OCCRA
Go to Post Hyper, I want to marry your robot. - Keys [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > District Events
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Grouchy Alumni
AKA: Wes Jordan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
wjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud ofwjordan has much to be proud of
Re: Blue Wins

A binomial distribution puts the probability of 40 or more wins for blue in 61 matches (subtracting ties) at 1.021% (assuming equal win probability), or roughly 1 event per 100. While this seems unlikely, remember that there were 174 events total this season, meaning that we should expect this to happen at one or two events each season. So it's not THAT unusual to see.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2018, 05:09 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

The red lights around the plates emit heat (IR radiation) that heats up the carpet underneath the switch. This heat rises underneath the switch causing it to be pushed upward ever so slightly. Similarly, the red lights under the scale will produce heat that causes the red side of the scale to be pushed upward slightly.

When either the switch or scale is close to evenly balanced, this effect will favor the blue alliance and when taken in aggregate over a large number of qualification matches, this results in the blue alliance winning a disproportionate number of matches.

The Coriolis effect also factors into this, but I will leave that derivation as an exercise for the interested student....

/s
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Knock-off Dr. Strange
AKA: inkling16
no team (The Piztons)

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgorgen View Post
The red lights around the plates emit heat (IR radiation) that heats up the carpet underneath the switch. This heat rises underneath the switch causing it to be pushed upward ever so slightly. Similarly, the red lights under the scale will produce heat that causes the red side of the scale to be pushed upward slightly.

When either the switch or scale is close to evenly balanced, this effect will favor the blue alliance and when taken in aggregate over a large number of qualification matches, this results in the blue alliance winning a disproportionate number of matches.

The Coriolis effect also factors into this, but I will leave that derivation as an exercise for the interested student....

/s
Blue light has higher energy than red light as well, and since E=mc^2, the side with blue lights will weigh slightly more than the side with red lights, pulling down the scale a bit towards blue.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2018, 10:28 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
Blue light has higher energy than red light as well, and since E=mc^2, the side with blue lights will weigh slightly more than the side with red lights, pulling down the scale a bit towards blue.
Yes, exactly. And since the particles created at the quantum level when you convert that energy to mass all have positive spin, the Coriolis effect will cause those particles to exert a net downward momentum on the power cubes, at least in the northern hemisphere (which I alluded to in my earlier post). In the southern hemisphere, this momentum will be upward which will cancel out the affect of the heat generated lift on the red platform thus producing a fair game.

One could argue that the Houston Championships was therefore a better tournament than the Detroit Championships, at least for the red alliance. But I am not willing to go quite that far without first solving the Stern–Gerlach experiment accounting for the proximity of the magnetic north pole relative to Ford Field. I have postulated that due to relativistic effects, the shift in the angular momentum due to this nearby magnetic pole may in fact have caused the power cubes on the blue side of the switch and scale to move closer to the fulcrum when being launched and thereby reduce their average moment arm. Thus the matches that were played with a greater number of launches would result in a higher probability of a win for red whereas dropping the cubes would have favored blue, at least in Detroit (this effect is stronger near the magnetic pole). I am still performing the Chi squared analysis of the match data to confirm this theory.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Lucky husband and father.
FRC #0346

Rookie Year: 2013
346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of346CADmen has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinShalit View Post
Red played a force...
Thank you for pointing that out, I missed it. That explains the scoring in this match, but my OP holds.
Is their a quality control process for the field to assure it is working/scoring properly?
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 346CADmen View Post
Thank you for pointing that out, I missed it. That explains the scoring in this match, but my OP holds.
Is their a quality control process for the field to assure it is working/scoring properly?
There is a field calibration procedure that the FTA runs a few times per competition and if they ever think the field is out of spec. It involves tipping the scale/switch plates right to the switching point, then measuring to make sure that the height is within the prescribed tolerance. If they are out of spec, the FTA can adjust the sensors to trigger correctly.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: