OCCRA
Go to Post Without mentors, you wouldn't even be participating in FIRST. Your team wouldn't exist, and FIRST as a program wouldn't exist. If it did, it'd just be another form of a science fair. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of
Re: Mentors on drive team

I believe that the adults should stay off the field. Do you see any coaches in sports step onto the field? No, they are always on the side lines. The "coach" on the field should be a student leader. Just like how there is a leader on any sports team.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Taking a few swings at stereotypes this morning, Andrew? I'd be careful with that.

Bottom line, the FIRST programs are suited for multi-generational interactions and partnerships. FRC provides many opportunities for children of all ages to work together and celebrate a great competition and program. It's part of the magic.

Jane
Oh, from the post I quoted I thought this thread was where we posted misguided stereotypical crap.

#78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Vice President Team 461
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
Henry Williams is on a distinguished road

I posted earlier on this thread and I just wanted to add that I have driven under a mentor as a coach and I am pretty sure I got just as inspired as I would have if he had been one of my peers. Through the coaching process I got to know him very well and we had a lot of fun together, I guess I'm just saying that it can be just as inspiring to be told what to do by someone older than you as a peer (especially if you win )
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Says Memorable Things
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #5895 (Peddie Robotics & FRC 708 Hatters Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

For those of you who are questioning the inspiration of Adult & Mentor coaches, I have a question.

Have you ever been on the Field with one of those Dynasty Coaches - you know, the coaches that have been to Einstein more times than you've been to the finals? Have you ever been across the glass from Paul Copioli, Shared a Driver's Station with Shaun McNulty, or watched how Raul Olivera coaches 111's drivers? I know both as a student and a mentor, just the aura around these individuals was inspiring, not to mention the insight and help they provide is invaluable.

To me, these coaches truly inspiring.
Current - Technical Mentor, FRC 5895, FRC 708
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

When you get to the competition portion of this program, it should be the goal of the 4 people on the field to get the absolute most they can out of the 120 pound machine placed on the field. Those 4 people have the responsibility to put into play the hundreds of hours of work from the team, the pit crew, the scouts, the sponsors and everyone else attached to the program.

For those 2 minutes of play time, that means the best combination of driver, operator, human player and coach to accomplish that should be the ones on the field.

Although often the same person, the person who put in the most hours is not necessarily the best person for any of those roles. I don't think any of those roles should be a "reward" for time put in - the decisions need to be based around what is the best combination of 4 people to be on the field. That might be a mentor for the coach, that might be a student. It might be the kid who puts in 30 hours a week in the shop, it might be the one that had other committments and could only do 15 - but has an unbelievable ability to drive or strategize.

We all have roles to play and sometimes those roles are out in front and sometimes they are in the background. The best result for the team should be the primary consideration.
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
I believe that the adults should stay off the field. Do you see any coaches in sports step onto the field? No, they are always on the side lines. The "coach" on the field should be a student leader. Just like how there is a leader on any sports team.
The coach doesn't play any of the game in robotics, just like football.

How many high school football teams have student coaches?

Why do you think this is?
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

The only appropriate reply to this entire thread:

"That's just, like, your opinion, man!"
The Bausch Foundation and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:30 AM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

Rookie Year: 2009
Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
The coach doesn't play any of the game in robotics, just like football.

How many high school football teams have student coaches?

Why do you think this is?
Couple of things.
Robotics is not a sport.
And in football the coaches call the plays (strategies of robotics) but its the QB that calls the autables (the coach). Also I would argue that the coach does play the game, they are the QB, Point guard, or any other leader of a sports team.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Says Memorable Things
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #5895 (Peddie Robotics & FRC 708 Hatters Robotics)

thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjenks548 View Post
Robotics is not a sport.
We are all in the FIRST Robotics Competition.

Key word being Competition. FRC may not be considered a "sport" by the masses, but it is still a competition, and the point of any competition is to compete, be competitive, and win - though some may disagree with the last two.
Current - Technical Mentor, FRC 5895, FRC 708
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
We are all in the FIRST Robotics Competition.

Key word being Competition. FRC may not be considered a "sport" by the masses, but it is still a competition, and the point of any competition is to compete, be competitive, and win - though some may disagree with the last two.
And those people would be WRONG. (Not an opinion, it has been outright stated that we should be trying to win numerous times.)

#86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjenks548 View Post
Robotics is not a sport.
And in football the coaches call the plays (strategies of robotics) but its the QB that calls the autables (the coach). Also I would argue that the coach does play the game, they are the QB, Point guard, or any other leader of a sports team.
If poker is a sport, robotics is definitely a sport. We do more than move playing cards around... (Hey, poker does show up quite often on ESPN, who is known as "the worldwide leader in sports".)

In this game, the coach does both strategy and audible calling. Strategies are worked out with the entire alliance before a match--don't leave your coach out of that. Audibles are called on the field by the coach. And, in sports like basketball and hockey, the coach is on the sidelines calling signals to his team throughout the game, not just at defined points in time.

However, sports comparisons do fail. What sport gives you a random team every time you take the field? What playoff tournament allows you to pick your team after dishing out the random teams in qualifying?

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Back To Back WPI Champions!
AKA: Jake Janssens AKA "Russell" to 3623
FRC #3623 (Terror Bots)

Rookie Year: 2008
Zuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud ofZuelu562 has much to be proud of

Go about picking your coaches your own way; if the team (both drive and general) is comfortable with the choice, no point trying to fix something that isn't broken. If you're not, explore the options; it really is all about the individual you choose to be the coach, not a sterotype based off their age.

Volunteer Resume:
BattleCry@WPI 12, 13, 15, 16 - Queuing\BattleCry@WPI 14, 18 - Field Reset
Granite State District Event 2014 - Team Queuing
NEFIRST District Championships '14,'15,'16 - Team Queuing
Southern NH District Event 2017 - Lead Queuer
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought for this topic as this thread begins its descent into emotional fractured disagreement:

With the way that FRC is set up, students cycle up and through the program until they are eventually out as active participants unless they decide to mentor or volunteer or become a sponsor. The cycle renews and replenishes each season, bringing in new participants who are at the beginning stages of understanding FRC and the opportunities that are made available. These opportunities occur constantly - during build, competition, and during the off season. It is hoped that as participants mature and gain experience, that they become more open with each passing season, to the rich variety of opportunities made available to improve with and to learn from, as individuals and, as teams.

Readers of the threads that contain topics like these are interested in learning and gaining insight and/or understanding. If posts are filled with strong opinions, sarcasm, mud-slinging, and rude disagreements, that narrows the opportunities to learn and to understand the bigger picture. Give learning opportunities a chance. If you are frustrated and decide to post in a manner that is creating an atmosphere of derision, then walk away and take a break. You are missing a great opportunity by being a know-it-all, yourself.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 02-08-2011 at 12:47 PM.
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Before people get sidetracked into FIRST is/isn't a sport discussions, please look up 'nominalism' and ponder why discussions like that are a giant waste of time.
The Bausch Foundation and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Still a New Englander on the inside
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #5012 (Gryffingear)

smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute

The student vs. adult coach question surfaces almost every season. I've given my opinions on it in many of those threads, and I think that this post that I wrote two years ago is still a valid representation of my opinions on the issue. Basically, there isn't any one right answer to your question, you have to do what feels right for your team.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: