OCCRA
Go to Post [IRI] is like shaving the cream that has risen to the top of each championship division putting them into a blender and serving the concoction up to the FIRST community for dessert. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM
no team (No Team)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2013
Deke is just really niceDeke is just really niceDeke is just really niceDeke is just really nice
Re: pic: What Could Carpedav Possibly B Working On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedav000 View Post
My fear with going from single tooth to three-tooth is that with the intended weapon rpm (10,000-11,000), the opposing robot would ride up the wedge just fine, but the teeth would "grind" down on the other robot instead of hooking and throwing/breaking. I could lessen the weapon rpm, but I'm wanting to go with maximum impact. Unless someone knows this wouldn't be an issue.
That makes sense. If you only want one tooth, I would place a denser material where you would put two of three equally spaced teeth to get the center of mass back in the middle of the shaft. It will make balancing the drum easier than just putting weight directly opposite the one tooth.

Edit:
Or just provide mounting points on the outside of the drum to add mass for balancing, but I think with machined components you can have a designed drum that's balanced with out messing around with adding weights to it. The single tooth unbalanced will drive harmonics into the robot.

Last edited by Deke : 09-13-2017 at 10:36 PM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 09:54 AM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud ofInFlight has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke View Post
That makes sense. If you only want one tooth, I would place a denser material where you would put two of three equally spaced teeth to get the center of mass back in the middle of the shaft. It will make balancing the drum easier than just putting weight directly opposite the one tooth.

Edit:
Or just provide mounting points on the outside of the drum to add mass for balancing, but I think with machined components you can have a designed drum that's balanced with out messing around with adding weights to it. The single tooth unbalanced will drive harmonics into the robot.
Tungsten Rods are available that have 2.5 x the density of iron. You could mill/drill one or two lengthwise holes inside opposite of the Key Feature and force fit them into the cylinder to fully balance it.

You would need calculate the mass moments of inertia, to find a solution that is balanced around the rotational axis. I could help with the calculation if you have the existing materials and full dimensions.

Last edited by InFlight : 09-14-2017 at 10:10 AM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM
no team (No Team)

Deke is just really niceDeke is just really niceDeke is just really niceDeke is just really nice

Another thought is to just machine out material 60 degrees on either side of the tooth. That would have the same effect as adding mass 120 degrees equally spaced around the drum.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM
no team (No Team)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
If you look closely, wind turbines, car wheels, and such tend to have prime numbers of spokes. This reduces the number of resonant frequencies to worry about providing damping. Likely not a significant effect for this application.
Not exactly. It doesn't have to be a prime number. The odd number disconnects the beam elements and essentially doubles the stiffness of those beams because they only cross half the diameter instead of all the way across. This would double the resonant frequency in those beams hopefully driving them above operating frequencies.

Stiffness is directly related to length, and natural frequency is the root of stiffness over mass.

The odd numbered spokes or mass placement creates a trigonometric geometry that is more forgiving to the center of mass allowing for more error in the manufacturing. It's slight, but slight helps at high rpms.

Another reference, see fidget spinners. I don't recommend an even numbered module spinner to help your focus...

So basically, because math.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2017, 01:45 PM
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke View Post
Another thought is to just machine out material 60 degrees on either side of the tooth. That would have the same effect as adding mass 120 degrees equally spaced around the drum.
That's what I'm planning on doing, I just need some serious help with the math

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: