Survey Results!

LGBTQ+ of FIRST is proud to announce our community survey results!

With more 130 respondents from throughout FIRST, we're thrilled to share our findings! Here are a couple of interesting statistics we discovered:
  • 27.1% of students and 21.3% of mentors strongly agree that students and mentors on their team try to understand LGBTQ+ identities.
  • Only 11.8% of respondents reported knowing an LGBTQ+ mentor.
  • 26.2% of transgender students do not feel comfortable expressing their gender at events.
  • 18.4% of respondents reported hearing mentors use slurs, such as f*g or d*ke.

Take a look at our infographic report here!

Together, we hope to use what we have learned to improve the atmosphere of FIRST for LGBTQ+ students, and provide directed educational materials.

Thank you to Liam Fay for conducting and compiling the survey and results.

If you're interested in helping us make FIRST a more welcoming and accepting place, check out our ambassador and partnership applications!

Last edited by LGBTQ-of-FIRST : 12-05-2017 at 11:58 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Mythically Obsessed Sorta-Leader
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of
Re: LGBTQ+ of FIRST: Survey Results!

Thank you all for publishing this survey! These statistics are very good to know and will definitely help us as we further our goal of making everyone feel welcome in FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBTQ-of-FIRST View Post
18.4% of respondents reported hearing mentors use slurs, such as f*g or d*ke.
I really hope I'm not the only one deeply disturbed by this. I sincerely hoped that percentage would be zero, but alas.

My ideas, comments, and opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my team, sponsors, or school. Always feel free to PM me.

Last edited by nomythicalbeast : 12-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Lead Bumper Mentor
AKA: Mike Marandola
FRC #0316 (LUNATECS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Mike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond repute

Great information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomythicalbeast View Post
I really hope I'm not the only one deeply disturbed by this. I sincerely hoped that percentage would be zero, but alas.
That percentage is extremely high and sadly I have heard things like this. As a new lead mentor, one of my goals is to take all of the necessary steps to stop this behavior.

2015 - Pioneer Valley District Finalists/Upper Darby District Finalists/MAR District Championship #1 Seed and Winners with 225 and 203
2014 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Winners
2013 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Finalists
2011 - Philadelphia Regional Finalists
2009 - Finger Lakes Regional Finalists

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2017, 07:03 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
  • 26.2% of transgender students do not feel comfortable expressing their gender at events.
The only good thing to be said for that last stat is that it was much higher during your great-grandmotherís youth.

The first two stats indicate how fast the situation is changing now. Todayís teens and tweens are asserting themselves more bravely than my generation did, in part because they are standing on the shoulders of many brave people who faced a much less accepting world back in the day.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
AKA: Colin Sherman
FRC #1710 (The Ravonics Revolution)
Team Role: CAD

Csherm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
  • 27.1% of students and 21.3% of mentors strongly agree that students and mentors on their team try to understand LGBTQ+ identities.

View the rest of our results here!
The results of this poll are terrifying. As a community and as individuals, we need to do more to ensure that all participants are welcomed and accepted. My team and I will continue our efforts to spread awareness and education about this topic.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Leadership

Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
The only good thing to be said for that last stat is that it was much higher during your great-grandmotherís youth.

The first two stats indicate how fast the situation is changing now. Todayís teens and tweens are asserting themselves more bravely than my generation did, in part because they are standing on the shoulders of many brave people who faced a much less accepting world back in the day.
That's really true - though we still have so far to go, it's important to remember how we've come and who has allowed us to do so.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 12:57 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

The results of my team's internal surveys bear out your findings. Thanks for continuing this good work.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM
AKA: Josh Patterson
FRC #1710 (Ravonics Revolution)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Jpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really nice

I would encourage anyone with questions or anyone seeking advice regarding LGBTQ+ Inclusion to reach out to Team 1710 or myself. We have an initiative which aims to tackle this issue from all angles, and we would be happy to share.

*Opinions posted are my own, and do not necessarily align with those of my team
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
no team

LGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant futureLGBTQ-of-FIRST has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpatterson1710 View Post
I would encourage anyone with questions or anyone seeking advice regarding LGBTQ+ Inclusion to reach out to Team 1710 or myself. We have an initiative which aims to tackle this issue from all angles, and we would be happy to share.
Thatís great! Itís wonderful to hear about your teamsí efforts to be inclusive and welcoming. If youíre interested in working with LGBTQ+ of FIRST, weíd love to have you apply to be a partner team for the organization!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: