OCCRA
Go to Post I WANT to see teams succeed. - Steve W [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: White House to host winners of STEM competitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMom View Post
Jane and John, I meant no disrespect to the great teams who have earned the right to represent FIRST.

I have spent years trying to teach the elevator pitch to students, and it was tough to see the White House didn't get it right.

I apologize if my post was not appropriate in this thread.
In my post, I wasn't necessarily thinking about what you wrote, Jenny, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way. As long as I've know you, I've known and respected your work in the areas of communication, esp. the 2 minute areas - the elevator pitch.

Truthfully, if the event/news source is given the proper and correct information and they are careless with their posting or reporting - then it shows that they have work to do, too. Communication is a two-way street. We see this every day in news coverage of events world-wide and how that coverage is treated/handled. With information comes responsibility.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Truthfully, if the event/news source is given the proper and correct information and they are careless with their posting or reporting - then it shows that they have work to do, too. Communication is a two-way street. We see this every day in news coverage of events world-wide and how that coverage is treated/handled. With information comes responsibility.
So true. I have spent a lot of time explaining the Chairman's award to people who've seen the coverage and ask why if we won the competition we aren't the team there. It's nice that people are talking about FIRST but has become a personal nuisance. Everytime I see a local FRC related article I find myself explaining the reality to people verses what the article has for information. While this issue isn't as bad as it used to be I wish I didn't cringe with every article I read thinking about what I need to explain to people when they come talk to me about it.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

The robot competition is the most obvious, visible, and distilled-media-friendly part of the picture. It's what people see when they attend a regional or championship event. It's two thirds of the letters in FRC. We shouldn't be surprised that it's all that gets into the news coverage, when that coverage is managed by someone who isn't already well versed in what FIRST is trying to do.

The rest of the story is harder to capture in photos or on video, and it's harder to make it sound exciting in a newspaper article. The way to change this is probably to be consistently enthusiastic about the culture-change aspects of FIRST when talking to reporters, while almost apologetically acknowledging how much fun the robot side of things is.

Being consistently enthusiastic with a consistent message is not easy to do without sounding like a cult. We could use a reasonably large collection of things to say that restate the mission and vision of FIRST but don't appear to be stock phrases.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
We could use a reasonably large collection of things to say that restate the mission and vision of FIRST but don't appear to be stock phrases.
That's where superhero comic books have been smarter than the average bear.

KABLAM!!!! is my most favorite enthusiastic word although ZAP!!! with lightning bolts is a close second.

Sorry, I digress.derail.detour. *cough*

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

Quote:
KABLAM!!!! is my most favorite enthusiastic word although ZAP!!! with lightning bolts is a close second.
Jane, your inner child is showing

I was talking to an executive at work, chatting about robots of course, when I casually mentioned how FIRST had affected my daughter by influencing her to choose a career in engineering. All of a sudden you could see him perk up and really take interest in what I was saying. It so happens that his daughter was having trouble finding a focus in school and getting hooked up with an FRC team last year is starting to help her get focused.

My point is that you never really know what is going to click with the person you are talking to, but they need some sort of context to frame what you are saying and make a connection. It's tough with somebody you don't know, you really have to be good at reading body language and other clues in order to get your point across.

It takes practice. So talk about FIRST every chance you get, watch their reactions, and hone your personal interaction skills.

P.S. At the Fall Workshops in San Diego, we are going to have a session on Elevator Pitches. Just one more opportunity to better our communication skills!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Mr MOE's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
MOE 365 Team Coordinator
AKA: John Larock
None #0365 (Miracle Workerz)

Rookie Year: 2000
Mr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond reputeMr MOE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jane and John, I meant no disrespect to the great teams who have earned the right to represent FIRST.

I have spent years trying to teach the elevator pitch to students, and it was tough to see the White House didn't get it right.

Jenny:

I fully understand. I have not been in the details of events like this and can appreciate the bigger picture without having to deal with all the details, which can certainly be frustrating when the media get it wrong.

Regards.

John
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The information that you are discussing did not come from the students at the event, but was collected from some other research or source. Most likely transferred between adults. Although some of the details were certainly wrong, the spirit of the day and the message from the President was "spot on". We really need to look at the big picture.

I listened to every second of all of the student groups in the State Dining Room and I would ride an elevator with any of them. This was the most eloquent group of kids I have ever seen. The poise with which they interacted with the leader of our country was just inspiring. Every student conveyed to the President their passion for science and the love they had for their particular activity, whether they had worked in the family garage or traveled to an international competition.

We all certainly want the details to be accurate and it is frustrating when the press gets it wrong. But I believe that the mission of our visit was to convey the excitement of FLL, FTC, and FRC to the nation via the President. And when the President of the United States is playing with LEGOs and getting down on the floor to look inside of robots, then I would have to say "Mission Accomplished".
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
FRC #0067 (the HOT team)

Rookie Year: 2007
musicspeaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_341 View Post
The information that you are discussing did not come from the students at the event, but was collected from some other research or source. Most likely transferred between adults. Although some of the details were certainly wrong, the spirit of the day and the message from the President was "spot on". We really need to look at the big picture.

I listened to every second of all of the student groups in the State Dining Room and I would ride an elevator with any of them. This was the most eloquent group of kids I have ever seen. The poise with which they interacted with the leader of our country was just inspiring. Every student conveyed to the President their passion for science and the love they had for their particular activity, whether they had worked in the family garage or traveled to an international competition.

We all certainly want the details to be accurate and it is frustrating when the press gets it wrong. But I believe that the mission of our visit was to convey the excitement of FLL, FTC, and FRC to the nation via the President. And when the President of the United States is playing with LEGOs and getting down on the floor to look inside of robots, then I would have to say "Mission Accomplished".
Thank you for representing us all so well. Seeing that picture made me get a little teary eyed because I felt the same proud emotions that were on each of those kids faces even though I am miles and miles away. :*)

I cannot express enough thanks that you represented FIRST so perfectly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: