Go to Post I was a rookie last year, I didn't expect much. Now I got a taste of what it is, I want more. - davidthefat [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: You can locate the vision tetra and you...
... used Auto Servo Mode 8 50.00%
... didn't use Auto Servo Mode 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
FRC #5507 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute
Did you use Auto Servo Mode?

For teams that can locate (not necesarily cap) the vision tetra:

Did you use auto servo mode or did you manually pan the camera?

177 decided that it was too likely that the camera would not start with a vision tetra in its field of vision and so we don't use auto servo mode at all. All of the camera turning is done completely manually by the RC.

What did you guys find works best for you?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did you use Auto Servo Mode?

I'm using auto servo mode, but I'd prefer not to. Is there any chance that you could share your algorithm for manual searching?
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese

When we were looking into using the camera, we decided on algorithm which used both manual searching and autoservo. Autoservo works very well when the tetra is in view.

Matt
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero

Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Leese
When we were looking into using the camera, we decided on algorithm which used both manual searching and autoservo. Autoservo works very well when the tetra is in view.
I was considering rewriting the code to use auto-servo mode, but I figure since we already have it working without auto-servo mode... Since the camera only really covers about 35 degrees, we didn't think we could count on the tetra being in view enough of the time.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese

The basic gist of it is that you use a manual mode to execute a search pattern for the tetra. When you find it, you switch to autoservo mode. If you lose it, you go back to the search pattern. It's fairly simple and worked rather well for us. The autoservo mode is quite good and provides a really easy way of working with the camera.

That said, we dropped the camera when we realized that we wouldn't have enough time in autonomous to find and cap with it (that whole falling over thing doesn't help much).

Matt
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2005, 02:03 AM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute

Auto Servo Mode serves it purpose quite well. We used a basic counter loop that incremented the position of the pan servo and when we got a good T-Packet we swapped it over to auto track mode.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:20 AM
#1430 (WRONG)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2004
russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

My one attempt at writing my own servo control ended when I got annoyed with the compiler over a stupid error. Later I figured out what the error was, but I didnt have time to fix it, and anyway I had working code using autoservo and just turning the whole robot to scan the field. It works really well (except for being disabled before autonomous and thus wasting time) but we still probably wont use our camera as I never did get around to testing our autonomous program.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 12:15 AM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri
Auto Servo Mode serves it purpose quite well. We used a basic counter loop that incremented the position of the pan servo and when we got a good T-Packet we swapped it over to auto track mode.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this intrigues me. We tried doing the same but every time we enabled auto_servo_mode it would reset to 127, 127 and lose the color tracking settings.

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Krass
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this intrigues me. We tried doing the same but every time we enabled auto_servo_mode it would reset to 127, 127 and lose the color tracking settings.
Precisely why we didn't use it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: