OCCRA
Go to Post Chief Delphi down for a few hours ON A WEEKEND??? This is MADNESS! - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 01:02 PM
VRC #4776

em59377 is an unknown quantity at this point
App to Analyze Statistics for Scouting

Hey guys! I'm our scouting captain for team 4776 out of Howell, MI. We typically use an app that we develop each year for scouting but I had an idea and I want to know if it's at all possible and if it is, how. Is there a way to create an app where each team number is like a "folder", so that each team's information is separate, and contains the information for each match. So when you scout, your whatever you are using connects to the folder and uploads the information, then each "activity" (like climbing or shooting fuel) would be weighted for a certain amount of points. You could then use the information provided and punch in which teams are on each alliance and find out the statistical chance of winning based on each teams past points. I'm not very good with computers at all so if anyone could just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, thank you!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: App to Analyze Statistics for Scouting

What you're describing is a very advanced scouting platform.

My team used AppSheet last year. It provides an app interface on the phone that sends data to spreadsheet in Google Docs. From there you can do all sorts of math and functions. You can even have it display graphs of data that has been collected.

It also lets students load photos of robots and saves them in a folder.

...And AppSheet costs to use. I think it was $10/app per month for unlimited users.

Last edited by SenorZ : 11-15-2017 at 01:32 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM
FF: Questionable Decisionmakers
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

The approach with the lowest barrier to entry is probably a paper sheet to Excel/Google Sheets scouting system. We accomplish all of that functionality in Microsoft Excel. The results of each paper scouting sheet are manually entered into the spreadsheet and then we calculate various analytics on the raw match data.

If anyone is interested in seeing our scouting spreadsheet, feel free to say here/PM me and I'll send it your way.
2016: Tech Valley SF (5236, 2791, 3624) and Quality, Finger Lakes SF (5254, 2791, 2383), Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: Mount Olive QF (1257, 1923, 1811) and Safety Award, North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257) and Team Spirit and Safety Awards
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF (1257, 293, 303)
2013: TCNJ Safety Award
2012: Mount Olive QF (204, 303, 1257)

FF - Questionable Decisionmakers: 2017 SLFF Regular Season Champions (Elgin Clock Award), SLFF Championship Winners, and Fantasy FIM Finalists
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
FRC #2512
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute

Next up from Excel is going to be Tableau (they've given FRC teams licenses the past few years) or (what I'm currently playing with) Power BI.

But there's a leap from "taking data" to creating data usable for predictive models and then another leap to actually creating those models. It's fine to create pretty charts and graphs, but if they can't provide actionable insights into your next match it's a waste of time.
2015 MNDU2, ILPE, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, MRI, Mini Minnie
2014 MNDU2, ILCH, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, Mini Minnie
2013 MNDU, CMP, Mini Minnie
2012 MNDU
Scorekeeper, Practice Field, UL Safety Advisor, Queuing, Field Supervisor
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Moving to Illinois Next Year!
FRC #0225 (TechFire), FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)

Rookie Year: 2005
Ben Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond reputeBen Martin has a reputation beyond repute

I did the basic functionality for what you're describing with Excel & macros back in 2009 (at least a win prediction if not a win percentage prediction)

These days, the easiest way to pull it off is probably some sort of system using google sheets/forms.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM
AKA: James O'Connor
FRC #6705 (WildCat 5e)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2014
Giantwalker will become famous soon enoughGiantwalker will become famous soon enough

This is definitely possible and it has been something that on 2067 we have been doing since about 2015. A quick warning a match predictor can be way less useful in defense intensive games. If you want to see an implementation of this tool I would definitely recommend looking at 238/2067's PiScout project seen in this thread:
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...hreadid=160087
If you look at the github in gamespecific.py and server.py you can see implementations of match prediction and some further uses of match prediction that I would highly recommend (we often used match prediction to get a rough analysis of final rankings).
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2012
Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

1678 has had a match prediction function in its Scout Viewer for 2016 and 2017, but this year's functionality was disrupted by the weight and randomness of climbing. It was quite accurate in 2016.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: