Go to Post Don't try to kiss your stapler remover, those prongs are sharp... - MissInformation [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Now comes without cockiness.
AKA: Corn Dog
FRC #0125
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Corey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Corey Balint
Best Robot Ever(again)

Well i just discovered this thread from last year( http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...5&page=2&pp=30 ), and figured it would be a good discussion again, with the input of this years bots. I also want people to think of new ideas, rather then seeing they posted last year, and then they wont post again.

I'll state my case for 67 this year. A bot made like no others. Completely original design. They could doo soo much, capping, hanging, blocking, semi-corraling, superior defense, the amazing autonomous, and just overall design. I never thought something like that would be built. Just a genius idea. They simply dominated in Newton, and more or less had everyone trembling at the site of them.
Don't be scared to post something that is more than "dave is great" "here's my caption contest entry" and "overdrive is the best thing ever". Say something interesting. Say something that will make others think. Create discussion.
If you do say something that isn't just for fun or praising something, which hopefully you do, just be prepared to back up what you said.

Remember: GP is Gracious Professionalism, not Glorifiying Plesantries. Saying something negative does not mean you are evil. It could help someone out a lot.

Anything that I post is an opinion from my own mind. Some may agree with it, others may not. However do not negatively associate anyone else, including any team I work with, with my opinion.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Robot Ever(again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Balint
Well i just discovered this thread from last year( http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...5&page=2&pp=30 ), and figured it would be a good discussion again, with the input of this years bots. I also want people to think of new ideas, rather then seeing they posted last year, and then they wont post again.

I'll state my case for 67 this year. A bot made like no others. Completely original design. They could doo soo much, capping, hanging, blocking, semi-corraling, superior defense, the amazing autonomous, and just overall design. I never thought something like that would be built. Just a genius idea. They simply dominated in Newton, and more or less had everyone trembling at the site of them.
That robot was an offensive machine but that poor robot was just about doing everything and a bar runner like 868 was its worst type of robot to face (and this shoebox on wheels at Buckeye that harrassed them to distraction that they forgot to score).They and Webstar Sparx and GRR Robotics had an awesome run this year at Clevelanfd and the Championship.
Best robot we hooked up with this year

(and got hooked on )

Last edited by Koko Ed : 08-02-2004 at 07:24 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 07:46 PM
...misses her old team.
AKA: BurningQuestion
FRC #0716 (The Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Jaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jaine Perotti Send a message via MSN to Jaine Perotti Send a message via Yahoo to Jaine Perotti

There are so many incredible robots out there, it is nearly impossible for one to say that a particular robot is unarguably the best one. There are so many teams out there who deserve recognition for their robot's performance this season. Because of the many robots that I haven't seen, it is difficult for me to say which robot truly deserves the title of "the best", but I will nominate one particular team for being the closest I have seen to it.

Based on what I have seen personally, I'd have to argue for team 571's robot (although I may be a bit biased -- we were the winning alliance together in Hartford). They could collect balls efficiently and very quickly, cap the 2x easily, and play a really good defensive, strategic game. They could prevent other robots from scoring, as well as score many points for themselves because of their powerful drive train. Their robot was a well designed machine that was very versatile; for example, they were also able to right a tipped over alliance partner with their ball arm (they have done this multiple times for us). In Atlanta, they were undefeated on Archimedes field until the semifinal rounds, which in itself is quite an accomplishment for this year. The matches they lost were few and close...they always put up a good fight and played their matches extremely well. Their team has been very helpful to us this year...offering good friendship and advice to our team members. Thank you 571 for being one of our best alliance partners!!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 08:09 PM
"flock their sheep"
AKA: Jeffrey Li
FRC #2505 (The Electric Sheep) & FRC #0188 (Blizzard)
Team Role: Coach

J Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to J Flex 188 Send a message via AIM to J Flex 188

Beatty this year was efficient at everything they did. Superior defence and offense and the articulated chassis was just awesome to watch. And they managed to still use PVC for almost everything

Woburn Robotics, Class of 2005.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Why did I come back?
AKA: Jamie Bliss
FRC #4967 (That ONE Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of

HOT rocked. They were at both Buckeye and West MI (the 2 we went to). And they did really good in both. Not to mention the coolest stools!

Their auton was perfect and flawless. The design was excellent. They did everything we wanted to, and then some.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I've seen the best robot ever, given my one year in FIRST.

And I'm not even going to try and judge the best of this year, given that there were so many good ones. (S.P.A.M. comes to mind, as do the Killer Bees ball herder and 237's monkeybot.)

But y'all had better look out for 1319 (aka Golden Flash or Golden Strip Flash, depending on which source you see). Their robot was at Palmetto (and I think they were in Atlanta, too--just not on Archimedes), and they had the whole schimaymay when it came to balls. They could do anything with a mobile goal with such precision that it wasn't even funny. Lots of balls were scored by them, making for a nice balance with any robot that hung. I see them becoming a force to be reckoned with.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

112 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 72,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 08:29 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Team 254. I know statistically you cannot make this claim, but I think they are.

I know they and 60 had the same robot, but I think 254's drivers put them over the top. I think they've had the best driver in FIRST for the last four years.

Their robot did everything extremely well this year. Their autonomous mode was the fastest of any I've ever seen this year. They corralled tons of balls every match. They almost always got the big ball fast and easily, and could cap any goal with ease unless their grabber got caught on the PVC poles. After resolving the problems with their cable fraying and tangling they hung incredibly quickly from the floor.

$0.02

Cory
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best Robot Ever(again)

I have a tie for my favorite for the best robot. I liked both 71 and 494. The thing I liked best about 71 was that they had awesome capabilities to maneuver around the field and hold off other teams from capping, and at the end of the match they always seemed to cap their goal with a lot of little balls and hang. I also liked 494's robot. It may not have been the most sophisticated but it played the game their drive team wanted to play the game and thats why I think they won nationals. We lost to 71 and 494 in the Archimedes Finals. I think we did great for going up against those two very tough teams but they just out played us. But, getting back to the topic, 71's name("The BEAST") doesn't lie, it is one huge robot.

-kyle

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 06:40 AM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

When answering the "best robot ever" you have to look at who totally dominated the game. From my involvement with FIRST, you have to go all the way back to 2001. Hammond's bot in 2001 was amazing. Countless high national high scores, National (back then it was nationals) Champions, Motorolla Midwest Champions. Totally amazing robot.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 07:04 AM
Drive Coach
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)

Michael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Leicht has a reputation beyond repute

469 was the best robot ever because it did not hang. but took a different idea on winning with it sucking up small balls yet having the ability to cap the goal with a strong caping tool with the four parts holding that ball.
Team 1403 (2011- )- Mentor
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM
"flock their sheep"
AKA: Jeffrey Li
FRC #2505 (The Electric Sheep) & FRC #0188 (Blizzard)
Team Role: Coach

J Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond reputeJ Flex 188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to J Flex 188 Send a message via AIM to J Flex 188

kudos to 45 for having the same aformentioned game plan with an amazing ability, as well as the ability to hang (but i believe they never had to/meant to during a game)

Woburn Robotics, Class of 2005.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 11:45 AM
AKA: Mr. Lim
no team
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute

Two minutes...

One robot...

210 points.

... without hanging ...

... ROOKIE TEAM ...

That's a pretty strong case for 1241 isn't it?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 12:04 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

45 and 67 were great this year... whenever i think of 45 now it reminds of the killer arm and 67 reminds me of the wedge... two great teams with two great robot...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 01:22 PM
FRC #4707 (Mentor FRC#4707 Alumni FRC#710)

abeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to beholdabeD is a splendid one to behold

Well since this is the best ever thread I'm going to throw in some robots from past years

2003: 111...Overall just blew every other robot away..if it wasn't in defense of the ramp it was in its incredibly flexible autonomous.

2002: Even though 71 won, I have to go with 60 and their helicopter style of lifting the goals and letting them spin

2001: This was my first year so the robot that stands out the most was 312 (which one of the first great robots i saw in my rookie year), becuase of the way it seamlessly performed all the tasks in that game.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Robotics Education and Competition
AKA: J-Mo
no team (RECF)

Rookie Year: 1998
Jason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to base my list on one primary criteria – which robots in the history of FIRST (that I observed) did I feel were best designed and built for a particular game. When I got to a point that I couldn’t decide between a number of great robots, I fell back on the hypothetical question “if I had to pick one robot for one single match and they’d have the same identical alliance partners, which would I pick”. Some won Championships and some didn’t – but we all know some times teams just get some bad breaks at one event while everything might go as planned at another. All listed performed incredibly and were considered by many in the FIRST community amongst the “favorites” to win that years competition. So here are SOME of the robots I would consider the best ever built in FIRST.

2001 Team 71 Beatty Robot - it would be impossible to nail any game any better, all one could do is hope to design and build a robot to play the game so perfectly that you might tie them. It was virtually impossible to beat 71 unless they or their alliance made a mistake. This robot (along with the next one) was as close to a perfect design for a game that FIRST has ever seen.

2002 Team 60 Kingman Robot - the only other robot I've ever seen to pull off exactly what the 2000 Beatty machine did – perfect design for the game, basically unbeatable. This robot could not be beaten unless a bad break beyond their control opened the door for an opponent. These two robots (2001/71 and 2002/60) are the only two robots I've ever seen in FIRST where opposing teams basically knew that even if they played a perfect match for “their” robot, they couldn’t beat 71 or 60 unless those teams made a mistake or something broke.

2000 Team 47 Chief Delphi Robot - years ahead of it's time. One the most versatile, impressive, and spectator jaw dropping robots ever in FIRST. Collect balls from the floor or Human player, could score AND unscore, quick, agile, swerve drive, amazing arm – basically what a robot would be if you could genetically breed a crab with a clam.

2004 Team 254/60 Cheesy Poof/Kingman Robot - possibly the most well rounded robot I've ever seen in FIRST. Each year a few robots stand out for being one of the fastest, one of the most agile, one of the most versatile, one of the highest scoring, one of the best autonomous programs, one of the slickest looking - but rarely has one robot ever accomplished them all in the same year. (hesitated to list any 254 entry, since it's impossible not to have some bias based on past affiliation, but after some reflection I still felt this bot belongs on the list even taken with a grain of salt )

2000 Team 111 Wildstang Robot – While excellent arguments could be made to include virtually every Wildstang robot I’ve ever seen on such a list (funny thing, that really holds true for 60 and 71 also), the 2000 robot always impressed the heck out of me. Could collect and score more balls better and faster than any robot I think I saw that year – off the carpet and from the Human Player, could still go under the bar, could still hang, and made what must have been an amazingly complex ball chute system look smooth, fluid, and graceful.

1998 Team 45 Technokat Robot – They say imitation is sincerest form of flattery, and 45 has certainly given many ideas and designs to teams throughout FIRST. Maybe because it was the 1st FIRST Championship I ever witnessed, but this robot has always stood out to me. Might not stand out as “jaw dropping” like some of the others on this list that just perfected certain aspects the game, but this robot did it all, did it smooth, did it smart, and did it well. Fast, agile, great scoring ability, and great versatile design to adapt to however the match was going – offense or defense.

2000 Team 25 Robot – kind of the exact opposite of my review of the 2004 60/254 robot. Didn’t try to be versatile, in fact most teams could do more parts of the game much better than them, but by the playoffs of the championship, they were able to do one thing better than any other team in the country with a design that a few attempted but none perfected (similar to the balance two goals off the bridge aspect of the 2001 Beatty machine). To this day I still can’t look at one of those arcade games with the crane/claw mechanism you drop to try to grab a toy without thinking of that robot.

I can think of 10 or so great robots from the 1999 and 2003 seasons, but can’t really argue any stood out as clearly unbeatable or better than the others in the top tier - mostly due to the design of the 1999 and 2003 games.

In the interest of time, to fill out my top ten just pick a bot from Teams 16, 33, 67, 330, and 469 (now that I count them, I see that makes a "top dozen" list). These teams are consistently so impressive that each have multiple robots from the past 6 or 7 years which would be under consideration for any top ten list. It’s difficult to pick one particular robot of theirs over another but any “top robots in the history of FIRST” list would not be complete without entries from those teams included.

We all know there are MANY other robots from many teams that were so impressive they deserve to be in any discussion of best FIRST robots ever. Since few, or more likely none of us ever see every robot perform every year, the great thing about CD is that many such deserving teams will be listed by different people from different geographic areas in various posts.

Last edited by Jason Morrella : 08-03-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: