OCCRA
Go to Post Krispy Kreme and Diet Coke. Accept no substitutes! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #301   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
no team

PerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of lightPerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of lightPerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of lightPerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of lightPerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of lightPerpetualMotion is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Curie 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircedric4 View Post
The new system is really close to good, but it leads itself to being taken advantage of in some cases. If you suspect you can't beat another team you can turn around and score on yourself to improve your seeding score. This aspect is horrible from a spectator standpoint. When you have to sit and write a dissertation to explain to spectators why everyone if scoring on the opposite goals, then the game has lost its "spectator friendliness".

It also does not reward defensive playing. As it stands the way you play when you qualify is not the same as when you play in the eliminations. I think there are some tweaks that can be made to improve these two issues, but I admit I am at a loss to what those things could be exactly. Surely the community can brainstorm something to keep the good and ditch the 6v0 bad.
IRI should change the seeding system to be winners get winners score, losers get losers score. This will get rid of the 6 v 0 aspect, no one will be scoring in each others goals. It will also minimize defense as it would have no advantage to your seed (unless you were playing an alliance that had a team close to you in the ranks). The first tie breaker should be hanging points. This will encourage exciting end game hangs. Thoughts?
  #302   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
VEX Robotics
no team (No Team)

Rookie Year: 2005
Jon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jon Jack

Leave the ranking system alone... It does it's job...

Team 1538 / The Holy Cows, 2005-2016
  #303   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM
FRC #0469
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Don Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Don Wright Send a message via Yahoo to Don Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
IRI should change the seeding system to be winners get winners score, losers get losers score. This will get rid of the 6 v 0 aspect, no one will be scoring in each others goals. It will also minimize defense as it would have no advantage to your seed (unless you were playing an alliance that had a team close to you in the ranks). The first tie breaker should be hanging points. This will encourage exciting end game hangs. Thoughts?
It doesn't factor in how tough your opponents are... I assume this is the reason for the opponents score being part of the winners score.
  #304   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Still hooked on FRC
AKA: Marc Antinossi
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
maverickfan138 will become famous soon enoughmaverickfan138 will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised to see that they never updated our score after our last match(144). They claimed we finished in 18th, but after adding our last match scores, we should have finished in 12th.

Overall, we are very happy at our accomplishments this year. We had a robot that performed well and did the best we have ever done in Atlanta. Many of us think we could have even done better as well. Look out Einstein, we will see you next year!
  #305   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:04 PM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickfan138 View Post
I'm surprised to see that they never updated our score after our last match(144). They claimed we finished in 18th, but after adding our last match scores, we should have finished in 12th.
This is something you would need to loudly, calmly, and clearly tell the FTA on field as it is happening. If that's actually the case you deserved an alliance selection redo if the 12th seed became a captain...
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #306   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Curie 2010 was the perfect way to finish 1732's best year in team history. I wish we could have gone further, but still had a blast.

Thanks for 1511 for picking us and 368 for joining our alliance. I think we were one of the better alliances that would have gone further if we weren't fodder for 1114/469/2041 first. On the bright side, we had the lowest point differential of any alliance that played them on Curie. The first quarterfinal match was probably my favorite match we have lost. We almost had them! Anyway, I hope we can partner up again in the future.

Congrats to 1114, 469 and 2041. Three of my favorite teams in FIRST. 1114 is amazing in everything they do and is just insanely inspiring. 469 has always built some of my favorite robots while 2041 is one of the scrappiest, smartest teams that does the most with the least (just check out their progression since 2007). I can't wait to see their blue banner hanging in their pit at Midwest next year.

Thanks again to 171 for scouting with us. Hopefully, we can do it again in the future.

Thanks again to 1739 for giving us a ride from the hotel and naming our blue polos that we wear on Saturday the "beat 'em up blues". I hope the name sticks with the rest of my team.

How many days till kickoff?
  #307   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Building an iOS app @ glacial speed
AKA: @FRCZach
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
How many days till kickoff?
264! A.K.A. Too many!
  #308   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM
AKA: Jeffrey
FRC #0151 (Tough Techs)

Rookie Year: 2008
huberje has a spectacular aura abouthuberje has a spectacular aura abouthuberje has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspatz1 View Post
Jeff, If you are a first-year driver, then your opponents next year are in for some serious trouble. You guys were awesome. If we ever meet up again, I hope we are wearing the same color again.
Thanks, Jeff! I loved working with you guys. Even before our qualifying match started I knew we would work very well together. I look forward to seeing 1986 again next year and, as you said, I hope we'll be together (Otherwise I'm going to have trouble in that match)
  #309   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
FRC #1676

haye321 is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to publicly apolgize for my comments in this thread regarding match 100 and the GDC's ranking system, I realize they may have come off in a way that was much more harsh and critical then I had originally intended. I was simply expressing my frustration with the way the ranking system worked in some situations this season.
  #310   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
AKA: Osa
FRC #0368 (Team Kika Mana | Tiger Power!)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
TKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond reputeTKM.368 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
The first quarterfinal match was probably my favorite match we have lost. We almost had them!
Indeed, we definitely did our best as the underdogs to get through the powerhouse first seeded alliance. Many mahalos go out to our partners 1511 and 1732! That match in particular can be viewed here if anyone is interested.

Now that Atlanta and Dallas (VEX) are over, we're going to try to upload what video we have from Curie. We've got just about all the matches taped from Thursday and Friday and then only our matches on Saturday. It's going to take awhile to upload, but they should be viewable up to 1080p once they're done. YouTube is being finicky about converting some of the videos, so we'll work on it.

Great job, Curie! It was definitely a blast...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: