OCCRA
Go to Post Cheap is always a good thing, unless you are building a robot. - Francis-134 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
AKA: Victor Marmol
FRC #1029 (WolvCats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
Keo-san is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with the Kit Gear Tooth sensors

We are trying to use the KoP's Gear Tooth sensors.We wired the sensor and are trying to get imput from the sensor but I get a constant 1 which is "i don't see it" I was just using a simple if then from the rc_dig_in02. I tried interupts before but since I don't know how to use them I got nothing. So I need some help maybe something I'm doing wrong with the sensor.which way to mount it and program it eventually with interrupts.please help! I'll be counting sprocket teeth with this sensor

www.wolvcatrobotics.com
CMU '11
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:51 PM
BobMonkey07
AKA: Jeff Powers
FRC #0836 (Robobees)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
bobmonkey836 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with the Kit Gear Tooth sensors

make sure it hasn't been damaged. last year we had a problem where our sensor worked, but had trouble with it's count. after noticing this problem, we found it had been damaged.
2007 Annapolis Regional at USNA!!

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
- Peter Drucker
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
AKA: Victor Marmol
FRC #1029 (WolvCats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2003
Keo-san is an unknown quantity at this point

and how would I know if its been damaged?

www.wolvcatrobotics.com
CMU '11
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:57 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass

Use a multimeter to test the sensor, I believe it shorts signal to ground when a tooth is detected, so an open connection (bad connection or loose wire?) behaves the same as no tooth detected (The RC has pullups, so with no connection, it defaults to 1). See if you can see a voltage change on the signal pin to around 0 volts when there's a tooth present. If that works then perhaps you aren't making the right connection to the RC, or you have the digital I/O in question set as an output. Start small, work from there, it's probably more likely a silly mistake than a damaged sensor. And silly mistakes are fun to laugh at later, so that's no big deal

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Mentor
AKA: Eric
FRC #0296 (Northern Knights (or Northern Ninjas))

Rookie Year: 2002
RichardJames will become famous soon enough

Is your gear made of ferrous metal?

try these sites:
http://allegromicro.com/hall/ats.asp

http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/2006...h-sensor-b.pdf
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Suspicious pointer conversion
AKA: Robinson Levin
FRC #1648 (The Gearbox Gangstaz)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
gnirts will become famous soon enough

In our experience the sensor has needed to be dangerously close to the teeth. Think: it needs to be closer to the teeth than the teeth are to each other (at least is the way I think of it, I really don't know to tell you the truth.)

Good luck,
Robinson
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Team 2021 Captain
AKA: Chris Davidson
FRC #2021 (FA Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
chris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to chris31

If you just poll it you should get varied responses of 0s and 1s. However you will miss many teeth. So for debugging to see if it works you can poll it but you will need interupts to get the GTS working correctly. If you need help see Kevin Watson's code.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM
FRC #0758 (Sky Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
mluckham will become famous soon enoughmluckham will become famous soon enough

According to the 2007 Sensor Manual the sensor outputs a pulse, but as chris31 says the sensor should be wired to a digital input port and use interrupts - see Kevin Watson's code.

If you just try to "poll" for the state of the sensor in user_routines or even user_routines_fast, you will miss most of the pulses. Using interrupt method guarantees the pulse will be counted.

Last year we mounted the sensor securly inside the tranmission gearbox - no problems.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
FRC #0570

Ianuser is an unknown quantity at this point

what if we're not using a regular cim motor. what if we're using one of those small black motors with a big winch pulley thing attached to it? how do we mount it then? the motor is too small for the sensor to go inside
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Active Defense Design Engineer
AKA: Jason
FRC #3015
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
purduephotog is a jewel in the roughpurduephotog is a jewel in the roughpurduephotog is a jewel in the roughpurduephotog is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to purduephotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keo-san View Post
We are trying to use the KoP's Gear Tooth sensors.We wired the sensor and are trying to get imput from the sensor but I get a constant 1 which is "i don't see it" I was just using a simple if then from the rc_dig_in02. I tried interupts before but since I don't know how to use them I got nothing. So I need some help maybe something I'm doing wrong with the sensor.which way to mount it and program it eventually with interrupts.please help! I'll be counting sprocket teeth with this sensor
Hello-

This is how our team integrated and tested the GTS as supplied with the KoPs.

1) Download from Kevin's FRC site the latest encoder sample code.
2) Follow the instructions in the readme. Pay special attention to the part about updating the .h file.
3) Solder part of a PWM cable to the encoder as indicated in this post:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=26
4) Test-compile Kevin's code to make sure you've got the appropriate files.
5) Hook up the GTS.
6) Download/run the program
7) Grab a pair of ferrous pliers. Tap the black/grey sensor head (you'll feel the magnetic pull) several times, swinging them back several inches. This simulates a 'tooth' moving into and out of the frame of the sensor.
8) If the counters don't work, try it on IO1, IO2, and IO3. For some reason our second sensor would only work on IO2.
9) If it STILL does not work, try a different sensor. Our (real) first one was 'dead' and never worked at all.

When you're done, if you're trying to integrate a number of different sensors, remember this post here for correct interrupt handling:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53483
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: