OCCRA
Go to Post anything is possible with dedication. - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Post-A-Holic
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Collmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura about
Re: Who would you like to see speak at a FIRST event?

how professional of you 2 to pass judgement on somebody who has never been convicted of a crime you know nothing about-
I think he's a great public speaker, just trying to contribute to the thread.
Kanye West is also a good choice. I got a chance to see him speak to reporters in miami this summer. He's a very classy guy - Most of you might think his recent media attention with the katrina disaster was atrocious-- I think it took alot of 'gonads' to say that at such a time, and at such a place.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 10:59 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collmandoman
how professional of you 2 to pass judgement on somebody who has never been convicted of a crime you know nothing about-
Kanye West is also a good choice. I got a chance to see him speak to reporters in miami this summer. He's a very classy guy - Most of you might think his recent media attention with the katrina disaster was atrocious-- I think it took alot of 'gonads' to say that at such a time, and at such a place.
See the results of the last time we had a rapper "speak" (He was on a video) at a FIRST event.

I'd much rather have someone who is actually related to what we do.

I don't think this would ever happen, but I just thought of someone I'd like to hear speak--Lance Armstrong. Everytime I've heard him speak in public, he's been incredibly articulate and thoughtful. Not to mention the fact that he has to be one of the most inspiring people alive.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
R Kellys problems are well docmented and he would be very inappropriate for a FIRST event whether or not he was convicted. It would be very frowned upon.

Personally I'd rather here from one of our Woddie Flowers award winners about how FIRST has changed their lives and the people around them.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Post-A-Holic
no team

Collmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura about

What happened the last time a rapper spoke?
And I still dunno... that seems to be stereotyping if you think one rappers speech would reflect the abilities of all others.
I'm bringing them up, because part of a first event is to excite and interest the audience, and the audience at these events are in the targeted age groups of these 2 performers.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Serial Volunteer
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I still dunno... that seems to be stereotyping if you think one rappers speech would reflect the abilities of all others.
I'm bringing them up, because part of a first event is to excite and interest the audience, and the audience at these events are in the targeted age groups of these 2 performers.
Check out Amanda's earlier post in this thread about Will Smith. just about any entertainer would be met with scorn. Could you imagine Brittiney Spears addressing the crowd at the championship?
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Post-A-Holic
no team

britney is speaking at the cahmpionship next year?
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nobody is interested in what someone has to say if it doesn't have any relevancy.

I don't think Kanye brings anything to the table other than the fact he raps. At least with other non technical speakers that have been mentioned, they all have something particularly interesting about them that they could share with us.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Serial Volunteer
FRC #0191

Quote:
britney is speaking at the cahmpionship next year?
Thankfully no.
It was bad enough when Mandy Moore showed up for the 2002 championship. I couldn't evecuate the area fast enough.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Post-A-Holic
no team

I didn't even think of this but.. kanye is black- and I know this is a somewhat unsupported claim- the % of black engineers does not reflect the % of black people in the country -- kanye could in a way help this
maybe not just kanye, but having black engineers- could speak and help dispell any negative stereotypes about race and engineering

P.S. What is wrong with mandy moore?

Last edited by Amanda Morrison : 10-17-2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: A comment found as derogatory, if not racist.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
17 awesome years of FRC!
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is not for discussing pedophilia, a musical performer's speech abilities, or someone's gonads. Please discuss this somewhere else, if you feel the need.

In the meantime, please remember that the children we are trying to positively influence do read these forums. Please evaluate your comments next time before you post.

Alumna - Teams 71, 1020, 1720, 148, 1296
Working to make sure all FRC students learn the beauty and benefit of communication skills to ensure their future success. Want help editing your awards submissions? Click here.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Post-A-Holic
no team

I agree lance armstrong would be a great speaker at a first event. Also the creators of BattleBotsIQ are great speakers, and allowing them to speak would show that we are all interested in aiding the development of young minds towards engineering- and would show how selfless FIRST is.

Last edited by Madison : 10-18-2005 at 12:47 AM. Reason: You were told to discuss it elsewhere.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-18-2005, 07:07 AM
54... What a good number!
no team

Dez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also the creators of BattleBotsIQ are great speakers, and allowing them to speak would show that we are all interested in aiding the development of young minds towards engineering- and would show how selfless FIRST is.
The creators of BBIQ are also FIRST alumnus.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez250
The creators of BBIQ are also FIRST alumnus.
Alumnus is the singular form. Alumni is the plural.

If it ends in "us", drop it and add an "i".

alumnus - alumni
cactus - cacti
radius - radii
octopus - octopi

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find more language to correct.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:14 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
Alumnus is the singular form. Alumni is the plural.
And let us not forget the feminine form, alumna and alumnae (I work at a women's college!)...

www.firstinspires.org | www.nefirst.org | www.firstnemo.org

Helping mentors since 2004
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:22 AM
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, alright, looks like we've sidetracked into "Off-Topic Land", an area I know I have to visit every so often but I am always happy to leave.

So, I'm going to post a new, but related question.

Now, we've heard a lot of different viewpoints from a lot of different people. But, do any of us on this forum actually know what's best for the target we're trying to hit with a speaker? Not necessarily. Not only are most of us in this thread out of the 14-18 bracket, but we're already FIRST-converted. Added with the fact that we're interested enough in FIRST that we take the time to be an active part of FIRST's Online Community, we are naturally more attuned to the science/tech sector than an average HS student would be. So, someone we may suggest because we like them may actually flop among who we're trying to reach.

But....does it matter? If we choose someone that would not normally be picked by someone in the target, will they react as well to the speaker?
What is the metric that we decide the successfulness of a speaker? Do more well-known speakers score better, or does a lesser-known speaker perform just as well?

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 10-18-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: