OCCRA
Go to Post There is no feeling greater than being a part of a group that would walk through fire with you. Complete commitment, complete trust, and total respect. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mentor to Team Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennonbrimhall View Post
Great thread. This topic has been on my mind a great deal for the past few weeks, but I'd like to approach this from a different perspective than merely how to refer to mentors by name.

I think most "traditional" teams probably meet these criteria:
  • Are affiliated with a particular high school as a club or sport.
  • Typically led by a school official.
  • Most mentors are "parent age," meaning that they're usually old enough to be parents of a high school student.
Many "traditional" teams that are more than a few years old also have at least a significant minority of mentors who are alumni, or older siblings of team members or alumni. (3946 currently has 2 alumni (one of whom has a sibling currently on the team), an older brother of an alumnus, and a never-student-member older sister of a student member who attend most meetings, as well as an alumnus who mentors regularly via internet and occasionally in person.

At some point, each team will need to figure out when and how "near peer" mentors transition to "Mr." and "Miss". Families, churches, and other multigenerational groups go through this all the time, so I expect it will be easier and more natural when the time comes than it appears here in 2018.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps I'm too liberal, but I disagree. My philosophy in mentorship is to build up students who I can trust. I trust our team leadership, and that trust includes confidence in their ability to keep information confidential and handle operational stuff like finances. Frankly, the conduct of my students has been far more gracious and professional than some of the recent conduct by adults on CD.
In terms of inter-student conflict sure. But student's home-lives or potential personal issues that you are made aware of as a mentor aren't the business of their peers. If a parent or student wants to explain to mentors that a divorce or death in the family may affect that student, I don't think is the mentor's business to share.

2018 | Gracious Professionalism x3, Asheville Winners, NCCMP Finalists, NC District - 3rd Rank
2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Rank
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Rank
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

Rookie Year: 2012
brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochron View Post
In terms of inter-student conflict sure. But student's home-lives or potential personal issues that you are made aware of as a mentor aren't the business of their peers. If a parent or student wants to explain to mentors that a divorce or death in the family may affect that student, I don't think is the mentor's business to share.
Perhaps I should clarify: my comment was directed towards the notion that students are inherently less mature and trustworthy than mentors. That's probably not what was intended to come across in the post, but that's how I read it. 6844 has been lucky to have fabulous students who inspire me to be a better human being.

You're totally right - not every situation is appropriate for student involvement. And if something confidential comes up where I am asked to not disclose something to students, including team captains, that will absolutely be honored. But I prefer transparency.

Team 20, 2012-2014: 4 blue banners, 5 medals, and 9 team awards.
Missionary, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2014-2016: Colorado Denver South Mission.
Brigham Young University, 2016-present: Computer Science.
Team 6844, 2018-present: 2018 Utah RAS, 2018 Newton/Carver RHS.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Perhaps I should clarify: my comment was directed towards the notion that students are inherently less mature and trustworthy than mentors. That's probably not what was intended to come across in the post, but that's how I read it. 6844 has been lucky to have fabulous students who inspire me to be a better human being.
While there are certain exceptions (I know of many personally) in the general case, students are inherently less mature than mentors for physiological reasons. That doesn't mean that students can't act with the emotional intelligence of adults or that they can't take on large responsibilities with tact. But it means that taking pause before involving them in private student issues or legal issues. With the later they may not legally be able to contribute.

2018 | Gracious Professionalism x3, Asheville Winners, NCCMP Finalists, NC District - 3rd Rank
2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Rank
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Rank
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

When WildStang started in 1996, there were Motorola engineers and there were teachers. Then there was my wife and I. We were neither Motorolans or teachers. Quite frankly the team didn't know how to handle us. For a few years we were tolerated but made our own travel to events, bought our own t-shirts, showed up during the build season and worked on the team. Then a Motorola manager noticed that we weren't included on the travel list to Champs and raised an issue with that. From that point on we were parent mentors. Even though we were in this limbo status we still felt very much part of the team. We had/have time invested in building the robot, working with the team on community outreach, working on Chairman's goals and especially as chaperones. We felt very strongly (and still do) that when the team succeeded we were part of that success just like every student, teacher or Motorola engineer. Our participation (or determination) paved the way for many other parents to become mentors and work with the students and other mentors to help make the program a success. I am happy that we now have a Parent's Organization that helps to support the team. My name tag still says WildStang and I still bleed tie dye 24 years later.
BTW, a vice president of Motorola thought I was an employee because he saw me all the time (more than ten years at that time). He asked what department I worked in so he could send my manager a good report. When I told him I worked some other place and never worked at Motorola he was surprised.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: