Go to Post When Andy Baker holds an iPhone 4 in his left hand, the signal [i]increases[/i]. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:33 PM
I like turtles
AKA: Elijah Steele
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Lij2015 has a spectacular aura aboutLij2015 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Lij2015
Re: IRI 2016 Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoulderite View Post

1. 2056-5172-3620-3683 (Name: OP Dave's Average Gators)
2. 330-2481-1086-1511 (Name: Rolling Blue Beach-ateers)
3. 1241-610-1477-25 (Name: The Theory of Texan Coyotes (feat. Team 25))
4. 118-67-1011-910 (Name: The Hot Robo-crush Freeze)
5. 179-1619-233-2826 (Name: Children of the Pink Creek Wave)
6. 195-225-16-2451 (Name: Cyber Pwnage Bomb Fire)
7. 868-1024-71-3824 (Name: HVA Techa-hamma-bytes)
8. 27-133-217-1675 (Name: Bert's Ultimate Thunder Rush)

TL;DR: Nope. Read the whole thing.
I see someone is a 1086 fan! I will also eat my hat if 195 falls that far.

Team 2363 Proud Alumni, Programmer/Driver 2013, 2014, 2015(Captain)
2016 Northern Virginia Winners (1418 and 2421)
2016 Hampton Roads Finalists(1885 and 5954)
2015 Chesapeake Regional Winners(1690 and 4050)
2015 Virginia Regional Winners(384 and 1610)
2014 Chesapeake Regional Winners(1629 and 623)
2013 Virginia Regional Finalists (3015 and 2053)
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:39 PM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute

Many are putting 5172 in their predictions - the website says that they are not going to be in attendance.

#48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 06:06 PM
AKA: jajabinx124
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Kshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Fay View Post
Many are putting 5172 in their predictions - the website says that they are not going to be in attendance.
Most likely because some people started making predictions before the final list was released.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Silver Medal Stockholm Syndrome
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajabinx124 View Post
341 is not on the final team list.
Darn. Edited with changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchMN View Post
I think you switched 2502 and 2052. 2052 is the much better team this year.
Depends on what you're looking for in your pick, although I certainly appreciate the modesty.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:15 PM
no team

Kshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond reputeKshitij Wavre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Leonard View Post
Depends on what you're looking for in your pick, although I certainly appreciate the modesty.
HutchMN is too modest.. , 2502 built a good robot as well this year!

It makes more sense to put 2502 with 225 and 2481 anyway since both of them shoot from the outerworks they may want a batter shooter for their 3rd robot.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Maybe now 4536 can win a regional
AKA: Ben Young
no team

Rookie Year: 2014
youngace89 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungace89 has a spectacular aura aboutyoungace89 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
It makes more sense to put 2502 with 225 and 2481 anyway since both of them shoot from the outerworks they may want a batter shooter for their 3rd robot.
And one that could climb as consistently as Talon did in the Galileo playoffs. They were a very effective second pick for that alliance.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 11:12 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngace89 View Post
And one that could climb as consistently as Talon did in the Galileo playoffs. They were a very effective second pick for that alliance.
Agreed. If I counted it right during some of 2502's elims matches in Galileo they scored most of the boulders for their alliance at times and scaled consistently.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
no team

FiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud ofFiMFanatic has much to be proud of
Talking Re: IRI 2016 Predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij2015 View Post
I see someone is a 1086 fan! I will also eat my hat if 195 falls that far.
I predict someone has to eat a hat!
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 07:52 PM
AKA: Ian Beazley
FRC #1640 (Sab-BOT-age)

NonStopScouting will become famous soon enough

Before I finish up prescouting and making my own prediction for alliances, here are some general predictions I have, along with some questions for the community to get a better idea of what the teams going to IRI are looking for picking wise (so I can make my predictions more accurate).

General Predictions:
  • 2056 will win (with whatever alliance they happen to be a part of)
  • Palindrome Alliance (absolutely loved that post)
  • Finals will be a game of 3 offensive bots vs 2 offensive bots and a defending bot (If Einstein ended that way, why not IRI)
  • At least two alliances will use their backup bot when none of the other robots on their alliance are broken (for strategy reasons). Expanding on this point I personally think the backup bots could be used a lot more than they are this year. For example you could have a defense bot you switch in against certain alliances, or have an outerworks shooter for when you are against defense. Especially at IRI when there will be some good robots left after alliance selection.

Questions for the IRI community:
  • Which is more valuable: Single auton high goal or scaling? They are equivalent points wise, but are they the same value for picking?
  • How does batter, outerworks, turret, and midfield shooting stack up? Is a midfield turret bot more likely to be picked than an outerworks bot?
  • At what point would you put in a defense bot? For example there isn't much point using courtyard defense against three tall outerworks bots. Would you still run another type of defense or would you only run defense against 3 midfield shooters?
By midfield shooting I mean shooting from the courtyard, but not the batter or the outerworks. That middle zone in-between the two.
Can't wait until IRI! It is going to be fun!
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 08:33 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopScouting View Post
  • Which is more valuable: Single auton high goal or scaling? They are equivalent points wise, but are they the same value for picking?
  • How does batter, outerworks, turret, and midfield shooting stack up? Is a midfield turret bot more likely to be picked than an outerworks bot?
  • At what point would you put in a defense bot? For example there isn't much point using courtyard defense against three tall outerworks bots. Would you still run another type of defense or would you only run defense against 3 midfield shooters?
By midfield shooting I mean shooting from the courtyard, but not the batter or the outerworks. That middle zone in-between the two.
I think single auton high goal is more valuable because the tower strength decreases. In my opinion contributing to the capture is more important than 10 more points for scaling than challenging.

Outerwork shooters are more likely to be picked than mid-field shooters just like championships and regionals in my opinion. It's a protected zone and in order to shut down an outerwork shooter you need blocker of some sort. It forces your opponents to be creative in order to stop you, whereas with a mid-field bot all a defensive bot has to do is push you to mess up the shot. So it still remains the same to me picking wise Outerworks > Batter > Midfield. Not many teams have the ability to do this but shooting from the wall is also a great way to shoot under defense- teams like 1241 and 5172 have pulled it off very well during competition season.

I would put in a defensive bot against 3 tall outerworks shooters... especially if their alliance is non-stop cycling in boulders. Blockers can stop outerwork shooters too. I would run defense against a batter shooter as well if it was strategically advantageous. The defender basically has to make it tough as possible for the batter shooter to get on the batter when they are cycling boulders in, examples being coming in their way while they are trying to travel toward the batter.

Last edited by Kshitij Wavre : 07-02-2016 at 08:37 PM.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team

Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think single auton high goal is more valuable because the tower strength decreases. In my opinion contributing to the capture is more important than a 10 more points for scaling than challenging.
getting fouls.
The thing is a capture is going to be almost trivial for any alliance at IRI. The only matches without captures are probably going to be related to robots not getting on the batter on time.

So, from there I would check consistency. Which is higher Robot A's single ball auton consistency or Robot B's scaling consistency. Whichever one is getting those extra points more often wins.

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Silver Medal Stockholm Syndrome
FRC #5254 (HYPE), FRC #20 (The Rocketeers)

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopScouting View Post
These are good questions.
  • The single auto shot has the benefit of lowering the tower, but in IRI elims you should have enough teleop boulders to lower the tower anyway, and that team is likely going to score that ball the instant teleop starts. It also depends how consistent they both are, because even elite scaling bots missed climbs this season quite often.
  • I'd pick Outer Works and batter over midfield every time, and probably tall outer works over batter, although it depends on the role the robot is trying to perform, and the volume of balls they output.
  • I'd run a defensive robot if I thought they could lower the output of my opponents more than my third offense bot would add to my own offense. So short outer works shooters are prime targets, and robots that are used to running specific sets. I might also run some robots on feeding or something that's a hybrid offense/defense role of sorts.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2016, 08:44 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperkowsky View Post
The thing is a capture is going to be almost trivial for any alliance at IRI. The only matches without captures are probably going to be related to robots not getting on the batter on time.

So, from there I would check consistency. Which is higher Robot A's single ball auton consistency or Robot B's scaling consistency. Whichever one is getting those extra points more often wins.
True, but IRI may see heavy defense in eliminations making it tougher to capture in teleop so going with the single ball auton may be a safer choice but that's a weak argument because of the number of great shooters IRI contains, so I agree that the capture will be trivial for any alliance at IRI and if it comes down to that, going with whichever one is most consistent (single ball auto or scaling) is the best choice.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Considering how much of a part they played on getting to Einstein and through Einstein with their intense defense I'm surprised 1405 has not made anyone's predictions. I'm sure 2056 will not pass them by.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2016, 10:59 AM
AKA: Gabriel Krotkov
FRC #1712 (Dawgma)

GKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud ofGKrotkov has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
Considering how much of a part they played on getting to Einstein and through Einstein with their intense defense I'm surprised 1405 has not made anyone's predictions. I'm sure 2056 will not pass them by.
Wait, do you possibly mean that strategic flexibility is a desirable trait in a 4-team alliance of which only 3 can be on the field at a time?

Mind = blown.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: