OCCRA
Go to Post You don't have to beat stronger teams to get better... to get better is to be forced to push the envelope against stronger teams. - Shankar M [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute
Re: an unusual observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Tic-tac-toe was 2005; 2007 was Connect 4. Hmm...board game, sports game, board game, sports game... Uh-oh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia_1739 View Post
Monopoly!
Checkers!
Chess!
Risk! With real bombs - small, but real.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Joel H.
FRC #0470 (Alpha Omega)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
thehurd03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thehurd03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
Risk! With real bombs - small, but real.
We could have water bombs!

Water Game+Board Game...
Now all we need is a fire game!
I know!

on an allience we would have one fire fighter bot, one bomb droper, and one platform bot that would have to have bombs droped on it butalso do the platform thing that we did in 07, and then for your team to get points your bot has to not be on fire at the end but it and you would also get points for being on the platform but if the other allience drops bombs on the fire fighter bot they get major penaltys and vice versa

this will never happen but atleast it would make robotics less nerdy....
we mght get some outsider fans too....h

"I'm in yo crater, stealin all yo moon rocks"
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Test Engineer
AKA: Marshal Horn
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)
Team Role: Mentor

kamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to kamocat Send a message via MSN to kamocat

Why not go the safer route? Use the robots to play Magic the Gathering. (with giant cards, of course). Autonomous would be building cards into the deck.
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Battleship. Sort of a water game. Sort of a board game. Actually that would probably suck as a spectator competition unless it was the Deluxe Talking Battleship.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

kamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nice

At this rate we could just play marbles.

But no, I still like that stuff involving tones and intervals. I suppose we could have something where the robots move around the area, find the data ports in the walls (each which has a few kilobytes of memory to store a waveform), and try to assemble a wave sequence to unlock some sort of code. Or they could be given sheet music which they must read and play (and then post in the .abc format. bonus points for making up lyrics to go along with it)

This is only the 80th post, and it's already way past feasible. What was I saying about making FIRST actually consider the ideas in this thread? This stuff might be usable in ten years or so.

How about really fun and funky stuff, like ferrofluid, non-newtonian fluid, or jello?

(and now for my 4th edit)
What about different sized balls, so each makes a "boing" of a different pitch? Some could even be filled with different liquids or gasses (helium in one, nitrogen in another, argon or xenon in a third)

Last edited by kamocat : 09-30-2008 at 07:01 PM.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamocat View Post
How about really fun and funky stuff, like ferrofluid, non-newtonian fluid, or jello?
Not the JELLO GAME again! (Dave's other favorite game, second only to water, Mars, or Krispy Kremes...)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Quote:
Not the JELLO GAME again! (Dave's other favorite game, second only to water, Mars, or Krispy Kremes...)
The only reason I mentioned jello is because I had an awesome idea a while back of embedding iron shavings in jello. Now that I know of ferrofluid, it's a little moot, but still fun.
How about a textured jelly? Something along the lines of clay or play-do for robots.
Another option is to have (almost) fully elastic balls, that increase in "hardness" as they near the core. This would create a nice splat-bounce effect. (if you put a skin on it, you could do it with cubes too)
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Office quote:
Quote:
ALRIGHT, WHO stuck my robot in JELLO?!?! JIM???

1885: YouTube | CAD Library
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Honestly, what worries me most is that they'll choose a gamepiece that will obstruct the cameras. Anything else is just in good fun.
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2008, 06:33 AM
10 Years of Sparky!
AKA: Shaav
FRC #0384 (Sparky)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
sayso_411 can only hope to improve

Idk...I think FIRST is going to try something simple yet difficult because of the new controller and hard economic times; after all they have got to watch their costs too!

#86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Well, the traffic barrels certainly would be fun if they shut off the lights for part of the competition. To reduce worry about all the switching of lights on the lifetime of the bulbs, they could use LEDs (I reccommend the L2K2-MWC4-11-0200 (that's the brightest cool-white luxeon K2 star that they offer), but the neutral-white or warm-white LEDs might be easier on the eyes.
I tested the efficiency of one of the cool-whites as my science project in 9th grade, and found them to be slightly more efficient than the fluorescent I tested (and in this case, much brighter as well).
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Boom!
AKA: Cody Smith
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2007
smartkid has a spectacular aura aboutsmartkid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamocat View Post
Why not go the safer route? Use the robots to play Magic the Gathering. (with giant cards, of course). Autonomous would be building cards into the deck.
And then my white sliver deck starts confusing the refs. because of all the chain abilities!
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartkid View Post
And then my white sliver deck starts confusing the refs. because of all the chain abilities!
...and what would happen to my Artifact deck? I think the judges would have to ban the Affinity mechanic!

#89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

I was intending it to be one of those competitions where you don't bring your own cards; you're given a deck to play with (and I believe you get to keep that deck afterwards).
At any rate, it'd make it harder to keep it involved with the community. However, they might focus a little more on the West Coast (say, hold Nationals in Washington State).
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Are you going to eat that?
FRC #2039 (Rockford Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
MiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the rough

This is probably a lame thought but maybe it will be somehow related to a recent movie. Like Ironman or something.

Rockford Robotics 2039: Think outside the bots.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: